Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England squad announced for the Euros

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What has Barkley done this season?

Plus what would he bring differently to the rest of the AM?

Townsend can change a game and is something different

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course, technically, that is what HALF of the teams in every tournament do. Obviously.

This England team IS a little different, to previous ones, I feel. They'll go for it, and at least give themselves a CHANCE against a good side, rather than playing within themselves, and going out 1-0.

We'll see. My point is, plenty of other teams do manage to knock out one of the "big boys" along the way, even if they ultimately fail themselves, which of course all but one will. Since beating Spain on pens in 1996, when we've actually got out of the group, we have then been knocked out by:

1998 - Argentina
2002 - Brazil
2004 - Portugal
2006 - Portugal
2010 - Germany
2012 - Italy

So The only team we have actually BEATEN "recently" in a knockout game is Denmark, back in 2002. You could go back to 1990, when we got past Belgium and Cameroon, or 1986 when we got past Paraguay. But we are shockingly poor once the pressure of a knockout game is on. Other than fluking past Spain in 96, we've not sent anyone of any note home in leaving memory.

God, I've just depressed myself.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Draw with Russia and a draw with Wales to leave us needing to beat Slovakia to go through the group in second, you heard it here first.

I think the top 3 qualify from each group, minus 2 "worst" 3rd placed teams, so 3rd should in all probability be enough.

Its actually very hard NOT to get out of the groups this year. 16 from 24 go through to the knockouts.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think Drinkwater is a good player but at times he looks like a pub Sunday footballer chasing after a fast player. Am I being too harsh there?

Barkley has bags of potential and is one for the future so don't get people wanting him ommited. It's a tough call for any of the 3 to miss out but let's get behind Roy & the lads he's gone with eh?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Townsend over Barkley for me too, possibly would have omitted Rashford as well on the basis of it's a bit soon and one goal against Australia a good striker does not make (eh Jeffers?).

Also, Lallana is poo.

Lallana has played well for Liverpool since Klopp took over. He is good given a free role but, Roy will never give him that and so shouldn't have picked him.
I am not sure if Wilshere is match fit either. We have seen the problems caused picking unfit players before.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That's the thing. The current squad in the main are young kids who don't know their place or their supposed limitations. Unlike the pure ponce Golden Generation or whatever they were called who swanned around like they owned the place. Reckon this will be a triumph of youth over experience. They may not win the tournament but they'll die trying and give the fans some proper thrills and spills along the way.

I think you could say there was an element of this at the last World Cup. The youthfulness gave me hope anyway and we were very unlucky to lose the 2 games we did.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Brighton fan with Scousophobia? No, Shirley not!

No, no scousophobia here.

It's more a comment on the fact that players who play for certain clubs are FAR more likely to be picked for England, no matter what their form, or limitations may be.

So, no end of Liverpool players, Wilshire from Arsenal etc.

Whereas Townsend, Drinkwater etc. never stood a chance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, no scousophobia here.

It's more a comment on the fact that players who play for certain clubs are FAR more likely to be picked for England, no matter what their form, or limitations may be.

So, no end of Liverpool players, Wilshire from Arsenal etc.

Whereas Townsend, Drinkwater etc. never stood a chance.

Whilst there absolutely IS an element of this about every England squad selection, ever (would wonderkid Rashford be in there if he'd scored 5 goals in 12 games for West Brom?), I think your examples are wrong. Wilshere is head and shoulders (and knees and toes) ahead of Drinkwater, in every single facet of play. You have to take the risk. Wilshere / Dier / Alli is potentially England's best midfield in 20 years.

Townsend runs fast. :shrug: Massively limited. If he went, he wouldn't get a game. All of England's width will come from the four inter-changeable attacking full backs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One of the worst England squads for many a year.

Only taking three centre backs is a mistake as is the omission of Townsend who can get you a goal or make a goal.

Lallana has done nothing for England in his 22 caps, Sturridge is a crock, an excuse waiting to happen. And I haven't even mentioned Milner.

We've just got to hope and pray Rooney gets his sh1t together and Kane stays fit.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Everyone loves a comedian. Or are you serious?

Rooney has been pretty much useless in an England shirt for any serious game since South Africa - he shouldn't be even allowed to wear the shirt anymore.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Milner had a very good season. Perfect utility player, great at crossing, he's better under Klopp. Drinkwater should have got the nod over Wilshire. I've no real other qualms, Townsend is hit and hope and Henderson is a better player than some people on here make out.
For me it's the best squad I've seen since 1996. For the first time in 20 years I'm excited by England, theres a great balance of youth and experience. If we can shield our defence enough (hence Drinkwater if Dier gets injured), we've the firepower to be watchable.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Whilst there absolutely IS an element of this about every England squad selection, ever (would wonderkid Rashford be in there if he'd scored 5 goals in 12 games for West Brom?), I think your examples are wrong. Wilshere is head and shoulders (and knees and toes) ahead of Drinkwater, in every single facet of play. You have to take the risk. Wilshere / Dier / Alli is potentially England's best midfield in 20 years.

Townsend runs fast. :shrug: Massively limited. If he went, he wouldn't get a game. All of England's width will come from the four inter-changeable attacking full backs.

A lot of truth in what you say. I think Wilshere has been brilliant when he plays for England, but he has barely played for Arsenal this season. If he didn't play for one of the big clubs, he wouldn't be going, but I'm glad he is.

My point was more about the Liverpool players, who are lucky to be in the squad in my opinion.

Townsend? Runs fast AND scores 30 yarders. He has been excellent for Newcastle in the last quarter of the season. I think he would add something different, maybe be the 'impact sub' that everyone has always banged on about Lua Lua being for us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yet again, we read the hilarious mocking of a disability. A speech impediment is a minor disability, agreed, but does it deserve to be mocked?

Don't bother answering.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Rooney has been pretty much useless in an England shirt for any serious game since South Africa - he shouldn't be even allowed to where the shirt anymore.

Actually, he has been useless since 2004, when we all thought we had a World beater on our hands.

I wish he wasn't going.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Oh FFS - Rooney :facepalm:
Yes.
Everyone loves a comedian. Or are you serious?
Man U fan?
Rooney has been pretty much useless in an England shirt for any serious game since South Africa - he shouldn't be even allowed to where the shirt anymore.
This.
Actually, he has been useless since 2004, when we all thought we had a World beater on our hands.

I wish he wasn't going.
And this.

Although he's often brilliant in a friendly or against the big boys like San Marino or Luxembourg.

Sent from the boot of Lingard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here