Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] EURO 2024 - Official Thread

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
All this positivity will drift away when we start the tournament with a central midfiled of Henderson and Phillips, with Maguire in defence.

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
England could make the final. However the best chance we had to win a tournament was the last Euros and we bottled it despite being 1-0 up and playing at home.

If Bellingham is in form perhaps he could make the difference, but I don't think the waistcoated wonder has the tactical acumen to get us over the line.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So question then.

Are we odds on to win the tournament?

No. Why? Well I guess because there are a number of other teams who are equally good as us.

There is one, France, who are manifestly better than us. There are at least 10 teams who would be competitive with us and could easily down us in a knockout game and probably another 10 who, yes we should beat, but hey in knockout football, shit happens. someone is sent off, someone scores a worldy etc etc.

We're a long way off being nailed on to win this tournament. And actually whether we're more or less likely to win than in previous tournaments isn't relevant.
We are not odds on to win it because that isn't the way odds work. If you ran the tournament 50 times, we wouldn't win it more often than not, would we? We are joint favourites for it though.

I wasn't saying we are by far the best team, I said anything less than a win is a failure, which it is, based on our record in the last few tournaments with this England setup. I really don't think France are manifestly better than us either. They have one stand out, world class player (as do we) and a lot of excellent players (as do we). Plenty of England players would get in that France team, and vice versa.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This playoffs draw is beautifully convoluted.

Steffen Freund with the balls. We're not at the level of a Klinsmann or Matthaus just yet

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1700738581032.png

12 teams for the final 3 spots. Wales to face Finland and then Poland or Estonia, should they beat the Finns.

Meanwhile on Path C, what a chance for some real minnows, a Kazakhstan or Luxembourg in Euro 2024 would be pretty great.​

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I actually got three tickets in the lottery for a last 16 game in Berlin on Saturday 29th June. Tried for multiple games but only got lucky for that one. I have never been to a finals match before so am proper excited whoever is playing.
Congratulations on that, likewise I applied for multiple matches but was unsuccessful, the last couple of tournaments in Europe I’ve usually ended up with one match.

I’m a Scotland fan so obviously I’m looking forward to it, at least until the first ball is kicked anyway!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
View attachment 170171

12 teams for the final 3 spots. Wales to face Finland and then Poland or Estonia, should they beat the Finns.

Meanwhile on Path C, what a chance for some real minnows, a Kazakhstan or Luxembourg in Euro 2024 would be pretty great.​
I just love new teams at tournaments so hoping for Estonia, Israel and any of the path c lot apart from Greece (although we may be forgetting that they're currently managed by a certain Mr Poyet)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I just love new teams at tournaments so hoping for Estonia, Israel and any of the path c lot apart from Greece (although we may be forgetting that they're currently managed by a certain Mr Poyet)
Oh BLIMEY. In that case I'm happy with all 4 outcomes.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Who knows how long Gus will stay with Greece. He's been making eyes at the Irish job - we all know that feeling from his time with us...

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Who knows how long Gus will stay with Greece. He's been making eyes at the Irish job - we all know that feeling from his time with us...
surely he wouldn't turn down the chance to milk the limelight in a major competition though?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We are not odds on to win it because that isn't the way odds work. If you ran the tournament 50 times, we wouldn't win it more often than not, would we? We are joint favourites for it though.

I wasn't saying we are by far the best team, I said anything less than a win is a failure, which it is, based on our record in the last few tournaments with this England setup. I really don't think France are manifestly better than us either. They have one stand out, world class player (as do we) and a lot of excellent players (as do we). Plenty of England players would get in that France team, and vice versa.
Well yes.

So that being the case, how can you regard us not winning it as a failure? We probably won't win it

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well yes.

So that being the case, how can you regard us not winning it as a failure? We probably won't win it
Because we have done everything but win it in the last 3 tournaments. A quarter final losing to the best team, a semi final and a final. How can anything other than a win be seen as success? I absolutely guarantee that Southgate would agree with me.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This draw could be tournament-defining.

We're DEFIANTLY loose.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
How are Luxembourg in the play offs? Surely they didn't finish third in their group?

they finished third in their group

Luxembourg may have finished 3rd in their group, but qualification for the playoffs was based on Nations League positioning not where you finished in the Euro groups. In Luxembourg's group Iceland and Bosnia & Herzegovina who finished 4th and 5th have also qualified for the play offs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here