Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Europa League

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
From a supporters point of view it would be one of the greatest achievements the club has had, certainly the most fun.

Let's be honest we could play the U21's in Europe and I don't think the majority of fans would care. It's ust the ridiculous experience of seeing Brighton in Europe that counts. For those of the fan base that spent years going to away games in Halifax, Rotherham, Colchester etc, who spent two years going to 'home' games in Gillingham the chance to do an away day in some far flung part of Europe is just an unbelievable prospect.

Away days in Tallinn, Prague, Baku, Budapest etc? Come on!!!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
We already have a large number of players on our books. Some of them just happen to be out on loan. IF we qualify for Europe we can bolster our numbers by sending less out on loan. Some of those players will already have experienced playing in European competition. David Weir has said we want to be a destination club. Europe is part of the plan, it always as been.

Adringa in particular looks like he’s ready to make the step up. Gilmour also needs more game time.

There’s gaps in our squad at the moment. We need cover for Pervis, but if we did qualify for Europe we’ll need some Veltman style deals to be made to play alongside the youth.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Happy to be proved wrong about Alzate too if he turns out to be RDZ ready after all.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've said it before and I'll keep shouting it out loud. On the day my Seagull Travel plane touches down in outer somewhere or other, I'll do a 'Pope' (the big man not the keeper). Walking down the steps I'll kiss the European tarmac and shed so many tears.
Sod the younger fans, let them support a team for 50 plus years waiting for that moment.
Having said that, I bleive our squad is big enough to cope with Thursday Sunday Thursday games.

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
Adringa in particular looks like he’s ready to make the step up. Gilmour also needs more game time.

There’s gaps in our squad at the moment. We need cover for Pervis, but if we did qualify for Europe we’ll need some Veltman style deals to be made to play alongside the youth.
agreed, I think we'd need 3-4 signings plus promotion from the loan army

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
We already have a large number of players on our books. Some of them just happen to be out on loan. IF we qualify for Europe we can bolster our numbers by sending less out on loan. Some of those players will already have experienced playing in European competition. David Weir has said we want to be a destination club. Europe is part of the plan, it always as been.
Agree, they were sent out on loan willy nilly by the previous regime !

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
From a supporters point of view it would be one of the greatest achievements the club has had, certainly the most fun.

Let's be honest we could play the U21's in Europe and I don't think the majority of fans would care. It's ust the ridiculous experience of seeing Brighton in Europe that counts. For those of the fan base that spent years going to away games in Halifax, Rotherham, Colchester etc, who spent two years going to 'home' games in Gillingham the chance to do an away day in some far flung part of Europe is just an unbelievable prospect.

Such an exciting prospect. I can't believe anyone is worried about practicalities like the squad being overstretched.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Such an exciting prospect. I can't believe anyone is worried about practicalities like the squad being overstretched.
Indeed.

Don't think it is much of a problem either. Generally speaking the group stage games are a walk in the park for any PL/La Liga/Serie A side. Most teams are League One quality at that stage. Later on, yes playing in Europa League quarter/semi finals could have negative impact on league games but at that stage no one is going to give a shit because the team is a handful of games away from winning a European Cup and qualifying for the Champions League.

Don't remember who it was but some clever old PL manager said that playing in Europe means you want two additional players in the squad. If Brighton qualifies for Europe, I think Tony would sort that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

As long as they stick to the existing loyalty scheme!!

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
When Fulham got into the Europa League I made an effort to do some of the away games because it was probably a genuine 'once in a lifetime' experience. Actually it was a once in 3, maybe 4 lifetimes as my dad, grandfather and great grandfather's never got to see us in a proper European competition. We had a thin squad and Bobby Z was injured for the final but we did ok in the League.

So absolutely make the most of it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not going to get ahead of myself with the FA cup, and aware the winner gets a europa league spot, but "If" we made it to the final, having finished outside the top 6 in the PL and then lose FA cup final again what are the permetations?

Obvs if we were in final with another team (Burnley, Sheffield Utd or Blackburn) that hadnt qualified for europe, they would get europa and we'd get zip.
But if we lost to Man U or Man city say, and they'd already qualified for CL, does that Europa spot go to losing finalist or to next place in league (7th)? contrasting info on different sources.

If say, we lost to Fulham in final and they were already in Europa through league finish of 5th/6th, then what? losing finalist or next place in league?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Not going to get ahead of myself with the FA cup, and aware the winner gets a europa league spot, but "If" we made it to the final, having finished outside the top 6 in the PL and then lose FA cup final again what are the permetations?

Obvs if we were in final with another team (Burnley, Sheffield Utd or Blackburn) that hadnt qualified for europe, they would get europa and we'd get zip.
But if we lost to Man U or Man city say, and they'd already qualified for CL, does that Europa spot go to losing finalist or to next place in league (7th)? contrasting info on different sources.

If say, we lost to Fulham in final and they were already in Europa through league finish of 5th/6th, then what? losing finalist or next place in league?
We'd get bugger all and the next best in the league would step up

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Perfectly put…..

It would be unbelievable.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It might have repercusions on our league form, but I would LOVE to see us play in Europe. Just once. Even if it was against Locomotiv Pigfarm.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here