Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

e-cash goes at end of this season. Do you use it?

Do you use e-cash?

• No

Votes: 89 34.5%
  • Yes, but only occasionally

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • Yes, from time to time

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • Yes, nearly all the time

Votes: 133 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
What I've observed is that no one in shops/supermarkets uses the e-cash, for obvious reasons. but a great many use e-cash at Falmer. it stands to reason that those used to e-cash at Falmer with easily transfer to contactless, and allows those that dont have e-cash to use a quicker method than cash. the two seconds needed for 1 in 5 that might need to input a PIN doesn't seem likely to cause a substantial increase in queuing. as you say, they are fundamentally the same system, so it doesnt make alot of sense to persist with your own bespoke system when theres a universal one available. i'd wager theres a substantial cost saving behind this.

Isn't the point that e-cash gives 10% back (or did they bin that ages ago?)

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I always used e-cash but seeing as nearly all my purchases are in the hour before kickoff when they dropped the cash back rates I've tended to use cash more so won't really miss it.
What I would like to know is as I've got a relatively small amount of credit on my card £5-6ish and now won't bother topping up can I use this as part payment tomorrow night for my pie and pint and pay the difference or do I have to buy something for a lesser value? ( meaning the club will clear up at the end of the season with all the pennies left in credit on fans cards)

I always used e-cash but seeing as nearly all my purchases are in the hour before kickoff when they dropped the cash back rates I've tended to use cash more so won't really miss it.
What I would like to know is as I've got a relatively small amount of credit on my card £5-6ish and now won't bother topping up can I use this as part payment tomorrow night for my pie and pint and pay the difference or do I have to buy something for a lesser value? ( meaning the club will clear up at the end of the season with all the pennies left in credit on fans cards)

Good luck with that. Last time I tried to do that it took nearly ten minutes and four different members of staff to work it out.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I only ever use ecash and would not take a debit card to a game. They will lose money from me because if I do not have any cash on Saturday morning I will go without rather
than go to the bank to get cash. It is easy to load up the card from home if I need to.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
No pies, for the sake of keeping my spare tyre reasonably small.

Speaking of spare tyres. Was that yours on the back of that Toyota pick-up?

change-roadside-flat-tire-definitive-guide.w654.jpg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So, in this poll, users outnumber non-users ~2:1. In a general election that would be a complete and total landslide. Interesting.

I do believe that the withdrawal at the end of the season will result in me spending at least 80% less on match days than I currently do, for a reason that hasn't been stated yet. When the 10% across the board discount for using e-cash was replaced by the time-driven 0, 5, 10, & 15% discounts instead, 1901 punters retained the flat 10% discount. About every other game I have the £12.50 meal thing (that would typically cost around half that in a pub). However, and psychologically this is important, I partially console myself by saying "ah well, after discount, it's only £11.25", knowing that in the real world that's a ridiculous argument, but needing to find some way to persuade myself to continue the purchase.

This argument happened again on Saturday. As I munched my way through 3 sausages, bubble, a big yorkie and gravy, I distinctly remember thinking to myself "what would need to happen for me to conclude that I couldn't justify buying food of this (very average) quality at this price any longer?" and coming up with "...the removal of the 10% discount". Lo and behold.

It's not that I can't afford the extra £1.25, it's just that there has to be a trigger point beyond which you think "hang on a minute", and, for me, that trigger point is the removal of the 10% discount.

I'll continue having the odd beer, but I reckon the club will lose ~£175pa from me. It's not a problem; stuff happens. It's just that that will likely be my personal reaction. Of course, if they find a way to continue the 10% discount, I'll keep being somewhat of a mug...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went against the grain and bought 2 pies at Huddersfield game, they were ok nothing special, as I wanted to clear my card. Result was I paid on the card and then the balance by cash but it doesnt clear the card as it then gave me 10% back on the card so there is still £1.10 on it how do I and perhaps 10k others clear their cards completely v Watford. Or do the club pocket £10k although they have given it in the first place.

warlingham seagull

Jul 28, 2004
Warlingham
On Tuesday I had just over £4 on my card and my son had just over £2 - just enough for a pie and a pint with 15% discount.
The situation was somewhat farcical as it took the £4 from my card and then recredited the discount. I did the same with my son's card with the same result and then used mine again and so on..... You get the picture. Result one pie and pint - 9p on one card and 14p on the other. On current form enough for a striker!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Went against the grain and bought 2 pies at Huddersfield game, they were ok nothing special, as I wanted to clear my card. Result was I paid on the card and then the balance by cash but it doesnt clear the card as it then gave me 10% back on the card so there is still £1.10 on it how do I and perhaps 10k others clear their cards completely v Watford. Or do the club pocket £10k although they have given it in the first place.

Top it up again, then...

"The club will continue to remind those fans with ecash funds of the impending changes - but those with balances of £10 or more at the end of the season will be eligible to apply for a refund by cheque. The club will not be able to offer or process any refunds after 31 May 2015. "

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You lose it, I believe...

Those supporters who use ecash and have funds in their accounts are encouraged to spend the remaining amounts on their accounts before the end of the current season. While the auto top-up system will be switched off from 31st March 2015.

The club will continue to remind those fans with ecash funds of the impending changes - but those with balances of £10 or more at the end of the season will be eligible to apply for a refund by cheque. The club will not be able to offer or process any refunds after 31 May 2015.

Source: http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...ion-contactless-american-express-2288464.aspx

Was anything said about donating all of these surplus balances to AITC, or did I imagine that?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Top it up again, then...

"The club will continue to remind those fans with ecash funds of the impending changes - but those with balances of £10 or more at the end of the season will be eligible to apply for a refund by cheque. The club will not be able to offer or process any refunds after 31 May 2015. "

What you are saying is put £10 on the card then get a cheque back fpr £11.10 but I thought top up has been stopped now so you cant do it, or am I wrong or too late. I must admit when paying I forgot about the repayment to the card.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I had £1 something on my card, so I bought a cup of tea making up the difference with cash. The club are welcome to the odd pence or is it Sodexo?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Was emailed by the club in the prematch brief to tell us the stadium was all now contactless . Imagine how unsurprised we were to learn that excluded the Overline lunge, was it the also the case in other 1901 areas?.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Was emailed by the club in the prematch brief to tell us the stadium was all now contactless . Imagine how unsurprised we were to learn that excluded the Overline lunge, was it the also the case in other 1901 areas?.

Yes its not contactless yet in the Mayo Wynn Baxter. Much moaning going on Tuesday because a lot of us had small balances on our card which we couldn't use because they wouldn't take cash as a top up. Theres a lot of us with about £2 or £3 which we can't spend.:rant:

Incidently I know Barber was trumpeting the fact that there would be no increase in catering costs next season. However as most of us got a 10% discount/cashback using the e-card, presumably were be stumping up another 10%. Some freeze!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'd completely forgotten e-cash even existed as I stopped using it when they removed / reduced the discount. Just checked my balance and still have £19.40 on there, best remember to use it up at the Watford game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here