Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever done any voluntary work?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Spent a few yrs volunteering for local conservation project many moons ago. This lead to full time work at the same project. Since then have volunteered for Age Uk in their shop and also home support work, helping older people with tasks around their homes.

Oct 25, 2003
after a period of pissing about I decided to get off my arse and started volunteering for the homeless projects at st. peters church (safehaven, safehaven men, night shelter) as well as doing anything else they needed doing around the place. From that I got my current job as a support worker for rough sleepers. I'd highly recommend volunteering

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
It's not charity work but I help operate a model railway layout at exhibitions up and down the country, just for the fun of it. Obviously others give their time to more worthy causes but it's unpaid and I do it for the love of it (often being out of pocket on travelling and accomodation). The only problem is that it uses up all my annual leave and I don't have any left over to take a 'proper' holiday.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
:bowdown: to everyone in this thread!

Being made redundant after 25 years of soul destroying work in various factories, I decided on a career change and I now volunteer 20 hours per week in a local primary school while I study at university to be a teaching assistant. At 50 years old it's never too late and I'm loving every minute of it. It's so rewarding when you see that lightbulb moment in a child when you've just helped them to understand something. I only wish I had made this move years ago.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I help out at a couple of Dogs Trust homes around my area. As another poster mentioned, it's mainly dog walking or helping with grooming etc, but it is really rewarding. As I'm such a dog lover, it can be a bit difficult when you see animals that have been so poorly treated and it makes you want to adopt all of them, but it is a good experience nonetheless.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Yes before I became a paid sports coach.

Try AITC, you would go into schools and after school clubs and coach football and other sports to both disabled and mainstream children, its good fun, rewarding and looks great on your CV :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They always need non-parent governors at schools.

Sounds interesting (as did your previous post) :thumbsup:

I'm a school governor and it is a very interesting and rewarding post to take up. Skills need to attract as broad a skill base as possible for their boards and obviously it's harder to attract good community governors than it is parents who obviously have the commitment of their kids being at the school.

https://www.gov.uk/become-school-college-governor

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I did a bit of scrub clearance and stuff on the Downs with New Leaf Conservation, which was quite enjoyable.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
:bowdown: to everyone in this thread!

Being made redundant after 25 years of soul destroying work in various factories, I decided on a career change and I now volunteer 20 hours per week in a local primary school while I study at university to be a teaching assistant. At 50 years old it's never too late and I'm loving every minute of it. It's so rewarding when you see that lightbulb moment in a child when you've just helped them to understand something. I only wish I had made this move years ago.

Good stuff EE. A friend of mine did a PGCE at 48 and now teaches A level Maths. He says he never worked harder than his PGCE year and his NQT year.

Out of interest, what do you need to study to be a TA?

PG

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I've been a scout leader for 20 years and could never leave the role. Seeing young people challenge themselves and overcome personal issues is amazing. Scouting is always looking out for adults to give some time on a weekly or monthly basis.

I also run an under 9's footie team in Woodingdean and again i get such a kick out of seeing the things we do in training actually come off on the pitch.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Yes before I became a paid sports coach.

Try AITC, you would go into schools and after school clubs and coach football and other sports to both disabled and mainstream children, its good fun, rewarding and looks great on your CV :thumbsup:

When I was made redundant in 2011, having qualified volunteer coach experience meant I was able to do some paid coaching in schools/clubs which helped tide me over whilst I was setting up my own business. Volunteering is often helpful for the world of work/CVs.

PG

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
In my summer holidays I worked with Cherish Playschemes in Hove which provides fantastic support to families who have disabled children. Basically we used to take them for a couple of hours a day to free up the parents who were without exception saints. It was humbling to see how grateful they were for such a small amount of my time. The children were without exception inspiring...Thoroughly recommend to everyone giving something back to those less fortunate than yourselves.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Good stuff EE. A friend of mine did a PGCE at 48 and now teaches A level Maths. He says he never worked harder than his PGCE year and his NQT year.

Out of interest, what do you need to study to be a TA?

PG

I'm not sure what qualifies you to be a TA to be honest. In the school where I work, there are several TA's that started working there as volunteers or mealtime assistants who were later offered full time employment as TA's with no qualification. When I started out, I thought I was taking the appropriate steps to reach my goal, but I've since been told that if i'm successful at university, then i'll be over qualified to be a TA. But I don't mind, i'm getting funded to do it, and I don't have to pay it back until i'm earning 21k per year, and TA's get about 18k. The main thing is i'm happy, and that's far more important to me than money. I've also been told that just being a man is an advantage if I want to work in a primary school as there is a severe shortage of male staff (just 17%) in primary schools. I'm studying for a foundation degree in teaching & learning and it lasts for 2 years, it's hard work but certainly worth it.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Have you, do you, what, where, why, etc?

Thinking of having a bit of a go myself, I have the time for it. Wondered how many good citizens inhabit NSC?

My girlfriend (who works for YMCA - previously did similar for Brighton Council but they were made redundant, along with pretty much all care for young people) is looking for volunteers to help mentor 16-25 year olds with multiple barriers to engagement (basically very screwed up kids who don't communicate, to put it less politicorrectly).
1-2 hours per week with training & ongoing support. Aim is to get them towards employment if possible but at least help them develop life skills. If that sounds like something you might fancy a go at, lob me a pm

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well this is turning into rather a spirit-lifting sort of thread.

What a fine bunch of people you all are :)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Been a school governer, been on the Mid Sussex Football League committee and helped found a junior football club over 25 years ago and am still heavily involved. There are a host of bit parts to play that usually will fit in with someone's skillset.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I so some stuff with the AITC cancer ABC campaign and I do two afternoon in local rehabs. Both rewarding in their own way. Go for it.

I'd like to help AITC with similar projects. Who should I be contacting? I've emailed AITC a couple of times and also approached them through twitter and never get a response. Really frustrating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here