Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

European cities

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yeah hamburg looks pretty decent want to go for the weekend 25th of jan till 27th wouldn't mind going to a bundesliga game either

If you're lucky, St Pauli might be at home - far better than a Bundesliga game. But Hamburg is thoroughly recommended anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
you have europes and possibly the worlds best city 50 minutes train ride away.

I think you'll find Berlin is about 11 hours by train.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Went to Lisbon with the Mrs last year, we both loved it. Gonna go on a jolly with the boys in the spring and take in a Benfica game.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
If you're lucky, St Pauli might be at home - far better than a Bundesliga game. But Hamburg is thoroughly recommended anyway.

hamburg is my favourite european city by a long chalk. I stay at the Hotel Hafen in St Pauli, fantastic views of the river and superb little bierstube in the hotel, and a short walk to the action.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Let me know what youre into, type of music, drink, drugs, girls etc...
Think it was well summed up by Superphil quite well...sadly, we have closed our club. Was getting out of hand.
Looking to take bar in the future, but still looking for the right place. Still, let me know what your after, and I can steer
you in the right directions.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Wanting to go to a European city for my birthday with a few lads obviously for a piss up. Any recommendations? Was thinking of prague.

Depends what you want. Prague is very very good, but not as cheap as it used to be.

As already mentioned Hamburg is good for pissups, as is Amsterdam. Amsterdam has the obvious advantage of still being friendly if you want a bit of spliff as well, but drinking in Amsterdam is expensive.

A bit more outside the box, Ukraine is becoming a top (and cheap) destination and they've relaxed their visa requirements for eu citizens now meaning you just need your passport to get in. Kiev and Odessa have both been recommended to me. Although it might be a bit cold at this time of year.

I had a night's stayover in Budapest last year and that was awsome for going out on the piss and very cheap. I couldn't believe how small my bar bills were. If you do go to Budapest, watch out for the scams, in particular, don't bother with strip clubs there, they're all a rip off and you could get talen for a lot.

In general central and Eastern Europe has the closest thing to a British drinking culture.

European cities to avoid if all you want is a piss up:
Rome, Athens - not many bars or really a drinking culture.
Cyprus (Ayia Napa in particular) - It's off season now and many of the best bars are shut til next year

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Try some of the old Soviet countries - Vilnius, in particular, has been recommended to me. Riga and Tallinn are supposed to be good too. The advantage is that they're not overrun by stag dos and they're relatively cheap for booze. Dusseldorf is lovely though - got some friends who live near there in Meerbusch and I've been over a few times. Beer's good too

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Rarely see stag do's in Prague nowadays...they seem to be going to Riga, and the other Baltic cities.... it is getting more expensive, here, but I doubt if most people from the UK would notice it...
The things you would be interested in, ie drink, food and sex, are all still very cheap.
Beer outside the center is 28kc for large beer (28kc is roughly a pound).. small beer around 19kc..in clubs, around 35kc/25kc...in the center, read 55kc large beer, 35kc for small beer...in clubs....ridiculous prices...
Ive seen bottles of beer in supermarket at 7kc...SEVEN???
I did hear that Karlovy Lazne (the 5 floor club by Charles bridge) was selling beer at 150kc for large beer?!?!?!
Most of the better clubs are outside the center anyway.
Eat food away from center also, particularly Zizkov, where theres plenty of good food available, at ridiculous prices. As told to me by a local...the chefs in Zizkov train at the same Cooking School as the chefs in the center..im always surprised by it...some scruffy little place with chairs and tables that dont match, serving up huge portions of good food.... if you like pig, duck or gulas, you will be fine.

Clubs: Radost Fx by IP Pavlova - RnB, HipHop, Soul

Sazazu...big club outside the center (Holesovice), owned by a Czech model SaSaZu Prague – Experience Asia

Lucerna just off Wenceslas is 80s/90s pop on Friday/saturday...crap music, but a shedload of good looking local women. Bit Top Rankish, but beautiful art nouveau venue...and normal Czech girls.

Cross Club by Holesovice metro Drum/Bass, Dubstep/reggae

Yes on Zitna (paralell with Wenceslas sq) dubstep, house.

Double Trouble, not strictly a club, its free, but club vibes, male tourists, female locals, and just below wenceslas, on route towards the
Old town square.

Palac Akropolis (Zizkov by TV Tower) - independant bands, world music, good cheap restaurant, two or three nice bar areas.

Duplex on Wenceslas is one of the 'classy' clubs and tends to be full of women who probably are models.

Chapeau Rouge, behind the church on the old town square, is very popuiar bar...3 floors, different music on each floor, free, but full of
American students, where you can hear the....'and I was like wow, and he was like yeah, awesome, and I was like' etc..but you can buy
grass there...

but, theres small music clubs everywhere in the city... for others see Clubs in Prague - Nightlife

The place I enjoy the most is the after club place called Le Clan, which is just behind the museum at top of square..
doesnt really get going until 3am, but thats where a lot of the cabaret girls/strippers etc chill..locals and expats....amazing place, that you would walkl past if you didnt know about it...just a door on a residential street, but great interior, 3 floors etc...
100kc entrance, probably best not to go in large groups.... Club Prague | Le Clan Prague | Private Club for Good People in Prague

Many of the bars in Zizkov sell grass... many of the bars let you smoke grass, but use your sense, and check with the barman before lighting up...
If they say no, then just go outside and smoke...When you see people standing outside bars here, its because they are smoking grass....
Whilst I wouldnt advise smoking directly in front of the police, they do have a good attitude about it...you can hold 15gr legally.
Many bars wont sell to strangers though, so if you need help, drop me a mail.

Its a safe city, ive never seen a fight here in 6 years (other than my old music club, where it was obligatory, with Russian customers amongst each other).... but ive not seen it.
Only other negative are pickpockets, who are very good... ive watched guys being robbed in broad daylight by Roma girls.. so, if girls come up to you in street offering sex, and rubbing you.....well, they are checking your pockets, and you will be robbed.
Other than that...have fun...I think its a great place to live, and cant imagine moving anywhere else, other than back to Brighton

Last edited:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Düsseldorf - yes.
Cologne - yes.
Berlin - yes.
Munich - no. Unless you like paying far more than you would in any other German city.
Budapest - absolutely.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Rarely see stag do's in Prague nowadays...they seem to be going to Riga, and the other Baltic cities.... it is getting more expensive, here, but I doubt if most people from the UK would notice it...
The things you would be interested in, ie drink, food and sex, are all still very cheap.
Beer outside the center is 28kc for large beer (28kc is roughly a pound).. small beer around 19kc..in clubs, around 35kc/25kc...in the center, read 55kc large beer, 35kc for small beer...in clubs....ridiculous prices...
Ive seen bottles of beer in supermarket at 7kc...SEVEN???
I did hear that Karlovy Lazne (the 5 floor club by Charles bridge) was selling beer at 150kc for large beer?!?!?!
Most of the better clubs are outside the center anyway.
Eat food away from center also, particularly Zizkov, where theres plenty of good food available, at ridiculous prices. As told to me by a local...the chefs in Zizkov train at the same Cooking School as the chefs in the center..im always surprised by it...some scruffy little place with chairs and tables that dont match, serving up huge portions of good food.... if you like pig, duck or gulas, you will be fine.

Clubs: Radost Fx by IP Pavlova - RnB, HipHop, Soul

Sazazu...big club outside the center, owned by a Czech model SaSaZu Prague – Experience Asia

Lucerna just off Wenceslas is 80s/90s pop on Friday/saturday...crap music, but a shedload of good looking local women. Bit Top Rankish, but beautiful art nouveau venue...and normal Czech girls.

Cross Club by Holesovice metro Drum/Bass, Dubstep/reggae

Yes on Zitna (paralell with Wenceslas sq) dubstep, house.

Double Trouble, not strictly a club, its free, but club vibes, male tourists, female locals, and just below wenceslas, on route towards the
Old town square.

Palac Akropolis (Zizkov by TV Tower) - independant bands, world music, good cheap restaurant, two or three nice bar areas.

Duplex on Wenceslas is one of the 'classy' clubs and tends to be full of women who probably are models.

Chapeau Rouge, behind the church on the old town square, is very popuiar bar...3 floors, different music on each floor, free, but full of
American students, where you can hear the....'and I was like wow, and he was like yeah, awesome, and I was like' etc..but you can buy
grass there...

but, theres small music clubs everywhere in the city... for others see Clubs in Prague - Nightlife

The place I enjoy the most is the after club place called Le Clan, which is just behind the museum at top of square..
doesnt really get going until 3am, but thats where a lot of the cabaret girls/strippers etc chill..locals and expats....amazing place, that you would walkl past if you didnt know about it...just a door on a residential street, but great interior, 3 floors etc...
100kc entrance, probably best not to go in large groups.... Club Prague | Le Clan Prague | Private Club for Good People in Prague

Many of the bars in Zizkov sell grass... many of the bars let you smoke grass, but use your sense, and check with the barman before lighting up...
If they say no, then just go outside and smoke...When you see people standing outside bars here, its because they are smoking grass....
Whilst I wouldnt advise smoking directly in front of the police, they do have a good attitude about it...you can hold 15gr legally.
Many wont sell to strangers though, so if you need help, drop me a mail.

Its a safe city, ive never seen a fight here in 6 years (other than my old music club, where it was obligatory, with Russian customers amongst each other)....it happens, but ive not see it much in the city..

Only other negative are pickpockets, who are very good... ive watched guys being robbed in broad daylight by Roma girls.. so, if girls come up to you in street offering sex, and rubbing you.....well, they are checking your pockets, and you will be robbed.
Other than that...have fun...I think its a great place to live, and cant imagine moving anywhere else, other than back to Brighton

Thanks Dave , i will use this info next time i am up in Prague :) , was there on Sunday watching Sparta v Brno . Think a lot of stag do's come to Brno now , cheap from Stanstead and beer and food still cheap between 24kc - 34kc for 1/2 litre , clubs hardly anything to get in and accomodation cheap if you take your time checking prices. We get up to 8 stag do's at weekends in the summer (not all English), thinning out a bit now.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Plenty of options so it really depends on what you want -cost, quality, evening entertainment, cultural, etc but another destination to throw in is Madrid, a real party town but more sophisticated than some mentioned.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Me and a bunch of others have gone pretty much everywhere except Germany. I think the drawback with Prague and Amsterdam is they are really expensive to drink in now that they are fashionable. I recommend going further into eastern Europe while it's less popular. Had stupendous times in Krakow, Budapest and particularly Bratislava, all really good for clubbing, cheap food and drink and friendly people. You can cross borders pretty easily and see a few countries at a time if you fancy trying a few. If you need any tips for hostels give me a shout :)

davey

Intacwarrior
Apr 22, 2009
Cheers for all your help lads, think I'm going to go with hamburg a I've had a look into it and it looks very good. Flights are ridiculously cheap as well about £60 return from gatwick!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Valencia.

Went with with a group of mates for a weekend this time last year, saw a match at the Mestalla, some good bars and nightclubs, but also not flooded with tourists. Cheap flights, and a nice alternative city to the usual suspects.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Drinking in Prague expensive? How tight are you? Haha Ill be in Mikiluv over the weekend. Will br interesting to see the prices in the boondocks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here