Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Latest Argus Hughton quote but this is from the press conference yesterday i think >>
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/13609359.Albion_boss_to_target_loan_market/

Hughton plans to name [Dunk] in his 18 tonight and says he will treat transfer speculation as a compliment.
Hughton said: “I think we’ve always said any speculation or interest in any of our players is perhaps a bit of a compliment for what we are trying to achieve here but also for the lad.
“He is a good player, a player we would like here and he is very, very committed.”

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This whole "Refusing to play" stuff thread title is a bit off though isn't it.
Surely its "Hughton refusing to play Dunk ?"

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I would say if he's named as a sub again tonight he's off and will only be used in a emergency.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I would say if he's named as a sub again tonight he's off and will only be used in a emergency.

Agreed.
This would be the ideal opportunity to play him with Uwe if we plan to keep him.
Greer can't keep playing two games a week all year.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Agreed.
This would be the ideal opportunity to play him with Uwe if we plan to keep him.
Greer can't keep playing two games a week all year.

I would have thought that Saturday at home would be a better time to play Dunk and Uwe. I wouldn't read anything into him not playing tonight - maybe CH does not want to change the defence again for a tricky away game and that GG is up for it?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Anyone know teams travel arrangements for tonight? ? Since I saw him in his range rover in carden hill this morning! !

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I would have thought that Saturday at home would be a better time to play Dunk and Uwe. I wouldn't read anything into him not playing tonight - maybe CH does not want to change the defence again for a tricky away game and that GG is up for it?

Ought to be a tougher game defensively tonight.
I think a lot would be read into a decision to bench him again, even if it genuinely is for the reason you suggest.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I really can't see Greer missing out. He's our captain, and we have only conceded once in the 3 games he has played this season. I would not be at all suprised if in CH's eyes he is first choice CB.

If Dunk does not start tonight, then surely he is off?

This, Greer has to be one of the best CB's in the league when some say he's past it on here I assume their knowledge of football is not that great. Dunk on the other hand is good yes but also prone to losing the plot every so often which can be costly.
After Uwe's display on Saturday how can you leave him out of the side 100% tackles won stats are impressive.

IMO it's an easy one - Dunk is streets ahead of Greer. There - I said it. (mainly an age thing - Greer has started the season well but also has had a bit of luck - a few times letting players have free headers etc)

TBH how you can say Dunk is 'prone to losing the plot' when comparing him to Greer (who amuses many fans by having one 'Greer moment' per game) is fairly laughable. Especially saying anyone who thinks GG is past it knows little about football - he's struggling to run at times. That might seem unjust and I love GG for all he's done, but I feel the time has come. I also think we've done very well to concede only 1 goal in 3 games, however I acknowledge a fair amount of luck too. If results had been slightly different (which they easily could have been), I question if people would be handing Greer so many compliments...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Anyone know teams travel arrangements for tonight? ? Since I left s in his range rover in carden hill this morning! !

I can't dechiper what your post was meant to say, but the team flew to Leeds last night.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quote from this morning's Argus

Summer business could still include the departure of Lewis Dunk but Hughton plans to name him in his 18 tonight and says he will treat transfer speculation as a compliment.

Hughton said: “I think we’ve always said any speculation or interest in any of our players is perhaps a bit of a compliment for what we are trying to achieve here but also for the lad.

“He is a good player, a player we would like here and he is very, very committed.”

He was stripped off ready to come on at Fulham, so I can't see that he refused to play. The only reason he didn't was because Stephens cramped up, so we needed JFC instead.

That quote from the Argus reveals precisely....nothing.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Much more mobile forward line tonight with Scannell and Wells. Would suit two mobile centre backs so Uwe and Dunk for me.
The only doubt I have is that if Uwe started on his preferred side on Saturday which of the two will play on their "wrong" side when paired? I don't recall seeing Dunk play in Greer's position but could be wrong as maybe he did alongside Upson when GG was out injured?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I can't dechiper what your post was meant to say, but the team flew to Leeds last night.

What would be your thoughts (if Dunk stayed) on our best, regular partnership at CB this season? Would be interested to know...

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Meant to say saw Lewis? in his range rover in carden hill at around 8am this morning. Was his vehicle and looked very like Lewis driving.

If that is true (no reason to doubt it although I don't know the strength of your specs) then we have our answer.
Just a question of where he's going to...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here