Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England Squad

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Dan Burn is unlucky there, with the lack of left back cover in the squad. Could see a back 3 for at least one of the games, or part of one of them.

Personally, I think it's Fikayo Tomori who has been mugged off. Jacob Ramsey is unfortunate but Emile Smith-Rowe is very lucky to be in the squad given his lack of appearances and performances for Arsenal lately.

Dan Burn is almost 30 and in a bit of a purple patch as far as his career is concerned. There’s no way that Southgate is going to start picking him for friendlies in preparation for a World Cup in 8 months time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why wasn't Salah included? And Forminho (or whatever he's called)?

Southgate is clueless. Fact.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
6 centre halves, one left back?

Maguire and Stones are nailed on for the world cup if fit, Coady and Mings inexplicably too, so I'd guess that White And Guehi are there to compete for fifth centre back or first reserve. Similarly Gallagher and Ward-Prowse for one midfield spot. I think we can confidently say that Rice, Phillips, Henderson, Mount and Bellingham will all be in the world cup squad if fit.

Jared Bowen must be disappointed to not have been given a look.

Edit: Oh. Just seen Bowen is injured.
Phillips not in squad either - also injured, I think.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Guehi, 21 and captain, probably has the best stats by any English CB

Per games stats of English CBs this season.

Guehi rates:
17th on overall rating;
31st on tackles per game;
29th on interceptions;
4th on least fouls;
13th on least yellows;
21st on clearances;
30th on shots blocked;
27th on passes blocked;
5th on total passes;
12th on accurate long balls;
27th on fewest inaccurate long balls;
4th on accurate short passes;
18th on fewest inaccurate short passes;
13th on goals scored;
26th on headers won;
21st on least headers lost.

It was a little bit of work on https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2021-2022, but it was such a monumentally stupid thing to claim that quite how wrong it was had to be pointed out.

He's played for all of England's age range sides, but is eligible to play for the Ivory Coast. The former makes him a Southgate pick and the latter tells you why it has happened before he has earned it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Guehi rates:
17th on overall rating;
29th on interceptions;
4th on least fouls;
13th on least yellows;
21st on clearances;
30th on shots blocked;
27th on passes blocked;
5th on total passes;
13th on goals scored;
26th on headers won;

It was a little bit of work on https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2021-2022, but it was such a monumentally stupid thing to claim that quite how wrong it was had to be pointed out.

He's played for all of England's age range sides, but is eligible to play for the Ivory Coast. The former makes him a Southgate pick and the latter tells you why it has happened before he has earned it.

:clap2:

Fine work. I appreciate this type of analysis. Gooey isn't bad by any means, but he is indicative of the sad fact that England caps are dished out like comedy club flyers on the seafront these days. Keep a clean sheet against a profligate and comically misfiring City ? YOU'RE IN !

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
:clap2:

Fine work. I appreciate this type of analysis. Gooey isn't bad by any means, but he is indicative of the sad fact that England caps are dished out like comedy club flyers on the seafront these days. Keep a clean sheet against a profligate and comically misfiring City ? YOU'RE IN !

I should have mentioned that this is only English CBs playing in the EPL, so doesn't include Canada born and formerly Nigeria eligible Fikyo Tomori, who was picked once in November 2019 at the same age as Guehi is now. He was played for six minutes at RB in a qualifier that had already been won. He has since been left out of all but one of Southgate's squads and has played for a total of 30 of the 2,460 minutes that England have played since his debut.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I should have mentioned that this is only English CBs playing in the EPL, so doesn't include Canada born and formerly Nigeria eligible Fikyo Tomori, who was picked once in November 2019 at the same age as Guehi is now. He was played for six minutes at RB in a qualifier that had already been won. He has since been left out of all but one of Southgate's squads and has played for a total of 30 of the 2,460 minutes that England have played since his debut.

I really liked Tomori, and felt we should've put a bid in for him after his loan spell. Despite that calamitous OG on his debut at Lincoln in the cup :facepalm:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think White will go on to captain both Arsenal and England. He is potentially that good. Nearest thing I have seen to Bobby Moore since he stopped playing.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Guehi rates:
17th on overall rating;
29th on interceptions;
4th on least fouls;
13th on least yellows;
21st on clearances;
30th on shots blocked;
27th on passes blocked;
5th on total passes;
13th on goals scored;
26th on headers won;

Masterful response to the Palace poster’s nonsense. You’ve made them look a right turnip!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Guehi rates:
17th on overall rating;
29th on interceptions;
4th on least fouls;
13th on least yellows;
21st on clearances;
30th on shots blocked;
27th on passes blocked;
5th on total passes;
13th on goals scored;
26th on headers won;

Indeed. It plays a part in it.... their midfielder Michael Olise was called up for France U21 this time around, taking a huge step in that direction. Any nation with a national team wants to avoid situations like that... but t is often dishonest towards the player. The national team coaches rarely state why they call up young players but in a lot of cases, when they are not good enough, its just to secure them for the future.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Dan Burn is almost 30 and in a bit of a purple patch as far as his career is concerned. There’s no way that Southgate is going to start picking him for friendlies in preparation for a World Cup in 8 months time.

This is why ‘Club England’ is a good but flawed concept. GS is an international manager trying to operate a club manager philosophy. If most of your established spine is having a shit time, can they expect to beat other international sides picking their best, in-form, sides?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I think White will go on to captain both Arsenal and England. He is potentially that good. Nearest thing I have seen to Bobby Moore since he stopped playing.

Think that might be a minority view on here but also think you're right. I also think that whilst I understand us selling him, losing him weakened us and remains a major reason why we haven't played as well as last season in many ways despite some good results early on in particular.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Can't argue with either Gallagher or Guehi being in there, both fully deserve it. It's also a shame that it looks like Olise is going to play for France as he is an outstanding young player.

It is absolutely ludicrous that Tomori is not in the squad though. He is the BEST English centre back. Coady and Mings - ridiculous again!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Guehi rates:
17th on overall rating;
29th on interceptions;
4th on least fouls;
13th on least yellows;
21st on clearances;
30th on shots blocked;
27th on passes blocked;
5th on total passes;
13th on goals scored;
26th on headers won;

I'm sure your last point is part of it and like you I love stats but even data analysts will tell you that centre back is the hardest position to judge a player by stats alone, you have to go along with the eye test as well. Every time I've seen Guehi play he's impressed me and I thought he was an England player in the making - I would definitely have him in the squad ahead of Coady and Mings and he's in better form than Maguire currently.

The other player who is in the U21 squad but I feel is unlucky not to make the first team squad is Anthony Gordon of Everton - what a player he is! Won't be long till he's a regular for sure.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This is why ‘Club England’ is a good but flawed concept. GS is an international manager trying to operate a club manager philosophy. If most of your established spine is having a shit time, can they expect to beat other international sides picking their best, in-form, sides?

How can Southgate predict who will be in form next November though? Besides, England are beating most sides that they play these days. There really does seem to be a good spirit with no club cliques in the current England squad, which had been lacking since Venables was manager, and you can't really criticise his record of a semi-final and losing finalists over 2 tournaments.

If that record is as a result of a flawed concept, I'm all for it. Certainly beats failing to qualify or not getting beyond the first KO round, which we hadn't done for the previous 4 tournaments before Southgate took over.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can't argue with either Gallagher or Guehi being in there, both fully deserve it. It's also a shame that it looks like Olise is going to play for France as he is an outstanding young player.

It is absolutely ludicrous that Tomori is not in the squad though. He is the BEST English centre back. Coady and Mings - ridiculous again!

I bloody loved Tomori when he was with us for that vital 4 month loan period. We could've been in a real pickle with Goldson's heart condition being identified (literally hours after the Jan window had shut) and then Duffy breaking his metatarsal a few weeks later. I re-watched the extended highlights of the 2-1 win at QPR the other day on the club's YouTube channel, the Poco free-kick one where Dunk had to be subbed off at half time with the shits, and he was outstanding at centre back for a 19 year old.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Mings is awful and gets in again.
Maguire is awful and still gets in.
Shaw & Stones barely get in their respective teams but still get in.
Ward Prowse is good at free kicks but a very average player elsewhere.

Some other great talent missing out.

I read recently about how Southgate tries to create a club mentality within the England set up and that gives reason to why he picks the same players over and over again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here