Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Drinking in seats

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone who has sat in the WSL during a beamback will know what drinking in sight of the game entails. ENDLESS herberts going back and forth getting rounds in, then the same ones going back and forth for a piss during the game. It makes the entire row like a live re-enactment of Wack-A-Mole, an absolute BALLACHE and intensely irritating when you're trying to watch the game.

Nobody threw their beers in the air mind - probably as its about a fiver+ a pint (and we are nearly always shit on beambacks). But even so, I am very happy with the arrangement of no alcohol in view of the pitch. I don't give a shit about it being an "archaic" law or whatever, its still infinitely preferable to the alternative.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Anyone who has sat in the WSL during a beamback will know what drinking in sight of the game entails. ENDLESS herberts going back and forth getting rounds in, then the same ones going back and forth for a piss during the game. It makes the entire row like a live re-enactment of Wack-A-Mole, an absolute BALLACHE and intensely irritating when you're trying to watch the game.

Nobody threw their beers in the air mind - probably as its about a fiver+ a pint (and we are nearly always shit on beambacks). But even so, I am very happy with the arrangement of no alcohol in view of the pitch. I don't give a shit about it being an "archaic" law or whatever, its still infinitely preferable to the alternative.

Totally agree. I don't think anyone wants the bars open during the game with people getting up every five minutes and interrupting the enjoyment of the game.

There is no reason however for not allowing you to sit with a pre-match pint in your seat or that half time pint you have just queued 15 minutes for. If I am watching rugby I can have a pint, if I am watching cricket I can have a pint, if I am watching non-league football I can have a pint, if I am watching a band I can have a pint, if I am at the theatre I can finish my interval drink. If however I am watching professional football I cannot. The law is outdated and discriminatory based purely on what event is going on in front of my eyes. The law should be changed.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Totally agree. I don't think anyone wants the bars open during the game with people getting up every five minutes and interrupting the enjoyment of the game.

There is no reason however for not allowing you to sit with a pre-match pint in your seat or that half time pint you have just queued 15 minutes for. If I am watching rugby I can have a pint, if I am watching cricket I can have a pint, if I am watching non-league football I can have a pint, if I am watching a band I can have a pint, if I am at the theatre I can finish my interval drink. If however I am watching professional football I cannot. The law is outdated and discriminatory based purely on what event is going on in front of my eyes. The law should be changed.

For the purpose of a balanced debate, I disagree. I like the law just as it is. Fair enough, there is a drinking culture at rugby. Beer runners and drinkers are a pain at the cricket, nobody cares at non--league football because hardly anybody is there, and people trying to drink beer at gigs and spilling it over your feet and trousers are as much of a pain as people filming the gigs on phones. It's a cracking law and long may it remain.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So, in the other examples you mentioned, what is the likelihood of those drinks going airborne?

If people want to drink, keep it to the concourse. If that means you miss some of the match that's your choice.

el punal

There's no sense in the alcohol ban with sight of the game laws anyway. In almost any other sport you can have a pint in your seat during the game and in many other countries whilst watching football.

Someone still thinks it's 1985

Crazy isn’t it. I’ve been to Twickers a few times to watch the rugger buggers and you can have your very own brewery by your seat. The difference, though, is that rugby has numerous breaks in play to allow you to waddle past fellow spectators to go to the bar or bogs without blocking someone’s view of the action. I don’t think that that would apply in football as meaningful breaks in play are few and far between.

My suggestion? Load up a four pint tray before kick off to see you through to halftime. Repeat process for second half. Ensure that plastic glasses have a lid to enable you to slash into said glass to avoid piss spillage.

There, sorted. No annoying other fans to keep getting up for top ups or constant visits to the bog and everyone is happy. :drink:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Very good point and not something I had given much thought too. Beer lobbing is more common now for some strange reason and would happen if we scored. Wouldn’t be funny if you he to work after the game or off out etc

ufo-foldable-raincoat-folding-umbrella-hat-umbrella-for-rain-free-size-for-kids-for-adults-500x500.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Leave the beer luzzing on the concourse by the 18-25 year olds, at least others can avoid them when they are enjoying themselves, I honestly don’t want to be covered in Fosters when I’m watching a match.

To be fair though, luzzing Fosters is far preferable to drinking the stuff

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Most football games in the States let you take your beers back to your seat (with holder). I liked it from the point of view of being treated as an adult, but would agree that supporters getting up / sitting down is a distraction although it was mainly limited to half time and if you wanted to drink nasty pissy Budweiser you could get it brought to your seat by the venders. Never saw any thrown about during goal celebrations.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
So, in the other examples you mentioned, what is the likelihood of those drinks going airborne?

If people want to drink, keep it to the concourse. If that means you miss some of the match that's your choice.

To be honest at my age, I just want a sit down :)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
At Glastonbury my mate always used to take a hydration pack and fill it with vodka. Genius idea because you weren't having to trek through the crowd for a drink or a piss every half hour. Not sure Barber would allow it.

2065.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My worry would be the shower of alcohol in the North Stand when Gross does his turn, crosses and Webster heads the winner against City!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There's no sense in the alcohol ban with sight of the game laws anyway. In almost any other sport you can have a pint in your seat during the game and in many other countries whilst watching football.

Someone still thinks it's 1985

So you genuinely didn't see any of the flying beer at the fan parks during the Euros? 1985 was not about chucking beer in the air, it was about drunks fighting whether that be inside or outside stadiums. The new problem will be everyone launching their beer in the air. Not because it's the spontaneous thing to do but because you see others doing it!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I never drink during a match or at half time. Too much faff. And possessing the bladder of an infant humming bird doesn’t help.
But the cricket..now that’s a different story. Pay the extra fiver for a seat at the pavilion and pop in and out to the bar and the bogs as much as you like and sit in the sun, watching the game, getting nicely sozzled. Heaven.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So you genuinely didn't see any of the flying beer at the fan parks during the Euros? 1985 was not about chucking beer in the air, it was about drunks fighting whether that be inside or outside stadiums. The new problem will be everyone launching their beer in the air. Not because it's the spontaneous thing to do but because you see others doing it!

That isn't the issue the OP is trying to solve. It makes perfect sense to allow people to take drinks from the concourse to the open air seating in the current climate and, yes, I'd rather have a bit of beer on my clothes than either catch Covid or to be pulled up for not socially distancing when I'm trying to have a pint with my mates.

You could avoid the fan park beer showers by drinking in more sedate pubs for the game or watching it at home. At the Amex this would translate to not going in the North Stand where I have, in any case, seen beer throwing on the concourse and where singing, standing and bundling on an important goal not only go on but are encouraged. I very much doubt there'd be beer showers in the East Upper.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes there's a specific rule for professional league football that covers drinking in sight of the pitch (which is why concourses have upstairs access to the seats and lounges have curtains).

Yes, correct. And for many years I thought it was a stupid and discriminatory ruling; as someone else said, it's not 1985 any more. Then I saw the pictures of the yobs trying to break into Wembley for the Euro finals, and even the (relatively) 'good-natured' beer showers that happen when England score and I thought "Yup, good rule. Keep it."

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
That isn't the issue the OP is trying to solve. It makes perfect sense to allow people to take drinks from the concourse to the open air seating in the current climate and, yes, I'd rather have a bit of beer on my clothes than either catch Covid or to be pulled up for not socially distancing when I'm trying to have a pint with my mates.

You could avoid the fan park beer showers by drinking in more sedate pubs for the game or watching it at home. At the Amex this would translate to not going in the North Stand where I have, in any case, seen beer throwing on the concourse and where singing, standing and bundling on an important goal not only go on but are encouraged. I very much doubt there'd be beer showers in the East Upper.

I think the summer and England fans put paid to us drinking in our seats at anytime soon unfortunately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here