Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever done any voluntary work?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Have you, do you, what, where, why, etc?

Thinking of having a bit of a go myself, I have the time for it. Wondered how many good citizens inhabit NSC?
My school is always looking for volunteers. Could you see yourself doing assisted reading sessions with young special needs kids? Based in Burgess Hill.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My school is always looking for volunteers. Could you see yourself doing assisted reading sessions with young special needs kids? Based in Burgess Hill.

Sounds interesting (as did your previous post) :thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I seem to recall that there is football club on the southcoast that needs strong minded, outdoor types that can head & kick leather objects into netted apparatus :wozza:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, and it's part of my life that I wouldn't swap. I volunteer with the Milton Keynes Reader Service - which means that I read and write for a visually impaired guy.

I would urge you to do something - I'm sure you won't regret it

Fantastic stuff. Good to see plenty of people on here seem to be involved with so many different things :thumbsup:

It's partly self interest, I suppose, as I'd like to do something a bit different with my spare time. But my thought process was also that if that could somehow be to the greater good in the meantime- I hope that doesn't sound too corny- then so much the better :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I seem to recall that there is football club on the southcoast that needs strong minded, outdoor types that can head & kick leather objects into netted apparatus :wozza:

You've seen what we get for £10k per week though. Imagine what the ones who cost nothing would be like :ohmy:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was a magistrate for 9 years but that's out if you're a serving police officer (nothing to stop you once you've retired/left though). I gave it up when HMCTS started treating us like employees.
I'm looking for something else to take it's place now.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
It was 50 years ago this month I was on Voluntary Service at The Leonard Cheshire home in Littleborough, Lancashire. It was then part of training as a police cadet with the then East Sussex Police Force. All these years later I still have very fond memories of this period of my life and friends and people met, although at the time it was a complete culture shock to an 18 year old! I remember a very wet night at Spotland watching Rochdale v Brighton, some fabulous nights at the night club under Rochdale Town Hall with The Searchers, Gerry & the Pacemakers etc. I like to think that that experience, coupled with the compulsory Outward Bound course in Eskdale, shaped a lot of the rest of my life. If you have the chance, and the time to give to help others, go for it.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
When I was unemployed I felt the need to 'earn' my benefit .......at least that's how it started. I registered with the Volunteer service and ended up driving vans for the WRVS Meals on wheels service for the elderly. I encountered some stressful situations as you can imagine but I would recommend it as I met some great people and to be honest a happy by product was that it made me feel good about myself at a time when my self esteem was very low. I'm told it was one of the reasons I finally got a job as they could see I didn't want to sit around on my backside watching shit daytime TV ....

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I've been a back-up mechanic on a couple of classic car rallies which have been fund raisers for Chase Hospice in Guildford and Wessex Cancer Trust respectively. It's a bit of a jolly in as much as my channel crossings and hotels are paid for but my mate and I give our time so I guess it's sort of volunteering in a sense.Also 3 weeks in the Pyrenees and north western Spain kind of sweetens the deal.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
can I stick a plug in here for volunteering at any animal charity at the sharp end or even just answering the phone.
most of my volunteering has been with animals(especialy with cats but not exclusively) and I found it great but not everyones cup of tea,especially trying to trap some wayward tom cat in the early hours of the morning after he has had a night out on the tiles or trying to coax someones dog out of the brambles neither of which are particularly grateful, but I must say it was sometimes fun and nice to hand back peoples pets that had got into trouble

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes - when I finished my degree (in countryside management) I stayed up in the NW for a further year, doing voluntary habitat management work at a nature reserve. Not that any qualifications are needed - they'll welcome anyone physically fit, to help - clear invading plants, repair footpaths and bridges, etc. Even if you're not fit there's often other stuff to do - litter picking, bird counts, etc.

Also, various bits of football and cricket coaching over the years.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've worked for Young Enterprise, going into schools and teaching kids from reception to year 11, especially those in deprived areas, about how aspects of society, such as education, the NHS, trade etc affect them. The material is all prepared for you, and it is rewarding.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've done mentoring of young people with various difficulties (often involving a stretch) who've received grants from the Prince's Trust to help set them up in business for the last 20 or so years. As an organisation their success rate in their clients' businesses still being in business five years after the grant being made is ~6 times as high as those whose creditworthiness is sufficient to get them a bank loan.

Every other Christmas I help out in the local shelter for homeless folk, generally cooking and/or serving Christmas dinner.

I'd recommend both activities.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Nothing very exciting. A few bits and bobs here, my wife used to do the shopping for some old dears in Burgess Hill and my mother used to deliver Meals on Wheels which involved collecting the meals from St Francis Hospital, which was often an interesting experience when I was a child. Are Meals on Wheels still going?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here