Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric Bristow having a mare...

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I'm with Eric. Can't see what the problem is. He's entitled to his opinion & oh well some lefties who get easily offended (a la alleged homophobic chanting by fulham) will be offended again.

Storm in a teacup / trial by social media again = that's what's wrong with society

Yeah, it may be what is wrong with society but 'death by tweet' is a part of life now. Social media becomes public lynch mob. He is too old school and too simplistic in his judgements. We all get what he is trying to say, and after a few pints, many of us would nod our heads and say 'I know what you mean mate', but to do it on Twitter is media suicide. Daft thing to say to a public audience, daft but not malicious intent. Poor bloke will have the PC hounds after him. I hope Trump nuts someone to take the dairy off old Eric.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It's not an absolute truth whether the posts are correct or not, but what is certain is that a number of people will be hurt or offended.

Some things should be thought, maybe mentioned in the pub, but not broadcast on the internet.

He's probably best off apologising and claiming he was pie-eyed drunk when he posted.

I'm pretty sure it's not illegal (yet) to offend people.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"Eric, you require...counselling."

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
He said something stupid whilst pissed up the way some of you lot are going on you'd think he was the perpetrator of the bloody crimes.

EDIT
********have now seen the comments about footballers not being real men etc , the blokes an idiot for saying that don't agree at all , very stupid thing to say********

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
He said something stupid whilst pissed up the way some of you lot are going on you'd think he was the perpetrator of the bloody crimes.

By victim shaming in the way he has, he is perpetuating the effect of people not feeling as though they can tell others what happened to them.

What he has said is obviously not anywhere near as bad as what the abusers have done, but he and those defending his comments are part of the problem IMO.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
By victim shaming in the way he has, he is perpetuating the effect of people not feeling as though they can tell others what happened to them.

What he has said is obviously not anywhere near as bad as what the abusers have done, but he and those defending his comments are part of the problem IMO.

Why did you not quote my edit ?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Been unsurprisingly dropped by Sky.

Former darts world champion Eric Bristow has lost his role with Sky Sports after suggesting that football abuse victims are not "proper men".

Bristow asked on Twitter why victims did not "sort out" their abusers "when they got older and fitter".

More than 20 ex-footballers have made allegations of child sex abuse.

"He was a contributor to our darts coverage in the past but we will not be using him in the future," said a Sky spokesman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/38141331

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Should have taken the "Twitter account hacked" way out successfully used by others before him.

Ah, the old Ian Botham's Knob defence :thumbsup:

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Should have taken the "Twitter account hacked" way out successfully used by others before him.

If your phone being unlocked, twitter app opened, 133 character tweet written and sent, all whilst in your pocket constitutes a successful get out then yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
How John Lowe would've sorted out that Syrian refugee crisis ?

Having met both, no. John Lowe is a very nice man. Eric Bristow is not. Presumably I should have kicked the snot out of him when he was being an arse?

The number of people on here who really, truly believe that there is nothing that can't be sorted with a 'good slap' saddens me beyond belief. Besides which, physically attacking someone when they are abusing you is self defence. Waiting a few years and then physically attacking someone is a premeditated criminal offence. Just because someone really deserves a good kicking as in this case doesn't mean you can just do it and get away scot free.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Having met both, no. John Lowe is a very nice man. Eric Bristow is not. Presumably I should have kicked the snot out of him when he was being an arse?

The number of people on here who really, truly believe that there is nothing that can't be sorted with a 'good slap' saddens me beyond belief. Besides which, physically attacking someone when they are abusing you is self defence. Waiting a few years and then physically attacking someone is a premeditated criminal offence. Just because someone really deserves a good kicking as in this case doesn't mean you can just do it and get away scot free.

Well, obviously. And I haven't seen anyone on here claiming that there's nothing that can't be sorted out with a slap.

I don't really get your point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here