Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England where is the crowd

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
As someone who with a large number of friends used to go to many internationals at the old Wembley and did tournments in France and Portugal, I would struggle to care less about England if I massively tried than I do right now. Players are a bunch of twats, the football is dire and qualifying games against minnows and friendlies are pointless. Even if you could see upcoming talent coming through and a coaching strategy to improve things there would be some interest but the whole system is rotten. I actually had two hospitality tickets for wembley tonight and opted to check out our newly reopened local pub in Peckham instead (Nunhead really).

It makes you realise what a blown opportunity we had with the "golden generation" of players we had under Ericsson a few years back. I'm not sure well ever have a squad like that again which was squandered by a poor manager and negative one dimensional tactics.

Bloody good job I'm half Spanish!!! And the pub was great.

It was worth watching. I think we got an idea of how Hodgson likes to play. It worked well against Moldova. Whether it will work against serious opposition remains to be seen.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
First England International I've attended for years. Yes, atmosphere was...well, yes, a bit flat. Resembled an under 21 International at times. The football was also a bit 'meh'. Yes, England won, but were far from convincing. Didn't go near the catering outlets as I'd forgotten to apply for the bank loan prior.

Despite all that, I enjoyed the experience, it being my first trip to the new Wembley. It looks so impressive in the flesh. Of course, if Gus had managed the team properly that night in May, it would have been my second, but thats history. There was one common denominator between that match in May and tonight though - Cardboard effing clackers!! :annoyed:

Best crowd comedy moment occurred late in the second half. We had the dubious pleasure of John Westwood in our block. Dressed in a red cowboy hat, he was looked hilarious. (not). After remaining muted for most of the match, he launched into his usual embarrassing routine. It WAS embarrassing! What the smelly skate probably wasn't aware of - There was a large contingent of Saints fans close to him who were well oiled up. :ohmy:

Some nice pleasantries were exchanged, with Westwood appearing very sheepish before the stewards had a stroll towards the two parties. :D

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Best crowd comedy moment occurred late in the second half. We had the dubious pleasure of John Westwood in our block. Dressed in a red cowboy hat, he was looked hilarious. (not). After remaining muted for most of the match, he launched into his usual embarrassing routine. It WAS embarrassing! What the smelly skate probably wasn't aware of - There was a large contingent of Saints fans close to him who were well oiled up. :ohmy:

Some nice pleasantries were exchanged, with Westwood appearing very sheepish before the stewards had a stroll towards the two parties. :D

He's very well hidden in this photo, can you spot him?

John+Westwood+Southampton+v+Portsmouth+npower+QPYW4luPBeMl.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
. After remaining muted for most of the match, he launched into his usual embarrassing routine. It WAS embarrassing!

For those of us who don't know, what is his usual routine? He didn't get his bell out did he?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Back to the original point - I wonder how many other countries attract a crowd of 61,000 for a match against the mighty Moldova?

Is that tickets sold, or people through the turnstiles?

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
The problem is, the players don't have the commitment for the England these days. Most players won't give 100% because they don't want to get injured for there club and they don't get paid.
My opinion.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I have been twice to Wembley to watch England in competitive games and it was a poor atmosphere, over priced, blah blah blah. It was just a bit underwhelming. As Henry winters (I think) said, why build a national stadium to have 60k when you could get more money and atmosphere if it was played 'on the road' like it was before Wembley opened again.

So, when they played at Sunderland & got the max 42,000 & only sang 5 songs, all of them 'Super Kevin Phillips' that was more money than 61,000 at Wembley & a better atmosphere?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The problem is, the players don't have the commitment for the England these days. Most players won't give 100% because they don't want to get injured for there club and they don't get paid.
My opinion.

My opinion is that your judgement is poor AND so is your grammar

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Back to the original point - I wonder how many other countries attract a crowd of 61,000 for a match against the mighty Moldova?

I came to this thread to ask the same question. I can't be arsed to look but I bet there weren't too many 60k+ crowds across Europe last night.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic

Yep great turnout considering , only beaten by Germany who were playing their neighbours ! I know it is only Moldova but thought we had many attacking options and looked great coming forward , we will see how it works out on Tuesday but I reckon a 2-1 win :thumbsup:

I would pick Walker any day over Johnson , he was fantastic coming forward and gave a good ball in unlike Johnson who stumbles with the last ball , could not see his defensive qualities though as it was only Moldova .

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here