Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Eurovision - Liverpool To Host In 2023

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
No doubt there is brilliant English music - lots of it - but rather than some musical superiority, the fact that English is the most spoken language in the world has some effect on these top lists. You think Elton John would have sold 300 million records if he was doing the exact same music but singing in Norwegian?

To be honest, I'm not much of a fan of most of the best selling stuff and would be happy if Elton was an obscure bar piano player in Kristiansand. You're no doubt right that the lack of a language barrier made it far easier for British acts to crack the US. However, you also have to remember that the 60s R&B boom that became rock music was a much bigger thing in the UK than in most of Europe. Hamburg was importing British acts to play in their clubs because there were lots of them. The skiffle boom of the mid fifties was a particularly British phenomena and fed the obsession with black American music that saw many UK acts well positioned to take advantage of the sixties boom. The language advantage is of course, a two way street and it must have contributed to obscure R&B songs becoming dominant for UK teenagers whilst more instrumental sounds like jazz held sway in France.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I agree with Swansman though, first time in a while, Elton John is incredible.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
99 Luftballons was originally a German song (by a German band), with 99 Red Balloons an English language reworking.

I knew that, was merely highlighting multilingual output

Then we get onto mish mash songs ( Anglo/Franco being a good example )

LEst we forget the English rockers of the early 60's trying to be AMerican!

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
IMG-20220521-WA0000.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I notice Brighton as being a possible contender to host it, but the rules state the venue must accommodate 10,000 spectators, we haven't got anywhere that size have we, how many does The Brighton Centre hold?
:shrug:

Unless they're using the World Cup break to stick a roof on the Amex?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I notice Brighton as being a possible contender to host it, but the rules state the venue must accommodate 10,000 spectators, we haven't got anywhere that size have we, how many does The Brighton Centre hold?
:shrug:

4,450. So that excludes it as a possibility.

Interestingly, the Dome (y'know, 1974 and all that!) holds just 1,700. Wonder when the capacity requirements changed?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Don't care about this sort of thing but held in Brighton again would be good. Though I suppose it's probably outgrown the Brighton centre, so not here then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here