Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Eddie Howe and Newcastle

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This could be some game

Probably the best two English managers in the PL, both set up their teams to play attractive football.

My big worry is that Howe seems to have the Indian sign over the Albion most games and he is coming with probably the best squad of players he’s managed.

Just like yesterday I am already both nervous and excited. Both of us had great starts and will almost certainly be bringing in new players before the window closes, maybe in time to play next week.

I am actually loving the PL now having only been thinking about staying up since we arrived here I am now looking up instead of down in my expectations.

These are both good teams

Bring it on!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They've done good signings and got a stronger squad than Brighton now, and I think they'll break into top 6 already this season. Tough game indeed, but bound to be exciting.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Annoyingly, we face them with a fit Wilson. Incredibly well organised, they’ll be a tougher than Manure but I think we can do them at the Amex.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Annoyingly, we face them with a fit Wilson. Incredibly well organised, they’ll be a tougher than Manure but I think we can do them at the Amex.

And a fit ASM too

I'd be happy with a draw from this given the struggles we have against Howe's teams

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd definitely take a draw if offered. THESE are a good side*

Newcastle have come into dirty money but are recruiting the right way - got the right manager, then Ashworth, and will kick on from there. No Man Utd style serial overspending disaster at St James' Park unfortunately.

*Oh and Sir Chris Hughton should be made guest of honour at this fixture one of these days.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I was never quite sure about Howe at Muff but he's proven himself to be a decent manager at Newcastle. Turned them around totally last season and built on it pre-season with his acquisitions. Can see it being a tough game but I think we've got the players to nick it.

They'll be a comfortable top 10 club this season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I really don’t like Howe but I acknowledge that Potter is the only English manager at his level.

He is not quite a tactically brilliant as our Graham but he has learnt his ‘defensive’ lessons at Bournemouth and his teams now seem so much more defensively sound.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They've done good signings and got a stronger squad than Brighton now, and I think they'll break into top 6 already this season. Tough game indeed, but bound to be exciting.

Disagree. Still believe we have a better squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Really? How many Newcastle players would get into our team? Wilson, Trippier, maybe the inconsistent Saint-Maximan ...... hardly the whole team.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I was thinking about EH this morning and how the barcodes could quite easily have dropped him (they might still do) for a more flair/fashionable/expensive manager, but it's still a risk. Just look at some of the appointments MUFC have made, for example.

Howe might not be very likeable, but he's certainly doing a good job with them. I, too, can see them in the top six this season. Last season they had the third best points tally in the PL from when he took over. Carry that on and they'll be laughing.

As for the game next weekend? Head says LOOSE; heart says DRAWER ???

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Next Saturday will be harder than yesterday. A draw will be a good result. I just don't want to see Newcastle win PLUS it would be nice to have a bit of an unbeaten start.

A win would be incredible...but mustn't let yesterday cloud the reality of the task at hand. Expectations reset at home at the amex and having to take the game to them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Next Saturday will be harder than yesterday. A draw will be a good result. I just don't want to see Newcastle win PLUS it would be nice to have a bit of an unbeaten start.

A win would be incredible...but mustn't let yesterday cloud the reality of the task at hand. Expectations reset at home at the amex and having to take the game to them.

I am pretty certain that we will be taking the game to them but that they will also be taking the game to us. An end to end thriller or nightmare imo

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This will be very tough, they are organised and will be very dangerous on the break.

I am expecting a very tight game.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
To me the two sides look very closely matched. Bet on the draw

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I am pretty certain that we will be taking the game to them but that they will also be taking the game to us. An end to end thriller or nightmare imo

Tbh I don't mind losing a ding-dong, end-to-end thriller.

But I really don't want to dominate a game in their 1/3 and lose 0-1. I would rather take a 0-0 where we just stare at each other for 90 mins and no one flinches. They've become a rival and I'm very (pathetically) bitter about their unjustified wealth, survival, Burn, Ashworth and the irrational fear they pose to us while the transfer window is open. And that one day they will inevitably come for Potter if he is still with us when they look to move Howe on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here