Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dragons' Den 2015 / Series 13

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I'm not sure I get the logic of accepting 33.3% from a telecoms expert and rejecting 25% from an experienced restaurateur.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure I get the logic of accepting 33.3% from a telecoms expert and rejecting 25% from an experienced restaurateur.

Jones has a good track record with a sauce based business, which is what they were offering. Restaurant business too risky for their liking.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Surprised no one mention the failed Tuk Tuk business that was in Brighton a few years ago, which would have given a clear indication of where this business is headed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You're right, Levi Roots is still kicking himself that he ever even thought of entering the den!.

And how much richer is the " Lucky " millionaire Dragon who bought a percentage of the company having not formulated a recipe or spent months banging on doors while reinvesting every little thing he earned in to trying to sell more and earn a reputation ?

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
And how much richer is the " Lucky " millionaire Dragon who bought a percentage of the company having not formulated a recipe or spent months banging on doors while reinvesting every little thing he earned in to trying to sell more and earn a reputation ?

Would you rather they just sit on/hoard their cash and not invest it anywhere? It's investment that drives growth in this economy, equity is a fair price for investment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Isn't that the nature of investment? If Levi Roots had the knowledge of how to market his product or the contacts to get his foot in the proverbial door then surely he might not have gone on the show. I'm not saying that I like all entrepreneurs but this is TV show, there are potential advantages for all sides.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Its not about the money.......my accountant says not to accept 25%+......I'm turning all your offers down.

What was the point of going on other than brand exposure

Its not about the money.......my accountant says not to accept 25%+......I'm turning all your offers down.

What was the point of going on other than brand exposure

When that woman with the cassis watches the programme she will be horrified.

The best dragon for her made a great offer - 40% equity but then she modified the offer; when the business doubles in turnover she will drop to 20%.

That means if the business isn't successful she would have given away 40% of not very much. If it is she will have got what she wanted from and ideal dragon for 20%, less than she said she would go to, her maximum was 25%.

Then she starts to try and get Peter Jones to agree to 25% when she has effectively already got an offer for 20% :facepalm:

Moral of the story? Don't listen to your accountant. Or, to be more precise, listen to your accountant but you make your own decision.

On another subject does anybody else get annoyed by the never-ending childish puns on each introduction? Food product = will this investmet opportunity be to Peter Jones' taste? That sort of thing.

Reminds me of NSC when ever anyone mentions fish!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
When that woman with the cassis watches the programme she will be horrified.

The best dragon for her made a great offer - 40% equity but then she modified the offer; when the business doubles in turnover she will drop to 20%.

That means if the business isn't successful she would have given away 40% of not very much. If it is she will have got what she wanted from and ideal dragon for 20%, less than she said she would go to, her maximum was 25%.

Then she starts to try and get Peter Jones to agree to 25% when she has effectively already got an offer for 20% :facepalm:

Moral of the story? Don't listen to your accountant. Or, to be more precise, listen to your accountant but you make your own decision.

On another subject does anybody else get annoyed by the never-ending childish puns on each introduction? Food product = will this investmet opportunity be to Peter Jones' taste? That sort of thing.

Reminds me of NSC when ever anyone mentions fish!
All depends on what dragon is preferred and who has the contacts in that field to really move it forward...That's why many go in hoping to get a certain dragon with the expertise in that specific business.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
This series has been pretty dreadful. The show has changed a lot, and now it's lost that spirit of dragons looking for good ideas and investing in something they think could be successful to just wanting to invest in a business that's already set up and profitable.

The new dragons are also pretty hopeless for the show. Almost every single pitch they will come up with a silly or petty reason not for being interested ("I think vegetables should be proud"). Sarah Williamgham obviously does not have anywhere near the capital or experience to actually make a meaningful contribution to the show, and Touker seems to only out in comedy offers.

Also hate the self importance of them. Deborah Meaden backed out of a deal a few weeks ago because the entrepreneur tried to negotiate the deal and Deborah claimed it showed they were hesitant and it made her uncomfortable. So basically she is saying that if you dare to try and negotiate with whatever her first odder might be you are unsuitable for investment.

All depends on what dragon is preferred and who has the contacts in that field to really move it forward...That's why many go in hoping to get a certain dragon with the expertise in that specific business.

Whatever-her-name is was clearly the preferred dragon. She owns a bunch of upmarket wine bars, just stocking the product in her wine bars would be probably enough to double the existing turnover and thereby triggering the 20% offer.

But she didn't listen to the offer properly, she had her accountants figure of maximum 25% in her mind and she only heard the 40% initial figure. Plenty of people miss out on good business deals because they don't listen properly. If she was unclear she should have said, not just said no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here