Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking on exterior concourse...

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Ive only just come around to posting this,

I was approached by a steward a few games back, who asked me to dispose of my beer can, as I was not allowed to drink outdside of the stadium. Is the exterior concourse a designated public place that does not permit alcohol? I dont know if there are rules and regs in place, but of course I knecked it and binned the can, but it got me thinking whether they have any grounding to do so.

Does anyone know?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Good question. When I came out of the west lower after the match I noticed loads of people with pints of beer outside and smoking fags.

When I have been in the North for beers after the game they make you keep your drinks inside.

Good question. When I came out of the west lower after the match I noticed loads of people with pints of beer outside and smoking fags.

When I have been in the North for beers after the game they make you keep your drinks inside.
This was certainly the case yesterday. I guess it comes down to how individual stewards apply the rules.

raz_18

Thomas Parrott
Jan 26, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
I remember earlier this season at Brum away, was walking to the ground with a can of beer, Police stopped me and was saying that your not allowed alcohol within a 100 yards or something from the ground

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
There was a bloke yesterday drinking out of a large bottle of cider BUT you could not see it as it was still in the bag. How do i know it was cider you ask ? He was fat and looked the type :p

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Drink
You are not allowed to bring alcohol in to a football match and it is also an offence to he drunk or under the influence of drugs inside the ground.
Just found this on the tinternet.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Drink
You are not allowed to bring alcohol in to a football match and it is also an offence to he drunk or under the influence of drugs inside the ground.
Just found this on the tinternet.

think you'll find he was taking it out from the ground ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Been able to take beer out of the stadium to drink in the train queue before. Stewards said it was OK, and walked past police who didn't say anything.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Been able to take beer out of the stadium to drink in the train queue before. Stewards said it was OK, and walked past police who didn't say anything.

seems from the thread there is no overall policy then.

i can only presume if youve purchased the beer on stadium property your entitled to walk around on stadium property with it,except in the seats.

ok basically i havnt got a clue what im talking about and i doubt the stewards really have a clue either

but it would be nice to think in the summer you could stand outside with your mates and have a chat and a beer in the sun

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
At donny i had a can of beer outside and the steward just said "finish it before you go in mate" (in my best yorkshire accent). As long as you arent causing trouble or look like you would cause trouble i think they could let it go.

Isn't it true that there isn't anywhere in brighton where it is illegal to consume alcohol in public? Could be that the area surrounding the amex is private property with public access?

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
As a pub landlord.........
Everywhere that now sells alcohol has a Premises License. This will clearly state what areas are licensed for the sale, and more importantly to the OP, the consumption of said booze. This is why when your local wants to put up a "smoking solution" as they now call it, they have to apply for a variation of the premises license to allow you to drink your pint there when having a fag.
I would be amazed if said license was to cover the outside concours, so I suspect the steward was correct.
Also the license will state if you can sell booze for consumption off the premises. Most pubs/bars do not have this facility or state you can sell bottles unopened, eg wine to consume when you get home.

Hope this helps

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In WSL my sons who smoke are always stopped from taking their beer outside while they have a smoke and have to leave it in the concourse. On one occasion in the North Stand they gave it to Ben who is 17 to hold and he was surrounded by stewards questioning him about drinking as he is only 17, as it happens he is totally anti alcohol and drinking.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
In WSL my sons who smoke are always stopped from taking their beer outside while they have a smoke and have to leave it in the concourse. On one occasion in the North Stand they gave it to Ben who is 17 to hold and he was surrounded by stewards questioning him about drinking as he is only 17, as it happens he is totally anti alcohol and drinking.

I didn't think readmitance was allowed. Do your sons reenter via the turnstiles

Sent from my field radio

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was meeting somebody outside WSL after the game and explain to steward as I had drink in hand. He said it was ok to drink outside. I asked if they could provide some tables & chairs for sunny evenings and let's have a continental feel to it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here