Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk red blessing in disguise?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
So a young highly rated centre back who also scores is a blessing in disguise compared to an ageing slow centre back who is prone to mistakes.

Time will tell

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Massive loss. part of a solid and established centre half pairing and a threat from set pieces. A big ask of Greer to slot in and perform with so little recent game time under his belt

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
It will be tough to win next week without Dunk, but Greer is club captain and what a last game for him to send Brighton up. I can't see Greer playing in the top league next year so he will/should stand up and be counted when it matters. We have to be positive and we all knew a few weeks ago that we had to win at boro.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Don't get me wrong, I really rate Lewis as a centre back and after some shaky games earlier in the season he has been excellent at the back in some tough games. However, I always feel like in the big games and the big moments he is somewhat over exuberant and can make some extremely rash decisions. Expecting a flaming, but with Greer's experience feel like it could be a good thing to have our club captain back in the side.

I hate to say it but I kind of know what you mean. He is prone to the odd case of stupidity or 'a rush of blood' as we often coin it. If he did something next weekend that cost us promotion, all his hard work would be quickly forgotten by many on here and his development within our squad would surely be put into question. Gordon Greer has been a great servant to the club and with promotion looming this could well be his last match for us. What a send off it would be for him to lead us to the promised land. I have faith.

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Greer will play a blinder. His experience may be crucial. We WILL win.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I hate to say it but I kind of know what you mean. He is prone to the odd case of stupidity or 'a rush of blood' as we often coin it. If he did something next weekend that cost us promotion, all his hard work would be quickly forgotten by many on here and his development within our squad would surely be put into question. Gordon Greer has been a great servant to the club and with portion looming this could well be his last match for us. What a send off it would be for him to lead us to the promised land. I have faith.

Perhaps I phrased it badly as a blessing in disguise given that he have no recognized cover for the CB spot, but that is exactly what I mean. Overrunning the ball or making a slight error when passing can then lead to him unnecessarily lunging in and compounding the error tenfold. He is enthusiastic and obviously cares about the club but again today, diving into a challenge when on a yellow card is utterly ludicrous and he has previous for this.

Dunk has been inspirational for us this season but he has this element of rash misjudgement in his game. Hopefully us fans will keep that in perspective though and not give him any personal shite for what happened today. Greer will do fine, he's actually been unlucky to be out of the frame of late.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Dunk has been inspirational for us this season but he has this element of rash misjudgement in his game. Hopefully us fans will keep that in perspective though and not give him any personal shite for what happened today. Greer will do fine, he's actually been unlucky to be out of the frame of late.

Exactly this. Dunk has been brilliant this season.
Goldson and Greer away at Boro will be fine.

Maybe Dunk's booked an early holiday? (That's a joke, before I get a right kick-in.)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Don't get me wrong, I really rate Lewis as a centre back and after some shaky games earlier in the season he has been excellent at the back in some tough games. However, I always feel like in the big games and the big moments he is somewhat over exuberant and can make some extremely rash decisions. Expecting a flaming, but with Greer's experience feel like it could be a good thing to have our club captain back in the side.
I guess you weren't at Derby away for the play off game when we lost Greer injured (think it was him) in the first few minutes and had no cover on the bench. That worked well.

drofnud

Jun 30, 2014
Dunk has been magnificent this season. Doubt we would be where we are without him. However, he is prone to these rash tackles, remember the QPR tackle, two points lost when cruising. Today a first yellow following another of his casual mistakes. The second was just plain mad.If we had let the fella just go on and score it would have made no difference. We still have to win next week. Remember he was banned for the Boro home game 0-3. Will also be banned from Sheff Wed away game, against their height! Big ask of Greer. Bigger problem though is having to score, probably, two goals.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
No, just no. We've lost arguably our best centre back for our biggest game of the season. I really hope Greer is up to it, despite his lack of football.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think Greer gets worse with games. When he's come back in the past he's always performed.

He'll me MOM next week .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think Dunk can consider himself a little unlucky, the ref let a couple of other players get away with challenges just as bad without booking them.

It is in no way a blessing that our CB partnership, that has worked so well recently has been broken up.

Greer is older, slower and cannot be match fit

Are you serious? Dunk deserved to go as he did away at QPR, and was lucky to stay on the pitch away at Forest.
There may be a case for Christie also to have got an early bath, but that's got nothing to do with the decision on Dunk.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Have faith in Gordon.

gordon.JPG

gullable

Apr 30, 2016
I guess you weren't at Derby away for the play off game when we lost Greer injured (think it was him) in the first few minutes and had no cover on the bench. That worked well.

Boro exposed Dunk's absence at the Amex without Rhodes and Ramires in their lineup,we are weaker without him and they are better attacking wise with those two but if we can withstand the probable onslaught for the first twenty minutes or so and Greer grows into the game we can silence their crowd and put them on the backfoot especially if Friend, who is as important to them as Dunk is to us ,is not playing allowing Knockaert to get on the ball in advanced areas and cause them problems..

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Well at least the odds on us finishing the Boro game with 11 men on the pitch must have dropped now. If he weren't sent off this week he'd have been sent off next and today wasn't the must-win

lordlush1972

Aug 15, 2006
Newhaven
Greer has many caps for Scotland keeping some of the best forwards quite and goldson had Rhodes in his pocket against Blackburn

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here