Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If he had refused to play at Southend and fined 2 weeks wages, why would he be on the bench for free? If you are going to be fined for refusing to play you wouldn't make yourself available. In effect he would have been fined because NSC said that he was refusing to play?

It just doesn't add up :shrug:

???

Fine. Shame if true. But Dunk not playing on Saturday is hardly evidence of that.

Perhaps things were reconciled - up to a point - during the rest of the week. I don't know. And being fined 2 weeks wages doesn't automatically exclude you from being in the next squad does it.

All I'm saying is that I have no reason to believe that what I was told at the time about him refusing to play, and being fined for it, was a work of fiction. And nothing that's happened since then has either categorically proved or disproved it. It just boils down to what you choose to believe.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Not been mentioned much, but Dunk was also are top scorer last season, so we would miss this as well as his defending ability if he is leaving

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dunk wouldn't be able to have formal talks with a club until we agree to a fee in principle. It would only be then that he would have permission to discuss personal terms. I could be wrong but I doubt he would really know what he is being offered yet. Then after talks he would weigh up the scenarios and may find it would be better to stay with us a bit longer and wait for better deal with a Prem club in the next Jan or summer window.

He has a personal duty to find out his worth so he has to go through the process whatever he decides.

Very naive. Dunk, via a third party, and via his agent, will know to the nearest five pence, EXACTLY what terms Fulham would be prepared to pay him.

LD: "Hello?"
Agent: "Hi Lewis. Just in case you've been on Mars or don't google yourself Fulham have just bid four million for you."
LD: "Oh, that's nice"
Agent: *sigh* "don't you want to know more?"
LD: "Well, do you think they'll take it? Chris was SUPER lovely to me at training this morning but I thought it was because I did that really nice header and then hid Adrian's tapas in the shed."
Agent: "Look, you know as well as I do that Tony's said he doesn't want to sell you to another Championship club but it's a lot of money for me, er I mean Brighton, so he might. ANYTHING ELSE you want to know?"
LD: Do you think I'd fit in there. You know, what with mum and dad being down here."
Agent: "Fit in? FIT IN? Well, they do need an entire new defence and you'd be separated from the sloaney MILFs by a large away end. But surely there must be SOMETHING ELSE you'd want to know about such a move?"
LD: "No, can't think of anything"
Agent: *waves a twenty under Lewis' nose* "How about NOW?"
LD "Ohh, do they have a tipping service then? I did a monkey at Ascot in the summer."

Etc etc etc

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Perhaps things were reconciled - up to a point - during the rest of the week. I don't know. And being fined 2 weeks wages doesn't automatically exclude you from being in the next squad does it.

All I'm saying is that I have no reason to believe that what I was told at the time about him refusing to play, and being fined for it, was a work of fiction. And nothing that's happened since then has either categorically proved or disproved it. It just boils down to what you choose to believe.

People ITK get things wrong and it can be an honest but misinterpretation of the situation. A cleaner may have overheard some other players teasing Dunk and saying “You will be refusing to play next” Hahaha.

Did you and [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] hear this from the same person, and does this person have a senior role with the club. There are probably lots of rumours and opinions floating around from people involved in the lower level part of the academy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
People ITK get things wrong and it can be an honest but misinterpretation of the situation. A cleaner may have overheard some other players teasing Dunk and saying “You will be refusing to play next” Hahaha.

Did you and [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] hear this from the same person, and does this person have a senior role with the club. There are probably lots of rumours and opinions floating around from people involved in the lower level part of the academy.

I don't know TSB, so I don't know his SAUCE.

For my part, I have a friend who works with someone who is friends with one of the players (I do know which one, and he's in the first team squad). Yup - I know exactly how it all sounds, which is precisely why I didn't even bother posting it when I heard. BUT - on the few occasions I've heard from him, he's been right on the money with other goings on. So I have no reason to disbelieve him this time.

Others may doubt, which is fine. I hardly believe any of the claptrap posted on here either.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't know TSB, so I don't know his SAUCE.

For my part, I have a friend who works with someone who is friends with one of the players (I do know which one, and he's in the first team squad). Yup - I know exactly how it all sounds, which is precisely why I didn't even bother posting it when I heard. BUT - on the few occasions I've heard from him, he's been right on the money with other goings on. So I have no reason to disbelieve him this time.

Others may doubt, which is fine. I hardly believe any of the claptrap posted on here either.

Fair enough, I don't believe you are the type of poster who tries to deceive. :thumbsup:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It's quite possible that:

- Dunk didn't want to play against Southend, seeing it as a worthless match and too much of a risk considering the potential moves rumoured. He was fined 2 weeks wages, as has been discussed, and the matter was resolved somewhat.

- Hughton, having dealt with this, and the fact that the team we were playing last weekend was Fulham - one of the teams interested - decided that Dunk might not have been in the best frame of mind for the game and Greer was a better option to start.

Just because he refused to play against Southend, doesn't mean he refused to play against Fulham.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You can either jump inside his mind, or his thoughts have been shared to you. Do tell.
ps great carry and pass by Jake on Saturday

I did say allegedly ;-) its clear he knows he can earn a shit load more at Fulham though otherwise he wouldnt be off.

JFC is a good player thats why :)

albionite

May 20, 2009
No idea if he wants out or not, but happy the club are playing hard ball on this one.

Fulham are very weak at the back and if we want to finish above them we shouldn't be selling one of our better defensive players to them.

I know £5m plus with add ons seems attractive but after watching the game against Fulham I believe we have a chance of top 6 aslong as we don't strengthen our rivals.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
True. Would that make it more palatable though?
Well I think it would be better than if he's refused to play outright. I could almost understand him not wanting to play Southend. Almost. Though still unprofessional.

Having said that, IF he stays, and it's something that the club and Lewis have resolved, then I'm ok with it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
True. Would that make it more palatable though?
Well there's refusing and there's refusing isn't there. It could be 'I'm not playing for this shitty penny pinching club any more, you can't make me, go **** yourselves', or it could be 'you've already made it clear you want to sell me and you're just waiting for the best offer, I barely get a say in this, I really don't want to be playing a nothing match tonight and getting injured'.

If it's true, I suspect it's somewhere in between, but where in between would affect how I feel about it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No idea if he wants out or not, but happy the club are playing hard ball on this one.

Fulham are very weak at the back and if we want to finish above them we shouldn't be selling one of our better defensive players to them.

I know £5m plus with add ons seems attractive but after watching the game against Fulham I believe we have a chance of top 6 aslong as we don't strengthen our rivals.

If the reported bid is true, it could be argued that Fulham are strengthening our team by injecting 5m into the playing budget, in exchange for a player that we can probably replace for about a third of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here