Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Don't Drive Into Brighton

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was planning to take the kids down for a mooch on the pier and to attempt to get the shirts we couldn't get printed last Saturday done at Churchill Square on Monday. Hadn"t got as far as sorting parking yet but was planning to book something. Is that a stupid idea? It's a 2 hour drive as it is but train is four hours with 2/3 changes so not really an option.
Park in the marina, multi storey is free ASDA YOU'LL GET BOOKED. Bus from there into town.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It that part n parcel of any UK urban area these days? Even Lancing, Eastbourne and Worthing have emboldened teenage thugs shoplifting at will en masse, attacking security guards, stabbing innocents.

I remember in the 70's when if you went along the Lower Prom after 8pm you were more likely to get mugged than a latte. And don't mention the Race Hill razer gangs of the 40's.

But these days :wink:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Preston Street is also completely closed atm (at least it was a couple of nights ago when I had to pick up Jr.)
So glad I rarely have to drive into town these days - thankfully its only a couple of times a week at 11pm when its quiet, & the lad finishes his shift at Nanninellas.
We try to avoid Brighton like the plague if we are in the car now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I remember in the 70's when if you went along the Lower Prom after 8pm you were more likely to get mugged than a latte. And don't mention the Race Hill razer gangs of the 40's.

But these days :wink:

@Harry Wilson's tackle is always good on these things too.

The faux halcyon days of Brighton. In the 70's and 80's West Street was violent, the German student murdered, the fountains were turned off, gay-bashing, run down half empty shops eg Courts on the seafront, WW2 wasteland eg now Jubilee Street and where the Floral Market had been.

Like any city, a mixed bag then and now. I think Brighton & Hove is an amazing place to live.

Grumpy old men emigrate to Durrington, Langney or South Lancing.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

The faux halcyon days of Brighton. In the 70's and 80's West Street was violent, the German student murdered, the fountains were turned off, gay-bashing, run down half empty shops eg Courts on the seafront, WW2 wasteland eg now Jubilee Street and where the Floral Market had been.

Like any city, a mixed bag then and now. I think Brighton & Hove is an amazing place to live.

Grumpy old men emigrate move to Durrington, Langney or South Lancing.
Exactly. It isn't and never was a town for Grumpy old bastards, it's a town for groovy young hipsters like us 👍

(Although I will admit driving around Palace Pier, West Street, Preston Street area is a bit of a 'mare at the moment :wink:)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Grumpy old men emigrate move to Durrington, Langney or South Lancing.
Exactly.

As Keith Waterhouse said "Brighton is a town that always looks like it is helping the police with their inquiries". He didn't write that yesterday.

If you don't like Pride flags and drinking Brighton isn't the place for you. It's always had them and always will. Move to Salcombe (good luck affording it).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

…….. and Henfield ! 😂

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What choices do people have? Trains are flaky for consistency (as a season ticket holder) and buses suffer the same issues cars do.
We used to go to Eastbourne for shopping as Brighton was a nightmare. That was 20 years ago.
Seems nothing has changed.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Driving into Brighton is never a good idea. It's an old town, not designed for cars.

They should have built a multi-storey car park on that site opposite Preston Park, next to the railway line.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Friday night bus from Churchill Square at around 11.00 full of 15-17 year old tossers was a great joy in 1973. Three to five years later the main danger for me was teds at Portslade station. West Street was for the New Regent. We'd steer clear of the notorious Bosun. As for Whitehawk.....<sigh>

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here