Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D'URSO is the referee on Tuesday night.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He has been the worst professional referee in this country for years - god help us.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Generally try to be fair to referees, impossible job and all that, but remember seeing D'Urso ref a game vs Exeter at Priestfield years ago when he was not long in the business and thinking that it was the single most inept performance by an official that I'd ever seen in any sport (and I was there when the Ascot stewards disqualified Royal Gait from the Gold Cup).

He simply got every decison wrong - whether for us or them - for the entire match. Couldn't believe it when he turned up reffing in the Premiership not long afterwards, and time does not seem to have improved him much. There is no ref in Europe with as much potential to create mayhem in a match that really doesn't need any stoking up.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
And I got up so chirpy this morning.

Then I read this and thought "Oh, no. Please not him! Anyone but him." Really spoilt my good mood.

The bloke is an utter tosser. Him and Prosser are the worst referees I have ever seen.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But he got that penalty shout right! Even though the whole ground thought he didn't.

No he didn't. Replays showed the Sunrland keeper's foot caught Calderon's. It was a trip, which makes it a penalty, all the neutrals who were reporting on it said so, it's not just the biased brighton fans. Even if you want to deny a penalty, FIFA instructions are that if there is contact you can't book a player for diving, so he was wrong to book Calderon for diving.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This one made me chuckle as D'Urso sent off the wrong Palace player, but look who got sent off for headbutting Freedman.

Match Report - Crystal Palace FC Supporters' Website - The Holmesdale Online

Ooh! That made two of us that chuckled..!

Tempers flared in the 78th minute when Poyet, who was upset with a challenge by Palace second half sub Dougie Freedman twice headbutted the back of Scotsman's head.

Referee D'Urso missed it but the linesman informed him and gave Freedman a yellow card and Poyet red.

Moments later, a hard tackle by substitute Smith on Bobby Zamora caused a mellee between both sets of players. In the confusion, D'Urso sent off Butterfield for the challenge.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't there some League Cup match away at Orient, must have been 15 years plus ago...always sticks in my mind as the worst refereeing display I've ever seen.

*Sorry, having checked my mistake, that was Paul Danson. Another master of his craft*

Last edited:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Barrel of Fun that is brilliant, haha! Gus Poyet my Lord, Gus Poyet, oh Lord, Gus Poyet :bowdown:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
No he didn't. Replays showed the Sunrland keeper's foot caught Calderon's. It was a trip, which makes it a penalty, all the neutrals who were reporting on it said so, it's not just the biased brighton fans. Even if you want to deny a penalty, FIFA instructions are that if there is contact you can't book a player for diving, so he was wrong to book Calderon for diving.

You obviously didn't see the footage from the East Stand that was directly behind his run which showed there was no contact whatsoever. "Biased Brighton fans", what a strange comment.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You obviously didn't see the footage from the East Stand that was directly behind his run which showed there was no contact whatsoever. "Biased Brighton fans", what a strange comment.

Actually, the east stand view shows there was contact between the keeper's left foot and calderon's right. It was all covered here in this now closed thread:

Calderon DIVED.. Look at around 32 seconds on the video on the first page, look at Calde's right foot and the keeper's left. (It's the view from the east stand)

The first couple of pages agree with you (on initially watching the replay I thought it was a dive) until Woodchip highlighted the contact, then the discussion mostly changes (bar the odd post from someone responding to the first post without reading the whole thread) into whether that trip constitutes a foul.

"Biased brighton fans" distingushes between those brighton fans who think any decision against us is harsh, and the fair minded brighton fans who can view incidents from a more neutral point of view, hardly a strange comment.

Last edited:

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
It's not a case of D'Urso actually being biased. He'll probably give just as many poor decisions in our favour as against us, but it's all so random where he's concerned that it could well turn a game in which we are a worthy odds-on shot into a complete crap shoot.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
D'Urso is the one ref who really winds me up. Sure we've won with him in charge (wrong phrase there but never mind.) The point is though that he invariably fails to get a grip in the first 25 minutes, and after that games go totally out of his control and he just makes randomly bad decisions.

Over a long period - I also remember the Pissfield game in 1998 - he's been the worst English referee by a country mile.

I'm chilling tomorrow as best I can...don't want to have a stroke beacuse of that idiot.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Actually, the east stand view shows there was contact between the keeper's left foot and calderon's right. It was all covered here in this now closed thread:

Calderon DIVED.. Look at around 32 seconds on the video on the first page, look at Calde's right foot and the keeper's left. (It's the view from the east stand)

The first couple of pages agree with you (on initially watching the replay I thought it was a dive) until Woodchip highlighted the contact, then the discussion mostly changes (bar the odd post from someone responding to the first post without reading the whole thread) into whether that trip constitutes a foul.

"Biased brighton fans" distingushes between those brighton fans who think any decision against us is harsh, and the fair minded brighton fans who can view incidents from a more neutral point of view, hardly a strange comment.

Aaah I understand your comment now.

re Calderon - Ok no point in dredging that incident up again as everyone will have their opinion.

I do think having a thread about how bad we think a referee is going to be against us is not a good idea though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here