Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Eating less meat & dairy.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Mouldy.

To counter the consensus on here, I now do intermittent fasting (try to eat in a 6 hour window per day and fast for 18 hours), and I’ve become whats classed as ‘fat adapted’.

What this means is that my body is adopted to use fat as a fuel source more than carbs. When you hear the word carbs, replace it with sugars, as that is what carbs are.

The reason fat had such a bad press was not because we can’t eat fat (we can and it’s good for you). However, it’s the type of fats. So, things like ‘vegetable oil’ are bad for you (hint, they don’t come from vegetables are are over processed). These are the bad fats - just use olive oil/butter.

If you want some informative stuff, look up Dr Eric Berg, Dr Sten Ekberg on youtube. It’s an eye-opener.

Humans are not designed to be constantly eating all the time. We function so much better with limited food intake and the body adapts. There’s a process the body goes into called autophagy which is in effect, the recycling of dead cells around the body. The body is constantly regenerating, but autophagy improves that process.

With intermittent fasting the body also gets into ketosis, and this is a better fuel for the brain.

Lastly, animal fats are good for you IMO. And those of you wanting to drink soya - good luck with the for your health (not).

I have also turned to intermittent fastng in the last couple of months. I only eat between midday and 8pm (approximately). I thought I would really struggle not having breakfast in the morning but I manage fine on a cup of tea. I usually run about 6km after the cuppa and sometimes also have a swim before tucking into my midday feast, either porridge or muesli with a banana.

larus

I have also turned to intermittent fastng in the last couple of months. I only eat between midday and 8pm (approximately). I thought I would really struggle not having breakfast in the morning but I manage fine on a cup of tea. I usually run about 6km after the cuppa and sometimes also have a swim before tucking into my midday feast, either porridge or muesli with a banana.

Nice one.

Try to reduce that window if you can, as the longer the body ‘fasts’ the more you get from it. I occasionally go OMAD (one meal a day), but when I eat after that, I eat a lot. I want to get to a position where I do 1 40 hour fast a week.

Also, IMO, I would look to reduce fruit intake. Fruits (in general) are high in fructose (sugars) which spikes your insulin. Berries, in general, are better for you. The ‘5-a-day’ guidance linking fruit/veg together is garbage. Veg is much better than fruit, and ‘over-ground’ veg is better than ‘below-ground’ veg, as that tends to have more starch/carbs. There’s so much linked to fatty liver too - again, this can be caused by too much sugar (be that man made or natural).

If you are really interested, watch some of the YouTube stuff by Dr Berg (as mentioned earlier) - it explains the logic behind it and why, what so many health professionals prescribe is wrong.

I’ve see that Midnight R has responded but I can’t be bothered to engage as he confuses too many issues, like trying to treat fruits and veg in the same category. Good luck with the IF - you’ll feel much better after.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I am tired of repeating myself. Unless you are a medical professional or have significant evidence to back this up, it is just your opinion. And you’ll forgive me if I take the medically and scientifically backed opinions from the medical practitioners, health organisations and studies (that I have linked previously this thread) over your own. You are welcome to read and view the aforementioned sources at your leisure. Enjoy :wave:
OK - I will give my opinion.

1. Dementia is a disease that disproportionately affects the old.
2. People who din't live to be old are less likely to get dementia.

As far as incidence of heart disease goes, of course it's going to rise as people live longer. Go back 100 years. Loads of people died of measles, or appendicitis, of scarlet fever, of syphilis, of blood poisoning, of all sorts of diseases that are now curable. All those people who may have died under the age of 50 are now living longer. They've got to die of something, and heart disease, cancer, and dementia are three of the ones that we can't yet reliably sure.

You check the death rates. It's still 100 deaths per 100 people. (Sorry, I don't have a link. :wink: ) If measles etc are off the list, they have to be replaced by something else. Stands to reason.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Also, IMO, I would look to reduce fruit intake. Fruits (in general) are high in fructose (sugars) which spikes your insulin. Berries, in general, are better for you. The ‘5-a-day’ guidance linking fruit/veg together is garbage. Veg is much better than fruit, and ‘over-ground’ veg is better than ‘below-ground’ veg, as that tends to have more starch/carbs. There’s so much linked to fatty liver too - again, this can be caused by too much sugar (be that man made or natural).

its not "garbage", its simple advice aimed at getting people to have a modest varied diet. rather than cult like faith in one particular perfect diet, which is refuted by a dozen other cult diets.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I’ve see that Midnight R has responded but I can’t be bothered to engage as he confuses too many issues, like trying to treat fruits and veg in the same category.

I am admittedly genuinely confused as to why you’d think I’d give your opinion as much credence as medical practitioners, health organisations from around the world and dozens and dozens of studies :shrug:

You’ve made many bold claims. And whilst I’m not against that, you’ve failed to back them up, providing minimal to no evidence, bar your own opinion. Telling me to ‘watch some YouTube clips’ isn’t quite as credible as the doctors, health organisations and studies I have previously mentioned. None of which you have been able or bothered to refute.

larus

its not "garbage", its simple advice aimed at getting people to have a modest varied diet. rather than cult like faith in one particular perfect diet, which is refuted by a dozen other cult diets.

Er, it is complete garbage. If you think the benefits of fruits and vegetables comparable then you really need to do more research.

Fruits should be viewed as a treat. Vegetables as a integral part of a healthy diet.

Fruits are high in sugars, which cause more of an insulin spike and the body does not like too much sugar. Too much insulin over a long period of time leads to insulin resistance, which is the start of diabetes.

Note : I’m not saying that fruits will directly cause diabetes, but if you want to avoid/cure diabetes, then a decent start would be to reduce the sugar intake (and that would include fruits). Just my opinion before anyone accusing me of giving medical advice.

Too much sugar consumption will also lead to a fatty liver.

Anyway, I’m out of here. Can’t be bothered with those with a limited/blinkered view sounding off based on BBC articles.

larus

OK - I will give my opinion.

1. Dementia is a disease that disproportionately affects the old.
2. People who din't live to be old are less likely to get dementia.

As far as incidence of heart disease goes, of course it's going to rise as people live longer. Go back 100 years. Loads of people died of measles, or appendicitis, of scarlet fever, of syphilis, of blood poisoning, of all sorts of diseases that are now curable. All those people who may have died under the age of 50 are now living longer. They've got to die of something, and heart disease, cancer, and dementia are three of the ones that we can't yet reliably sure.

You check the death rates. It's still 100 deaths per 100 people. (Sorry, I don't have a link. :wink: ) If measles etc are off the list, they have to be replaced by something else. Stands to reason.

You’ll never win with him. I usually ignore his posts as he is a self-righteous person who thinks that he can’t learn anything. I’ve been interested in health and nutrition for a long time, and have read a lot on the subject. However, I don’t make a list of articles I’ve read as a way of ‘proving’ my option.

If people don’t want to consider opinions which challenge their view, that’s their choice.

For example, I used to eat a lot of fruit/veg/salad, then, after discussions with a friend of mine (who took a 3 year nutrition course and knows much more than me on the subject), he said that he’d changed his diet to reduce fruits and increased meat intake. He pointed me to various things to read and I made my own judgment.

All I can go by is the results.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
You’ll never win with him. I usually ignore his posts as he is a self-righteous person who thinks that he can’t learn anything. I’ve been interested in health and nutrition for a long time, and have read a lot on the subject. However, I don’t make a list of articles I’ve read as a way of ‘proving’ my option.

If people don’t want to consider opinions which challenge their view, that’s their choice.

For example, I used to eat a lot of fruit/veg/salad, then, after discussions with a friend of mine (who took a 3 year nutrition course and knows much more than me on the subject), he said that he’d changed his diet to reduce fruits and increased meat intake. He pointed me to various things to read and I made my own judgment.

All I can go by is the results.

On the contrary, I can learn a great deal. Also a bit rich to say I’m self righteous when, during our initial back and fourth, you claimed I was ill informed because I had the audacity to question your opinion. Hypocrite much?

You have offered no evidence whatsoever and seem confused as to why I don’t hold your opinion in the same esteem as renowned physicians and health organisations. And seem to be criticising me for citing their works :mad:

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hache Beyond Meat Burger again tonight. Trying to support the local businesses. There were only 3 tables eating.

Anyway, cracking. I prefer it without the vegan cheese.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I am admittedly genuinely confused as to why you’d think I’d give your opinion as much credence as medical practitioners, health organisations from around the world and dozens and dozens of studies :shrug:

Too many people confuse their opinion with facts. Some sort of narcissism maybe, I don't know...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Nice one.

Try to reduce that window if you can, as the longer the body ‘fasts’ the more you get from it. I occasionally go OMAD (one meal a day), but when I eat after that, I eat a lot. I want to get to a position where I do 1 40 hour fast a week.

If you are really interested, watch some of the YouTube stuff by Dr Berg (as mentioned earlier) - it explains the logic behind it and why, what so many health professionals prescribe is wrong.

I’ve see that Midnight R has responded but I can’t be bothered to engage as he confuses too many issues, like trying to treat fruits and veg in the same category. Good luck with the IF - you’ll feel much better after.

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts on this subject, you clearly know what your talking about, what’s your thoughts on the 5:2 regime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

larus

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts on this subject, you clearly know what your talking about, what’s your thoughts on the 5:2 regime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Apologies for the delay - I don’t come on here so much as I find it quite toxic if you dare to have contrarian views (which I do on quite a few subjects lol).

Any form of ‘fasting’ will be good. Once the body has consumed the carbs, it will need to get energy from somewhere and this will be from fat stores. The ‘fats’ are a much better fuel for the brain too.

When the body gets beyond about 14 hours without food it goes into a process called autophagy (which is how the body recycles the dead cells). This is really good as it will clear out the cells which it doesn’t need first.

People assume that they need constant food as this is what we’ve been told. I used to be a grazer, thinking this was healthier than eating big meals - live and learn eh!. If you look at humans on the evolutionary timescales, our ancestors will often have had time of extended hunger. They survived (I accept that life-spans were shorter, but this would have been for many reasons). Going for 24/48/72 hours without food won’t kill anyone, and will be good for the body (I have yet to go beyond 24 hours but I will get there).

A big issue in modern health is IR (Insulin Resistance). There is a Dr Eric Berg video (The Biggest Secret Of the Keto Universe) which covers (briefly of course as it’s only on youtube) insulin resistance and how doctors treat the effects not the cause. So many things are linked to IR. There are other people besides Eric Berg with other channels too saying the same/similar things too. I also have a good friend who did a 3 year nutrition course who is always reading about new thinking and he confirms their suggestions too.

I need to correct an earlier point I made too about fruits spiking blood sugar/insulin. They don’t but, if someone has a fatty liver (again, a problem linked to IR/diet) then eating too much fruit will cause the liver to need to process that fructose.

How I started on the IF (intermittent Fasting) was to drop breakfast and eat say midday and 7pm ish. Now, I eat roughly 2pm/7pm. Also, I avoid snacking (most of the time lol). I don’t always feel hungry at 2pm, but probably still eat then as it’s a bit like habit - as in, I now eat twice a day. What I need to do is mix it up more, which is sort of like the 5:2 diet.

Another thing to consider is quality of food. So, organic is much better than mass produced, but of course, this costs more. However, if you are eating less then paying a bit more may not cost that much more overall.

By all means ask if you have any questions, or PM me if you’d prefer.

Gus Pooyet

Feb 17, 2021
As Boycie would say: 'You smell like a Vegetarians Fart'...and unfortunately so must your homes

Fair play to any Vegetarians or Vegans (especially the non preaching ones) who choose this way of daily digestion as it definitely has its benefits, but in all honesty I haven't met one yet in the flesh that doesn't physically look like they're on their way to a 'Walking Dead' audition

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Having scanned this thread there seems to be a degree of conflation around vegan and healthy. It’s hard to argue around the health benefits of a vegan diet for our planet,. However for us, a totally different question. Next time you pick up your non meat burger or vegan cheese take a look at the ingredients list - wow - they can be so full of additives it is really worrying. That is before you touch upon the labour scandal that could hit the pea protein sector anytime soon.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Having scanned this thread there seems to be a degree of conflation around vegan and healthy. It’s hard to argue around the health benefits of a vegan diet for our planet,. However for us, a totally different question. Next time you pick up your non meat burger or vegan cheese take a look at the ingredients list - wow - they can be so full of additives it is really worrying. That is before you touch upon the labour scandal that could hit the pea protein sector anytime soon.

Re your point about veganism and health… You are of course right, simply being vegan doesn’t make you healthy. But its to important to distinguish the differences between vegan and whole food plant based. The former is an ethical stance whereas WFPB isn’t, and is perhaps based on health or environmental factors

So, on a Vegan diet, you can stuff your face with Oreos, chips and vegan alternatives but, as you say, doing so won’t suddenly make you lose weight and become healthy. I would argue it’s still a better lifestyle in regards to the impact it has on the environment and the animals - which is the whole point of veganism, but it won’t necessarily make you healthier. The whole food plant based diet on the other hand is a different story, better for your health, the environment and the animals, although as I say above, isn’t necessarily a diet based on animal welfare.

As for the additives in faux meat and cheeses, if you’re eating processed meat and dairy, the proverb about ‘those who live in glass houses should not throw stones’ springs to mind. Best avoided regardless of the diet you follow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here