Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Equal prize money at Wimbledon.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It strikes me that the 'equal pay if they play five sets' argument is dodgy. No other sport links length of match to prize money (does it?).

What other sport has different run times? I mean, football is always minimum 90 minutes. No major football tournament plays shorter matches does it? I'd be surprised if the five aside tournaments pay as much as the premier league/FA cup/champions league/world cup.

What about cricket, how does the prize money for series matches compare to the twenty twenty?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've always found it odd and ironic that a sport/profession that has such an enshrined difference in the amount of work required for the men and women, should choose to be one of the first to make such a fuss over equal money.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Having played tennis seriously for years, it isn't fair whatsoever.

1) I think it is fair to say that mens tennis attracts ALOT more interest than womens. The amount of times I've known friends get wimbledon tickets for the womens finals day or womens semi finals day and have no interest to go yet struggle to find any takers to buy off them. Compare this with the mens semi finals or finals in which people I know would give anything to get hold of tickets.
It's also evident sitting on centre court that the crowd generally filters out for the womens matches. Lets say there is a mens match, followed by a womans followed by a mens, many see the womens match as a chance to walk around the outside courts and get some lunch, explore the place etc

2) It is SO much tougher for men to make it to the top level in tennis than women in terms of competition. There are probably over 100 times more full time male tennis players at 16 than there are women.

3) The standard of men is so much higher than women. Most of the top 20 women in the world train with male juniors and are generally the weaker. When I went to Spain, Kuznetsova who was number two in the world at the time trained everyday with different juniors/low ranked men (around 1000) and she lost to them everyday..

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Don't forget that in any sport it's not just the time on the court that you're being paid for! It's also the fact that you have spent most of your life training hard and work in between tournaments keeping fit and improving tennis.

That is exactly the point, both train just as hard and give up just as much to get there. It's not like womens tennis training is 3 days a week, they all train 7 days, 50 weeks a year. So, in my book, equal pay is fair. I never used to think this due to the 3 set/5 set issue, but I changed when I thought about it a bit more.

Having said that, it is silly that they are paid the same. Especially because the women's game is so bad at the moment without any bankable 'stars' other than the Williams sisters - the idea of some of those players and the world class quality (or lac of it) they bring to the tournament being paid the same amount as the mens game is prety distressing!

That's just not logical though, is it. So, if Woger wins wiimbles one year in 3 sets in each round he should get less prize money than when he wins in 5 sets ? As for the Williams' it's not their fault that their opposition is not up to it.

The Goon

Gully's Boy
Nov 24, 2008
Blowing up the Balloons!!!
So, should the men only get the full prize money if their matches go to 5 sets - what would you have paid Isner & Mahut, overtime double-bubble ?

obviously it is all theoretical and the womens winner could play 3 sets every game the same as the mens winner could. But in my opinion thats what it should be.

If i did 5 hours work and a female work colleague did 3. doing the same thing. i would expect her to get 3/5 of what i get! :rant:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
obviously it is all theoretical and the womens winner could play 3 sets every game the same as the mens winner could. But in my opinion thats what it should be.

If i did 5 hours work and a female work colleague did 3. doing the same thing. i would expect her to get 3/5 of what i get! :rant:

But you''re equating their time on court as being the total commitment. Their "job" is all the training etc. outside the court as well as the time on it, and all players have equal commitment in that respect.If it was just time on court, then paying them £1m prize money would be utterly ridiculous.

The Goon

Gully's Boy
Nov 24, 2008
Blowing up the Balloons!!!
But you''re equating their time on court as being the total commitment. Their "job" is all the training etc. outside the court as well as the time on it, and all players have equal commitment in that respect.If it was just time on court, then paying them £1m prize money would be utterly ridiculous.

so should women footballers get 100,000 a week? :glare:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. Compare this with the mens semi finals or finals in which people I know would give anything to get hold of tickets.

I know someone,who posts on here, who was offered centre-court tickets for today, and turned them down because "tennis is boring".

Fact.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
so should women footballers get 100,000 a week? :glare:

Hmm, good question - if they were as professional as the mens game and pulled in the same sort of crowds, then yes (although I would suggest that the men aren't worth that either). The truth is that womens tennis is as highly supported as the mens game, not just at the slams.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Both the winners of the Mens and Womens competitions will have achieved the same, winning a Grand Slam. On this basis I don't see anything wrong with them being awarded equal prize money.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The women are [mostly] nicer to look at. As long as they continue to spend some of that prize money, on looking nice, I think equality is a good thing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
ahhh, but if they were paid less, they would have to get their boobies out in NUTS for the extra cash!

But I don't want them to. There are plenty of fit Big Brother rejects and cute students to fill that role.

I want the tennis girls to continue to look pretty, and wear short skirts that flash their pants, on afternoon TV. And get a bit sweaty. Its not much to ask.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here