Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dragons' Den 2015 / Series 13

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think your previous comment about the last pitch of the show getting investment may well be right on the money.

As always, Meaden grabs them by the balls and squeezes. Metaphorically at least.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Another one playing the emotion card...is this Dragons Den or X Factor?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Another one playing the emotion card...is this Dragons Den or X Factor?

I like him though. He seems pretty sincere.

Good pitch. Winner.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sympathy case.

But it is one of those gym fad things that they'll easily be able to market, so I can see why they decided to go for it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That was like some sort of cliched comedy over-emotional character.

(Good luck to him though)

Hang on - why have they just shown someone getting an offer in the preview for next week?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just answered that question myself by switching BBC2 on :D

Glad Bannatyne's gone, the miserable old sod. Quite like Deborah Meaden, even though she rarely forks out any cash. Apart from just now, obviously :)
Have you seen Deborah Meaden's episode of Successville, the BBC3 comedy loosely based on those murder mystery board games.
She's unintentionally very funny because she's so serious and desperate to get it right.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I have a great idea that would do well on here.

Buy a really good item from Spain for 2mil, flog it 1yr later for 8mil . Pocket the cash.....boomshanka watch my business plummet

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This one doesn't know her numbers...fatal error.

It never ceases to amaze me how many appear on this show without a grasp of ' their numbers ' It makes you wonder if it is a put-up job like the Apprentice...i.e...forget some of the ' totally-in control ' boring types and lets have some good television with plenty of emotion or arrogance.
How can you pluck figures out of the air about a business? Its better to honest, with accurate figures and let the potential investor make their own mind up.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Hopefully that's the last I'll see of Piers Linney on my TV screen now then. Tighter than a badgers arse, zero charisma and an absolute bell end.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That one asking for £1m for 5% of his business was hilario. "It's an option". :lolol: :lolol:

Business valuation £20m, last year's turnover just £375k. :lolol: :lolol:

In fairness, I know the new dragon didn't like that, but I've always wondered why you'd go to dragon's den if you haven't already been to a venture capitalist. I'd have thought dragons den really was last chance saloon. And it doesn't replicate the real world either, in so far as if you have a really good idea, you might hawk it to several venture capitalists, but you wouldn't let competing investors actually KNOW what the others are offering. The show seems flawed in that sense.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
That one asking for £1m for 5% of his business was hilario. "It's an option". :lolol: :lolol:

Business valuation £20m, last year's turnover just £375k. :lolol: :lolol:

In fairness, I know the new dragon didn't like that, but I've always wondered why you'd go to dragon's den if you haven't already been to a venture capitalist. I'd have thought dragons den really was last chance saloon. And it doesn't replicate the real world either, in so far as if you have a really good idea, you might hawk it to several venture capitalists, but you wouldn't let competing investors actually KNOW what the others are offering. The show seems flawed in that sense.

To my mind, many go on the show to increase exposure and market their product. To name a few products that appeared on there, were rejected/ the dragons chose not to invest and they have gone from success to success after

Tangle teezer
Lings cars
Blooming high planters
Reggae Sauce (actually did Peter Jones invest in this?)
and those are the ones I can think of easily.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To my mind, many go on the show to increase exposure and market their product. To name a few products that appeared on there, were rejected/ the dragons chose not to invest and they have gone from success to success after

Tangle teezer
Lings cars
Blooming high planters
Reggae Sauce (actually did Peter Jones invest in this?)
and those are the ones I can think of easily.
And that ride-on suitcase for kids

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

The level of investment the entrepreneurs are typically looking for on DD is more suitable to that provided by Angels, rather than VCs. Most would do better approaching their local Angel Network - valuations would typically be higher too. There are a LOT of flaws in the DD format, but it does at least show the bare basics of what an entrepreneur is expected to be able to articulate in a pitch.

Many times an offer made on DD doesn't actually result in cash changing hands as the Dragon finds negative stuff out during the following due diligence process that wasn't mentioned during the pitch or was brushed aside.
[MENTION=3720]surrey jim[/MENTION] 's point about free advertising is a key advantage of DD. However, I get the feeling that many business owners on there actually need the money too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The level of investment the entrepreneurs are typically looking for on DD is more suitable to that provided by Angels, rather than VCs. Most would do better approaching their local Angel Network - valuations would typically be higher too. There are a LOT of flaws in the DD format, but it does at least show the bare basics of what an entrepreneur is expected to be able to articulate in a pitch.

Many times an offer made on DD doesn't actually result in cash changing hands as the Dragon finds negative stuff out during the following due diligence process that wasn't mentioned during the pitch or was brushed aside.
[MENTION=3720]surrey jim[/MENTION] 's point about free advertising is a key advantage of DD. However, I get the feeling that many business owners on there actually need the money too.

I think you're right, they would get much better deals elsewhere, but it's not just advertising, whenDuncan went in on the cable ties rapstrap that could be reused with no waste, it was one phone call to a string of massive suppliers, and that product was available from every technology retailer on the internet. Represents incredible value in what would be a massively difficult sell to suppliers without that endorsement. Same for the Reggae Sauce, Levi is struggling to get anyone to look at that, bit of branding work, phone call from Peter Jones to his supermarket contacts and it is nationwide at the drop of a hat. Doesn't work for everyone, but you can see the value of giving away 30 or even 50% of your business if your turnover skyrockets.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think you're right, they would get much better deals elsewhere, but it's not just advertising, whenDuncan went in on the cable ties rapstrap that could be reused with no waste, it was one phone call to a string of massive suppliers, and that product was available from every technology retailer on the internet. Represents incredible value in what would be a massively difficult sell to suppliers without that endorsement. Same for the Reggie Sauce, Levi is struggling to get anyone to look at that, bit of branding work, phone call from Peter Jones to his supermarket contacts and it is nationwide at the drop of a hat. Doesn't work for everyone, but you can see the value of giving away 30 or even 50% of your business if your turnover skyrockets.

Yep, those two are valid examples of where having a great, relevant contact can help enormously, and can even possibly justify a lower valuation. I'd change your "Doesn't work for everyone..." to "Doesn't work for very many....", but your basic point is bang on the money for those for whom it does work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here