Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

East Stand Zero Tolerance

zigyo

Jan 16, 2011
Hello all

This is my first post on here, but I am a long standing Albion fan and South Stand ST holder for several years. Got some questions about the zero tolerance policy being advertised in the East Stand which I hope people can give me their thoughts on...

Me & husband have got STs in the East stand pretty central just in front of the 1901 seats as a friends +3. Our presentation is not until Feb and we are still planning on going to it.

As I didn't attend the presentation I didn't know about the zero tolerance policy until reading the thread yesterday. Really concerned now that the east stand is going to lack atmosphere and that swearing is going to result in my other half getting chucked out or hassled by the stewards. He likes to berate the officials and, let's face it, they normally deserve it!

Currently I sit in D block at the moment and there is a good bit of banter that goes on and we would like to be somewhere similar at Falmer.

What's the general opinion on here about the East stand? Do you think there will be a good atmosphere. Not many people seem to be going for it, so interested to know who is buying the tickets.

If we decide not to sit in the East does anyone know if we can swap before our presentation as we'd like to be fairly central.

Cheers

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How do you know there will be a different tolerance approach in the East Stand to the rest of the stadium? Are you just going from a rumour on here - or was it mentioned at the presentation. If it's true, that is just ridiculous - surely the tolerance rules should be applied equally throughout the stadium (except perhaps for the family section).

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
How do you know there will be a different tolerance approach in the East Stand to the rest of the stadium? Are you just going from a rumour on here - or was it mentioned at the presentation. If it's true, that is just ridiculous - surely the tolerance rules should be applied equally throughout the stadium (except perhaps for the family section).

It was mentioned at the presentation and did apply to the family section. I did not hear it mentioned for the whole stand.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Kev, it was confirmed at our presentation on Friday; the whole of the east stand will be a "respect" stand with zero tolerance on swearing, standing, drunkenness, yobbishness, etc. It certainly put us off.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
i would guess the zero tolerance is for the family section of the east stand. As for the rest of the east stand i dont think it will be any different from the rest of the stadium, for cup games the block at the south end will be away fans and i think most of the pay on day fans will be in east too so im sure atmosphere will be ok.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Kev, it was confirmed at our presentation on Friday; the whole of the east stand will be a "respect" stand with zero tolerance on swearing, standing, drunkenness, yobbishness, etc. It certainly put us off.
Jesus. So no atmosphere at all on that side of the ground then.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008

So this will be allowed in all other stands??? I cant see them treating anyone in the east any different to other stands.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Have posted a question on Ask the Club... was planning on going in the East but not if it's going to be like spending an afternoon in the library.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So this will be allowed in all other stands??? I cant see them treating anyone in the east any different to other stands.

Yes, to a certain extent- if you shout "you wanker" at the referee from the west stand you won't get thrown out. Also, they definitely said it was for the whole stand.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
From what I understand the whole of the East is going to be the 'respect' stand, so if you or your other half like to have a bit of a shout then it's probably best to move...

Feb 14, 2010
The club has to decide what it wants. If they want a side of the ground to sit down and sit on their hands, then I hope they tell Gus Poyet so that he doesnt complain about the inevitable lack of a 12th man cheering the side on. The club cant have it both ways, its just how it is

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I don't understand the need for it. I can understand why it should apply in the family section - but the whole of one side of the ground?!

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Yes, to a certain extent- if you shout "you wanker" at the referee from the west stand you won't get thrown out. Also, they definitely said it was for the whole stand.

Find it strange the club are deciding to have differnt levels of acceptable behaviour in different areas. The south end of the east would be good to have banter with away fans not zero tolerance!!

zigyo

Jan 16, 2011
Sounds like moving might be a good idea then. I don't want to sit in a stand which has the atmosphere of a nursing home and don't want to be having to worry about what my other half is doing as it will spoil the fun totally. Will be interested to see what the reply from the club is though - thanks for posting that Kev.
I can understand the family stand being zero tolerance, but if people decide to take their kids to other parts of the ground then they must be aware that they are going to hear swearing occasionally. Can't really see what the club is trying to achieve by making the East zero tolerance apart from destroying the atmosphere there.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
When I first started going the Goldstone regularly with my dad we used to go on the East. I would have been about 7 or 8 years old.

I guess the East was the "unofficial" family stand in those days. My dad would stand on the higher part of the terrace and smoke his Hamlets, whilst I would scrap about on the bottom part of the terrace with other kids - playing football with old Coca Cola cans and occassionly stopping to glance at the action if the North Stand "Oooohhhed!" or the ball came out for a throw in near our fence.

Now we kids probably heard / witnessed plenty of swearing, cursing and general "robust" behaviour. But I don't think it did any of us any harm, to be honest. The "zero tolerance" policy in the East Stand at the Amex seems pointless and indicative of shite football policies these days. Oh well.

Up the Albion.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
This has put us off going in there,we will be going in the West upper now.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The club has to decide what it wants. If they want a side of the ground to sit down and sit on their hands, then I hope they tell Gus Poyet so that he doesnt complain about the inevitable lack of a 12th man cheering the side on. The club cant have it both ways, its just how it is
I think it could help the atmosphere though, having all the singers grouped together in the upper west and north.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010

On the basis of this thread then one homophobic word from away fans must result in them being led away from the stadium. Set rules must go both ways and they should be aware of this, perhaps in their home programme notes prior to their visit and matchday programme notes at our end on the day. We dont tolerate racism so why tolerate their tripe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here