Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My earliest Cup memories are

WBA away - League Cup I think - we won
Ipswich at home - no idea which cup - I think we won
Derby Home and away - again no idea - we lost in the replay away
Forest away - no idea which cup - we lost

Those games could cover a number of years but they are the only ones I remember as being early in my Albion supporting days

Pretty certain they were all league cup. First three in 76/77 and Forest 78 (I was on one of the trains that never got there).

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
1st FA Cup game was the 10-1 at home to Wisbech in 1965/66, as a 10 year old watching from the Chicken Run.
Then next year I remember clearly going to the reserve game to get the ticket for Chelsea at home, and John Boyle hacking down Wally Gould I think.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
It's a shame no one remembers the time we scored 6 at Highbury!

But then again,you'd have to be in your 80's!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They are all League Cup matches

I asked for FA Cup :lolol:

In that case I can’t remember any of them until Newcastle at home in the year we got to the final :lolol:

I started going in ‘75 so as my first memory is 83 I think we can say with some positivity that dementia has kicked in :down:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty certain they were all league cup. First three in 76/77 and Forest 78 (I was on one of the trains that never got there).

I was there and remember feeling sorry for you guys as they announced on the tannoy that there had been train delays for Albion fans, I didn’t realise there were some who didn’t get there

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
In that case I can’t remember any of them until Newcastle at home in the year we got to the final :lolol:

I started going in ‘75 so as my first memory is 83 I think we can say with some positivity that dementia has kicked in :down:

In your defence, during that period ,until the Cup Final, we never got passed the 4th round!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think mine might be Kidderminster in around 1969 ish.. 2-2 at the Goldstone but we won the replay 1-0’with a Kit Napier goal.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
1988 at home to Arsenal, which was the very first football match I went to. We were in the East or North East quite close to the Arsenal fans and I recall spending the majority of the match watching the away fans rather than the actual match as it was quite scary to a then 10 year old. Other memories were that Garry Nelson instantly became my favourite player because he scored (for us), and Perry Groves became my most disliked player because he scored (for them).

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Also my first ever Albion game, v Enfield, November 1969 - we won 2-1.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
March 1960 5th round away to Preston North End
We lost 2-0
Tom Finney played that day
It was his last season

Bill Shankly quote:
"Tom Finney would have been great in any team, in any match and in any age ... even if he had been wearing an overcoat"

Brighton 3 - Burnley 3. Little ol' Albion in Division 2 versus the current League Champions.
Whilst I saw that game, I can remember from the season before: Brighton 6 - Rotherham 0. Second replay at Highbury.

Burnley were a great side in those days so that was a teriffic result for us. I remember standing right at the front next to the post of the north stand goal

Was that the game where Billy McNicol scored a fantastic goal? If so it was right beside me!

Last edited:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Chelsea 1967 draw at the Goldstone.

I was only about 12 then, friend who lived in the same road as me at that time paid our entry fee to the Goldstone north stand for a match against Barrow ( I think, possibly a reserve match), which entitled attendees to purchase Chelsea cup tickets, he was obviously a budding entrepreneur as our little gang who went never got the Chelsea tickets.

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
It's a shame no one remembers the time we scored 6 at Highbury!

But then again,you'd have to be in your 80's!

I do.I was there. And I'm only 71!

I was also at most of the matches mentioned so far. Apart from that epic night at Highbury, the others that stand out in my memory are both Walton games and the 0-0 at Aldershot.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Burnley were a great side in those days so that was a teriffic result for us. I remember standing right at the front next to the post of the north stand goal

Was that the game where Billy McNicol scored a fantastic goal? If so it was right beside me!

Yes Biggest thrill for me was that I had a cigarette card of Ray Pointer and he was playing for Burnley

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I can’t match those who go back to the 60s but mine are early 70s ..
Home v Chelsea ... they had a top team then and Ron (chopper) Harris got sent off but they still won.
Home v Walton and Hersham.. a team of amateurs. They slaughtered us, I think 0 - 4 in Cloughies time with us . It was a Wednesday afternoon because of an electricity shut down at nights .. Definitely the worst display I have ever seen from an Albion team

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sheffield Wednesday - Brighton 1-0 in GPY 1. Glorious stuff.

GP giving a chance to Bong and Balogun to show their worth. I think it was the last Brighton game for both of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here