Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England V Iran

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Let’s hope we get the 1982 vs France start? Early lead settle the nerves and then be able to concentrate on the football.

The back drop re the Qatari regime is like harking back to Berlin in 1936 🙈

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Shades of 1998, when I twagged school to watch England beat Tunisia 2-0 in Marseille. Will I be twagging work for a couple of hours today? I am yet to decide.

I don’t think today will be as straightforward for England as it looks on paper, nor the group more broadly.

When the draw was made I thought our group looked favourable, however on closer inspection we have comfortably the toughest group of any of the pot 1 sides, in terms of the current average ranking of the opposition (18.3). This is despite Netherlands being a pot 2 side in Group A (23.3) along with Germany Germany in Group E (22.0).

We should of course be favourites to win any given game in this group, but we shouldn’t be fooled by the historically unfashionable names we’ll come up against. This will be attritional.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wot, no matchday thread? Feels a bit strange - but there again it's only a corrupt WC not the Albion (although we do seem to have matchday threads for correut financial statements and the like!)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I really hope Maguire starts and has a good game.

There seems to be this weird self-harm mentality where some people want one of our own players to perform badly.
I don't think you've read the room properly there. It's more that people don't give much of a toss, in stark contrast to every single other WC in history.

I don't anyway.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't think you've read the room properly there. It's more that people don't give much of a toss, in stark contrast to every single other WC in history.

I don't anyway.
I suspect you're right, and I suspect the room will change if we get to the Quarter Finals.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I don't anyway.
What room? I'm talking about various places in general, not NSC

But thanks for telling me you don't care.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

I don't anyway.
But the good thing is you’ve come to the game thread to confirm to us that you aren’t interested.

It’s England, in a major tournament, I just don’t believe the people who say they don’t care truly don’t care. It’s not the same I admit, but I still care.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
7266D7CC-7581-4D51-A0ED-B2892A9D60BB.jpeg
49A15363-A4B8-4D18-B9CD-C8E37318BD56.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here