Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Draw the Prophet Muhammad" competition goes wrong. Two dead.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How many Christians, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs or non believers are responsible for singling out those of other faiths and taking life on such a scale as we are seeing currently?

Off the top of my head, I believe the total deaths in Northern Ireland between 1970 and 2010 was about 3,500. That was a Christian one wasn't it ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"Draw the Prophet Muhammad" competition goes wrong.

Not really. Pretty sure twisted bitch organiser Pamela Geller is pretty chuffed with the end result.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Idiots, all of them.

If they had wanted to make a point, then they should have held a draw Jesus Christ, Buddha etc competition and the highlighted the enforced absence of Big Mo.

Agreed. There are better ways to make a point than provoking idiots.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
"Exercise 1, children"........'Define 'Freedom' in the context of a statistically secular, but nominally Christian society, which also cleaves to the notion of 'Multi-Culturism'

Finish that, then we can get the crayons out.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The conspiracy theory red flaggers will be marking out over this event for years to come.

NRA backed to validate conceal and carry laws.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
Was anyone else taken aback by this business?

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/myanmar/riot-07022014164236.html

968e527e-11ab-4c1a-8ebb-e2ea6d1740bb.jpegl

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Imagine you're a young boy growing up in a staunchly Muslim country such as Libya or Morocco. You might have limited access to TV and foreign media, you have a limited education and mostly you believe what you hear from others around you. Then think people will tell them (or they'll hear rumours) that in America they have contests where everyone comes to draw Mohammed because they think Muslims are evil. The little boy won't think 'ah, the actions of a few inbiciles', he'll probably think everyone in the west hates his type. This leads to harder things, such as when America drops bombs on a middle eastern country it's not such a great leap for the young boy (now a young man) to think America and the west are persecuting his people.

So at what stage of his pathway to adulthood will he encounter any sense of humanity, tolerance or equality, his religion foisted upon him by his parents and generations before that have offered him a world immersed around ancient mythical doctrines, it engenders intolerance, any amount of 'isms' and division.

But somehow you conclude that some badly drawn cartoons is where the problem lies.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Off the top of my head, I believe the total deaths in Northern Ireland between 1970 and 2010 was about 3,500. That was a Christian one wasn't it ???
No, it wasn't, you're pretty clueless if that's the limit of your understanding.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
seems a bit silly to give nut jobs excuses. it's not as if anyone NEEDS to make these drawings.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Is there not a case for respecting the sensitivities of a religious group?

There are a couple of people on NSC who I generally avoid taking issue with, as they usually talk sense.

Sorry LB, but in this case the answer to your question is, no.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hardly. Sounds like the event was organised to be racially offensive to Islam. I'm not suggesting violence is the answer but the group who organised this event need to take a long hard look at themselves. I would hope they'd be arrested for inciting racial hatred.

Do you actually realise what you are saying?

You are proposing that an alien religion (Islam has no historical place in North America) be given protection that is not available to the overwhelmingly dominant religion in that CONTINENT. I am no supporter of religion of any kind, but what you are saying is shocking. Why don't you offer to do the public relations for ISIS while you are at it?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Is there not a case for respecting the sensitivities of a religious group?

Possibly...but then what....Are you not in favour of free speech? Like all conflict it is the radical minorities that cause trouble.....from the Muslim murderers to the radical anti Muslims who organised this provocative competition....

However people drawing whatever should not be at risk of being murdered?

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
Some Islamic sects can and do depict the Prophet. They are hated by those (Sunni, and their like, I guess) who think its not OK.

Hate, hate hate.

Dec 29, 2011
That boy is going to be mislead regardless of what we do. We shouldn't have to change what we do just because we're worried about the propaganda in another country.

"We shouldn't have to change". You make it sound like the 'draw Mohammed contest' is a weekly event which easily offended Muslims are stopping us from doing! To be honest I haven't changed a thing and still I manage to not draw Mohammed. I must just be special.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Christianity has been attributed in the region of 40 million lives over the years so you need to be careful with such statements.

Not in the last year and what about the Sikhs, Hindus etc. I will not provide ay excuse for what is currently being perpetrated. Having operated in areas where ethnic cleansing and clan removal has taken place this is just another case of people/organisations using religion to further their own ends. I do not condone any religion or organisation carrying out he acts hat we are now seeing almost on a daily basis, hence the first sentence of my original reply. Tolerance is on a very short supply in our world, the original poster appeared o be making an excuse for such acts to be perpetrated, there are none to be made.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Islam would like to remove people's freedom to think, dress, speak, behave and follow any other faith. All the rewards we in the west have fought over 500 years to gain. For some reason many believe we should respect their frailties and bend over backwards to try and keep them pacified to prevent bloodshed. That is precisely the trap we are falling into, even Charlie Ebro now saying they won't print any more images of Muhammad. A victory for Islam.

Islam takes itself far too seriously. It needs its "Life of Brian" moment. Until that happens I don't see things improving here in the west.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"We shouldn't have to change". You make it sound like the 'draw Mohammed contest' is a weekly event which easily offended Muslims are stopping us from doing! To be honest I haven't changed a thing and still I manage to not draw Mohammed. I must just be special.
Not at all, I'm not referring just to the 'draw Mohammed' piss take. You said that an event, like the 'draw Mohammed' thing will be used to radicalise young boys - I don't disagree, but the only way to try and stop that is to have nothing ever offensive towards Muslims, and given that we love taking the piss out of each other and everything (like the life of Brian), then we would have to change substantially in order to prevent that.

And it wouldn't work anyway. If the west never did another thing to take the mick, do you really thing the extremists would stop? And don't you realise that they'd just make stuff up to help with the radicalisation? If they tell this young boy about the 'draw Mohammed' piss take, is he really going to research the issue and check it's true?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here