Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England where is the crowd

Fortunately he didn't have his bell.

Generally behaving like a ****. Mouthing off, half pissed, slurring out 'come on England' plus other Pompey stuff. He appeared to be on his own - No friends?
Cut him some slack. It must be a while since he had a chance to watch some well-known footballers.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Back to the original point - I wonder how many other countries attract a crowd of 61,000 for a match against the mighty Moldova?
Indeed. I've said before on here that in 1984 I saw England play East Germany at Wembley. I was working in North London that day and decided on the spur of the moment to attend. No ticket required, just POTG. There were under 24,000 there and that wasn't considered to be a bad turnout.

Also as a minor aside when England played Uruguay in the opening match of the 1966 World Cup the crowd was about 8,000 UNDER capacity! Modern football crowds in England are unbelievably large when compared to other eras and indeed other countries.

I remember watching Portugal v Denmark in a World Cup qualifier in 2008. Tickets were cheap (around €20, if I remember right), and on sale right up until kick-off. 33,000 people went - the capacity of the Estadio Jose Alvalades in Lisbon is 50,000. And every fan was offered a free T-shirt.

Good game. Portugal were leading 1-0 in the 83rd minute. It finished 3-2 to Denmark, with Howard Webb awarding a penalty to each side in the 86th and 88th minutes.

Nov 5, 2012
chichester
So, when they played at Sunderland & got the max 42,000 & only sang 5 songs, all of them 'Super Kevin Phillips' that was more money than 61,000 at Wembley & a better atmosphere?

I think if you've not spunked 800million on a stadium then 42k at the stadium of light makes you a lot more. It would pretty much be clear profit as sponsorship would cover all the expenses. Plus you wouldn't have to pay the mortgage with any of it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The problem is, the players don't have the commitment for the England these days. Most players won't give 100% because they don't want to get injured for there club and they don't get paid.
My opinion.

I'm fairly sure that they do get paid when they're injured as insurance covers it. They would miss out on appearance money and goal bonuses.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As someone who with a large number of friends used to go to many internationals at the old Wembley and did tournments in France and Portugal, I would struggle to care less about England if I massively tried than I do right now. Players are a bunch of twats, the football is dire and qualifying games against minnows and friendlies are pointless. Even if you could see upcoming talent coming through and a coaching strategy to improve things there would be some interest but the whole system is rotten.

Pretty much my situation. I also used to travel for England games, now the whole thing bores me to death.

International football in it's current format is dead. Too many mismatched games that are a walkover for one side. Too many meaningless games that produce shit football. The atmosphere at the new wembley for qualifiers is what the old wembley used to be like for friendlies - full of kids, happy clappers and tourists.

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
ah the anti -English ....hate yourself ....feel bad about our history ....blair led education programme sees fruition and a lack of patriotism and pride ...... people probably think its racist to support England tbh they are so brainwashed

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ah the anti -English ....hate yourself ....feel bad about our history ....blair led education programme sees fruition and a lack of patriotism and pride ...... people probably think its racist to support England tbh they are so brainwashed

It's not racist, more an complete waste of time especially on a Friday night.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think anybody's saying that (on this thread anyway). The ones who say they aren't interested in England are either those to whom the penny finally dropped that we've always been also-rans at international level (even if some still want to blame the managers!), or those who, like Premiership fans, are only interested in their club. Plus there are some who like the big games but realise that matches against the minnows at Wembley always follow a certain pattern (loads of possession against a team who've just parked the bus) and England are on a hiding to nothing.

I have no sympathy with those who say they don't care about England, they can **** right off. I'm English and I want us to win at absolutely everything. However I have an element of sympathy with those who say they're no longer interested in international football. I used to support all the English clubs in Europe, but now there aren't any 'English' clubs I have absolutely no interest in things like the Champions' League.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I came to this thread to ask the same question. I can't be arsed to look but I bet there weren't too many 60k+ crowds across Europe last night.

68k at the Allianz last night :wink:

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I'm fairly sure that they do get paid when they're injured as insurance covers it. They would miss out on appearance money and goal bonuses.

Fair enough. I just would love to see it all come together and we win something for once or at least have a really good go at it.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I used to go to at least every other home game, but since they changed to to Friday/Tuesdays I hardly ever go, it was much better when it was Saturday 5pm kick offs, didn't have to take a day off work and had plenty of time to get home afterwards. I still don't get why kick offs are at 8, should be 7.30

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton

My love for my own nation should not be determined by my unblinkered devotion to a group of men in white shirts kicking a bag of air around a patch of grass.

There are loads of 'loyal subjects' who don't give a shit about the England football team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here