Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

East Stand Zero Tolerance

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
East Stand is definite not for me then, can't possibly go to a football match without swearing at some point.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I guess the club are trying to cater for everybody, it's entirely plausable that nowadays not everybody that goes to football wants to be boisterous. There is an elderly couple that sit behind us at Withdean that are sitting in the East Stand at Falmer - they of course cheer encouragement to the team and join in a couple of songs but I can understand that they would rather sit in a place they know they will be with other people that aren't quite as energetic in support for the team and the club has provided this.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The North seemed to be the stand of choice among the H blockers yesterday - so should be a cracking atmosphere there hopefully. I just don't like watching matches from behind the goal. Started off at the Goldstone on the old East terrace, which seemed to be 95% inhabited by whinging old men. There was NEVER any singing whatsoever. Didn't take me long to move to the North Stand, despite the inferior view - just couldn't stick the total lack of atmosphere. Almost certainly avoiding the East now!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I think that this policy combined with the higher priced seats on the East Side are the two reasons why most (i.e. at least 80%) of the people I've been talking to have gone for the Upper West Tier.

I can see why the club thought it was a good idea, but I do think that both factors are going to lead to the East side being more sparsely occupied. I suspect they may have to re-think their East side ticket pricing after the first season, but only time will tell.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Sounds like moving might be a good idea then. I don't want to sit in a stand which has the atmosphere of a nursing home and don't want to be having to worry about what my other half is doing as it will spoil the fun totally. Will be interested to see what the reply from the club is though - thanks for posting that Kev.
I can understand the family stand being zero tolerance, but if people decide to take their kids to other parts of the ground then they must be aware that they are going to hear swearing occasionally. Can't really see what the club is trying to achieve by making the East zero tolerance apart from destroying the atmosphere there.

Perhaps, got your money ban you then its a seat for re-sale:blush:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I started on the East with my friend, his old man & his grandad.

Once i was old enough, straight into the North Stand.

Now I am starting to take my little one, its back to the East, for the time being like, then back to the atmosphere.

This is a way the new generation come through and god knows we need them.

At present at withdean, everyone is dispersed, thus making a muted atmosphere.

For all you avoiding the East, I for one am looking forward to the noise you will be making elsewhere.

It doesnt take a swear up though to make an atmosphere.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
When I first started going the Goldstone regularly with my dad we used to go on the East. I would have been about 7 or 8 years old.

I guess the East was the "unofficial" family stand in those days. My dad would stand on the higher part of the terrace and smoke his Hamlets, whilst I would scrap about on the bottom part of the terrace with other kids - playing football with old Coca Cola cans and occassionly stopping to glance at the action if the North Stand "Oooohhhed!" or the ball came out for a throw in near our fence.

Now we kids probably heard / witnessed plenty of swearing, cursing and general "robust" behaviour. But I don't think it did any of us any harm, to be honest. The "zero tolerance" policy in the East Stand at the Amex seems pointless and indicative of shite football policies these days. Oh well.

Up the Albion.

That is the best response by far, more-so because our kids can treat us to the words....and trust me Mine can !!!

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
And I heard that to enforce that the club have appointed that young steward who patrols the staircase of ’H’ block like a vulture.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Does language such as 'zero tolerance' actually have any place in trying to entice potential customers to a leisure activity in the 21st century? I'd suggest not.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Ive got mine in West upper. But as a parent I do belive there is a place for the east stand policy. You pay your money and take your choice. Just hope they stick to it, if an elderly couple or a family want to watch the game without druken behoviour and swearing going on around them, then good luck to them. Me, I shall have a beer and give abuse, thats what its all about for me!!!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Ive got mine in West upper. But as a parent I do belive there is a place for the east stand policy. You pay your money and take your choice. Just hope they stick to it, if an elderly couple or a family want to watch the game without druken behoviour and swearing going on around them, then good luck to them. Me, I shall have a beer and give abuse, thats what its all about for me!!!

For home games - not for me.

For away games - me

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The way the club have described the East Stand does make it sound totally offputting. "Zero tolerance" at a football match for shouting / swearing is ridiculous. Whilst most people don't want to be near someone who is CONSTANTLY f-ing and blinding and generally being obnoxious, a degree of tolerance is required - its a football match after all, not the theatre. Kids are just as likely to hear industrial language from the players anyway (or they certainly will if the stand they are in is specifically instructed to sit down and shut up).

A reasonable balance needs to be struck. Designating the 2nd biggest stand in the stadium as being the "zero tolerance" stand is being a bit draconian, and as we can already see from some of the posts, very offputting.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The way the club have described the East Stand does make it sound totally offputting. "Zero tolerance" at a football match for shouting / swearing is ridiculous. Whilst most people don't want to be near someone who is CONSTANTLY f-ing and blinding and generally being obnoxious, a degree of tolerance is required - its a football match after all, not the theatre. Kids are just as likely to hear industrial language from the players anyway (or they certainly will if the stand they are in is specifically instructed to sit down and shut up).

A reasonable balance needs to be struck. Designating the 2nd biggest stand in the stadium as being the "zero tolerance" stand is being a bit draconian, and as we can already see from some of the posts, very offputting.

Isn't there also a 'zero tolerance' policy of wearing colours in the 1901ers?

Those snipers on the roof are going to be really busy.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
From the presentation....

eastx.jpg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Family area will still be subject to foul and abusive language being heard as the acoustics of the stadium have been designed to create an atmosphere. Non season ticket holders buying on a match per match basis will all end up in the East Stand because the North Stand will all be STH's wanting to enjoy the game with minimal interference.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Non season ticket holders buying on a match per match basis will all end up in the East Stand because the North Stand will all be STH's wanting to enjoy the game with minimal interference.
Well they will end up there because the club will have to use the south end of the East stand for the extra away fans allocation for cup matches, which makes that area unavailable to season ticket holders.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair, on Wozza's picture it says 'minimal' tolerance rather than 'zero'. I wonder what constitutes 'minimal' tolerance? Everyone will have their own interpretation, but hopefully common sense will prevail, i.e. the odd expletive in the heat of the moment (it is a football match after all) will be ok, but a full-on, boozed-up effing and blinding session will probably get you ejected.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I suspect this is all a red herring. Yes you can't stand up and berate the ref all match but I am sure they are not going to jump on those that act in a normal football way. It's just not for the total twats that only go for abuse that's all. I think the stewards will be very busy if they police everyone swearing!!!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Isn't there also a 'zero tolerance' policy of wearing colours in the 1901ers?

Those snipers on the roof are going to be really busy.

Thats not right, colours can be worn in 1901, it was asked at our presentation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here