Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Earliest Albion FA Cup memory?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Chelsea 1967 draw at the Goldstone.

Mine too! Mind you I'd only just moved to Sussex and whilst I went to the Goldstone I was a primarily a Chelsea fan, so I was mortified when we could only scrape a draw. Fortunately we won 4-0 in the replay.

EDIT: I'm trying to think what my second memory is, and do you know It's all pretty much a blank until that series of matches against Palace which ended with the infamous Ron Challis game. We never seemed to do much in the FA Cup.

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I must have one before, but I cant remember any significant games, so its Spurs away when we lost 2-1 Carpenter scored a free kick. The after that would be the Northwich Victoria home game a couple of seasons later.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
(I was on one of the trains that never got there).

So was I - train broke down....

The Albion then put on a showing of the game at a cinema (Hove I think?) Unfortunately I couldn't get there as there was a train strike that day!

British Rail - we're getting there (or not)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I witnessed my first Albion loss in the FA Cup as we got completely outplayed by David Moyes' Preston side in 2001.

I had been to about 15 games over the previous two seasons without seeing a defeat before that.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pretty certain they were all league cup. First three in 76/77 and Forest 78 (I was on one of the trains that never got there).

There would not have been enough room if the train did arrive.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There would not have been enough room if the train did arrive.

Think there were two trains that didn't arrive. BR showed a replay of the game at Hove Town Hall and we all got black and white copies of the programme.

Think we also got free travel or tickets for Charlton v Brighton, Poskett's hat trick.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
We got there at ten in the morning, queue four abreast at one o'clock down to Conway Street bus station.

There was an alternative to queuing for tickets - actually go and watch the Albion play!
We were away to Peterborough that day. Then we had to find Len Stringer, a Director, outside their main entrance where we were given a voucher that we could use to buy a ticket at the Goldstone ticket office the following Monday. (Then found out that Supporters Club members could buy a ticket in the week from their office by St Peters.)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I lived up north from about 80-93 with a brief year or so in Godlaming and London inbetween.
So away matches on my own, was my main staple diet, and I only really started going on my own at the age of 16.
I do remember, but not that well the 1-0 win at Anfield, but I recall the beatings off the School scallies I got at school the Monday after a lot more, until my friendly neighbourhood skinheads at school helped me.

My first venture on my own was away at Burnden Park 2-1 defeat, cold shitty day in 92.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I've always thought it was an FA Cup game, but I've just looked it up and now realised that I have been living a lie all these years...

I was going to say the 3-3 draw with Bournemouth at the Goldstone in Jan '94.

We were knocked out of the cup earlier in the season by 'muff (away), which may have caused the confusion, but I wasn't there.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
7-1 victory against Hillingdon Borough. Pat Sayward was the gaffer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here