Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking problem

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Eh? A bottle of wine a night is 5000 calories a week and probably a knackered liver.

Very true.

I crept up from a couple of glasses of red a day to a bottle a day without being aware of the damage it was doing. Last time I had my blood checked the doc noticed an increase in the gamma levels,and asked if I had increased my alcohol. That extra couple of glasses a day was impacting on my liver function.

So I started by having a couple of days a week off the wine,then started dropping whole weeks,and now it's maybe two bottles a month and nothing in-between.

My problem was buying a bottle with my morning paper,therefore always having a supply in the house. Stopping drinking was easy when I was determined to stop. I had the same experience with smoking years ago...you can only stop when you really want to.The time as to be right.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Stopping drinking was easy when I was determined to stop. I had the same experience with smoking years ago...you can only stop when you really want to.The time as to be right.

Too right. Gave up the fags after 25 years 4 months ago. I don't even have cravings any more. It was just time. Did the same with weed about ten years ago after smoking a joint a day for years. I used to drink every day (maybe ten days off a year) but in January I did the dryathlon and now I am drinking maybe 2-3 days a week. Feeling better for it too.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Good people of NSC,

I have a "Friend" who is a triffle worried about his drinking. "He" is so bored with his life that drinking every night has become the normal thing to do, a way of numbing the, well Normal.

This "Friend" is mid fourties, overweight, f***ed achillies tendon and smokes heavily.

Any advice?

Turn to god.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If you had two glasses of red wine with a meal every evening, you would be consuming around 40 units a week, but instead of causing your body damage you'll be getting health benefits.

Unfortunately this is just complete and utter guff. while there are health benefits to red wine, they are rapidly outweighed by the detrimental effects of alcohol. Sadly for us all the optimum amount of alcohol to drink is 1 unit of red wine a week - in other words barely enough to get a decent taste each day. Thanks science.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It depends whether you have withdrawal symptoms if you stop. If you have noticed anxiety attacks, dizziness, nausea when not drinking for long periods then things are out of control.

I was in a similar place mate. I was lucky enough to find a book called " the last glass" which is written by a French Doctor ( eminent cardiologist) who was also a hopeless alcoholic.

He read the medical studies into drugs for alcohol dependency and came across a study of cocaine addicts treated with a muscle relaxant called Baclofen. It had a remarkable effect in stopping withdrawal symptoms and maintaining abstinence.

He decided to self prescribe Baclofen and began with small doses but ramping up to large doses until his anxiety, shakes and dizziness etc. resolved. It is impossible to OD on the stuff.

I tried it (bought from the web...I know, I know) it works. Thats all I can say...a dose of 50 mg in the morning and 50 mg in the eve stopped me drinking dead. I was absolutely fine. I still have them and will take 30 mg if I know I am going to need to control my drinking socially.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Of course it's not my "Friend" hence the reason I put Friend in " "

Tried to give it up, can't. Asked for advice on here knowing there would be others.

I think that you have made a big step forward in admitting to the problem. As many others have said, now go and get proper help not from NSC (unless there are some professionals on here) your Doctor should be first stop.

Then you need to prioritise. I don't believe it's really possible to stop smoking & drinking at the same time. You could start by cutting down and taking some exercise, you will feel the benefits from this quite quickly,which is a good motivator.

Good luck.

(I stopped smoking in July last year and found this helpful: iCoach but each to their own)

I stopped smoking in July last year and found this very helpful but each to their own

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I feel for you. I've had problems with most addictions in the past having an addictive personality.

There really is a massive problem in this country with excessive drinking. I have a few members of my family who have a "problem". Last year, two people I knew drank themselves to death leaving behind loved-ones. They just couldn't stop. I know someone currently who is drinking 4 bottles of wine a day and is trying to stop.

I think it's an escape from something you don't like about life or yourself. The problem is you might not even be aware what that is.

You've admitted you have a problem. I would say the next step is weaning yourself off it. There are usually patterns of behaviour you associate with drinking so try and identify them and stop them one at a time.

Good luck.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I think that you have made a big step forward in admitting to the problem. As many others have said, now go and get proper help not from NSC (unless there are some professionals on here) your Doctor should be first stop.

Then you need to prioritise. I don't believe it's really possible to stop smoking & drinking at the same time. You could start by cutting down and taking some exercise, you will feel the benefits from this quite quickly,which is a good motivator.

Good luck.

(I stopped smoking in July last year and found this helpful: iCoach but each to their own)

I stopped smoking in July last year and found this very helpful but each to their own

Self disclosure time...I am a registered nurse, I Also spent time as an NHS alcohol community worker...does that qualify me a a pro? The Baclofen does provide a solution. It just ain't ever going to get approved for alcohol treatment as it is a hot potato for pharma. Why? Because its a generic drug and no one will sponsor a huge trial to prove efficacy for this indication because, the minute they did, everyone else could make the same claim for their generic Baclofen..ltheres just no money in it.

Fur Cough

Step 1 done then.

Doctors yesterday and told him how much I was drinking, also that I think it is becoming (or has become) a problem.
I'm not an alcoholic or alcohol dependent apparently (which is nice to know) as I go all day at work without thinking about a drink until I finish.
Liver function test booked, scary shit.
Just one pint last night as opposed to five, supplemented with two litres of Blueberry juice, heartburn central. I did open a can at home but after one swig poured it down the sink.

A question for anyone who is the same, it appears to me that it's the thought of not having a drink that scares me more than actually not having one (well only one pint) is this the same and how long will it last?

Regards

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
It's scary how easy it is to get in the habit of drinking every night. I would not say i have ever been a heavy drinker in the past but a few years ago i started buying a couple of bottles of wine to have in the house for if friends come round etc..... i then started to drink said bottles of wine over the course of the week..... this then morphed in to drinking a bottle of wine myself on a Fri and sat night and then from there i was drinking 5/6 bottles a week. I have limited myself to a couple of bottles a week again, but it hasn't been easy but i feel a lot better for it, i sleep a lot better now and losing weight and have a bit more cash.

I wish you good luck with cutting down...... it's hard but it's worth it.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Step 1 done then.

Regards

Would be interested to hear your starting gamma levels (GTT) and what they drop to on subsequent liver function tests.

I am due for a restest soon too,and will post mine. With so little alcohol in my system these days,if at all,I'm hoping for a zero readout but that's wishful thinking.anything below 50 is in the normal range I believe.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Step 1 done then.

Doctors yesterday and told him how much I was drinking, also that I think it is becoming (or has become) a problem.
I'm not an alcoholic or alcohol dependent apparently (which is nice to know) as I go all day at work without thinking about a drink until I finish.
Just one pint last night as opposed to five, supplemented with two litres of Blueberry juice, heartburn central. I did open a can at home but after one swig poured it down the sink.

A question for anyone who is the same, it appears to me that it's the thought of not having a drink that scares me more than actually not having one (well only one pint) is this the same and how long will it last?

Regards

Good man.

If its any consolation I graduated from beer to vodka and at peak was doing a bottle a night.

I was MUCH worse than you and my Liver Function is absolutely fine.

If you do get problems PM me mate.

nick.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Step 1 done then.

Regards

Well done. Will re-iterate my previous advice. Don't be scared about the "not having a drink" because you are making no promises (to yourself or others) regarding that. Just make a decision when you wake up as to whether or not you'll drink today. If that decision is No, that's fine, you get to change your mind tomorrow if you want. If the decision is Yes, then don't beat yourself up about it because tomorrow you may say No.

Never, ever think "I'm not drinking ever again" because that is to big a hurdle for anyone to face (and you don't need to face that, Doc said so!). A manageable target is to say "I'm not drinking today", because anyone can do that, it a piece of piss. Tomorrow is another day, worry about that when it comes.

Best of luck mate. Hope you get to a level where you are in control and happy (in that order of importance!).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Unfortunately this is just complete and utter guff. while there are health benefits to red wine, they are rapidly outweighed by the detrimental effects of alcohol. Sadly for us all the optimum amount of alcohol to drink is 1 unit of red wine a week - in other words barely enough to get a decent taste each day. Thanks science.

Yes, was hearing about this recently... it seems that a miniscule amount may have some health benefits, but they now reckon anything over half a small glass (!) a day will be detrimental.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
:smokin:if you listened to science you would drink filtered water and eat tofu and mung beans.........bollocks , it is better to burn out than fade away i believe.....!! but good luck to all of you who are trying to cut down.......:kiss:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Good start Furk well done .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have huge respect for you Fur Cough in addressing your problems and your demons. That takes a real Man. Good luck in reducing your alcohol intake to at least manageable levels.

Fur Cough

I have huge respect for you Fur Cough in addressing your problems and your demons. That takes a real Man. Good luck in reducing your alcohol intake to at least manageable levels.

Thank you Uncle, but if truth be told I feel about as far away from being a "real man" as is possible right now.

The fact I've got myself into this position in the first place makes me feel very vunerable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here