[Other Sport] Eric Ten Hag

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I believe Ol' Red Nose arrived at Carrington to sort out the Ronaldo 'situatiion'.

If I were Haag I'd do what every other manager should have done and tell the interfering old codger to:-

"f**k off and never come back"

Pointing out it was his adled ramblings that got them into this mess in the first place.

"Shut the door on the way out".

Amazing that Man Utd repeated the exact mistake with Ferguson that they made with Busby. Liverpool's treatment of Shankly post retirement was harsh and ruthless, but was the professional thing to do for Paisley. Ferguson showed the door to enough playing legends to know that the greater good of the club should always trump the individual's ego. He's forgotten that post retirement. He should have been no more than an occasional spectator. Landlords should never go back and drink in their old pubs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Amazing that Man Utd repeated the exact mistake with Ferguson that they made with Busby. Liverpool's treatment of Shankly post retirement was harsh and ruthless, but was the professional thing to do for Paisley. Ferguson showed the door to enough playing legends to know that the greater good of the club should always trump the individual's ego. He's forgotten that post retirement. He should have been no more than an occasional spectator. Landlords should never go back and drink in their old pubs.

He's certainly keeping his managerial legacy going strong by making sure nobody that follows has a cat in hell's chance of success.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Reign got off to the perfect start with a 4-0 walloping of Liverpool in Bangkok.

That could be the shortest triumphal perfect start of all time. He's hung his hat so firmly on de Jong - who now appears reluctant to join the shambles that is ManU. If he now fails to get de Jong, he's as good as finished.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My favourite fact about Man U is that only two managers have won them the titles.

They are a shambles of a huge club that have returned to normal after the Fergie anomaly. Ten Haag may change this but I doubt it.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
He is a decent manager, will he have enough time to turn it round in 3/5 years? No.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That could be the shortest triumphal perfect start of all time. He's hung his hat so firmly on de Jong - who now appears reluctant to join the shambles that is ManU. If he now fails to get de Jong, he's as good as finished.

why

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My favourite fact about Man U is that only two managers have won them the titles.

They are a shambles of a huge club that have returned to normal after the Fergie anomaly. Ten Haag may change this but I doubt it.

Ernest Mangnall is turning in his grave :)

Anyway, good stat though somewhat mitigated by the fact that the 2 managers you refer to were in charge for 2/3 of the seasons post-WWII according to my wiki research (51 out of 77).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Eh? I know managers stayed at clubs much longer in the past than they do now, but I doubt Matt Busby was manager in the early 1900s when Man U won two titles.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Ernest Mangnall is turning in his grave :)

Anyway, good stat though somewhat mitigated by the fact that the 2 managers you refer to were in charge for 2/3 of the seasons post-WWII according to my wiki research (51 out of 77).

Yeah sorry, three managers :lolol:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Frank O'Farrell was a hugely talented manager and if Busby was quietly pushed off into retirement then O'Farrell had the potential to be the most successful manager that Man U ever had, before or since.

Now - if Ten Hag is a strong enough character then he can overcome Fergie hanging around in the background - time will tell if he is capable of doing that.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Looks like they've ended their pursuit of Adrien Rabiot after his mom asked for too much money.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ten Hag came in with a big noise about getting de Jong and building a team around him - in fact he pretty much hung his hat on that. Since then, it's looked like his only plan is to get the old band (i.e. players he knows) back together.
My take on it is, that if he can't pull de Jong, he's toast.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looks like they've ended their pursuit of Adrien Rabiot after his mom asked for too much money.

There’s a good piss take thread on redcafe, laughing at the incompetence of the two Manure execs who flew by LearJet last week to Turin to tie up the deal. The two seemed to love the paparazzi limelight and exec lifestyle.

Then …. nothing ultimately came of it.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
After 2 games he seems completely out of his depth. He was baffled by our “long ball” tactics, and then had no idea how to control Brentford. Did he bother doing any research? Or maybe he did, but his players were simply SO crap. Anyway, it’s a fascinating watch 😊

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports