Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Don't Drive Into Brighton

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I was planning to take the kids down for a mooch on the pier and to attempt to get the shirts we couldn't get printed last Saturday done at Churchill Square on Monday. Hadn"t got as far as sorting parking yet but was planning to book something. Is that a stupid idea? It's a 2 hour drive as it is but train is four hours with 2/3 changes so not really an option.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Moved out a couple of years ago after it being my home for sixty years and now have a fairly equal distance to Brighton, Worthing, Horsham and Haywards Heath. I never go to Brighton any more to do anything other than see the Albion. It’s a dogs mess of a place, travel of all sorts is a nightmare, expensive and a Council that can’t get the basics right.
The seafront fire has highlighted how close to the edge the whole infrastructure really is. I am now waiting for the seafront road to collapse into a great big sinkhole - it is a warren of old cellars and a river. I’d hate to think how fragile it must be. The tarting up of Western Road (another non priority job) has meant the collapse of drains and water services in upper North Street because of redirected heavy traffic. 😱

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Also, the southbound A23 South of the M23 to Bolney is closed from 2000 to 0600 every night until 25th August.
I just beat the cones at 8pm on Monday.
Screenshot_20230817_222309_Samsung Internet.jpg

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I have no idea of where you'll be coming from but couldn't you drive half way ish to a more handy train station with less changes en route?
Think that's the best call actually, cheers. I'm in West Berkshire, will look at going down to Portsmouth/Southampton maybe and ditching the car somewhere down there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What choices do people have? Trains are flaky for consistency (as a season ticket holder) and buses suffer the same issues cars do.
We went into Brighton Monday lunchtime on the bus, with no problems at all, returning home at 2.30. The 12s were running to Brighton station as normal.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Caught the bus in to Brighton yesterday for a first visit since I don't remember when. Normally drive, but haven't been this year at all. What a mess. The City is absolutely swamped with Pride tat. Flags, bunting, window stickers, product etc. Ironically, no pride in how the city looks. My bus home goes hourly, but I was at the bus stop from 4.30pm to 5.50pm as my 4.45pm bus didn't turn up. 13 year old drunk girls staggering and puking round the bus stop while I waited. I can't recommend my home town to anybody.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We went into Brighton Monday lunchtime on the bus, with no problems at all, returning home at 2.30. The 12s were running to Brighton station as normal.

The problems are eastbound into Brighton, from Hove.

My parents live your side in ‘The Deans’ and are completely unaffected by the Royal Albion traffic carnage when visiting the city centre.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Caught the bus in to Brighton yesterday for a first visit since I don't remember when. Normally drive, but haven't been this year at all. What a mess. The City is absolutely swamped with Pride tat. Flags, bunting, window stickers, product etc. Ironically, no pride in how the city looks. My bus home goes hourly, but I was at the bus stop from 4.30pm to 5.50pm as my 4.45pm bus didn't turn up. 13 year old drunk girls staggering and puking round the bus stop while I waited. I can't recommend my home town to anybody.

It that part n parcel of any UK urban area these days? Even Lancing, Eastbourne and Worthing have emboldened teenage thugs shoplifting at will en masse, attacking security guards, stabbing innocents.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The problems are eastbound into Brighton, from Hove.

My parents live your side in ‘The Deans’ and are completely unaffected by the Royal Albion traffic carnage when visiting the city centre.
I realise but someone said the 12s were turning round at the Sealife Centre.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Weren’t you young once then?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
why didn’t you walk? Would have been much quicker.
I collect goods from my store in Kings Road and deliver to the pier. Small van load. Funnily enough I considered getting the pier to drive their small truck to me on the cycle path, but seems they're not insured.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Day after the Royal Albion fire the traffic was absolute carnage, accident on the a27 at the junction with the a23 eastbound in the morning made it the perfect storm with the summer traffic.

I’ve got 5 vans on the road delivering car parts across the city. Before 10am its not so bad but after that it’s an entirely different story, hopefully the eastbound a259 will be open by the time the schools are back…..

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What strikes me is, why would anyone want to deliberately drive into central B ighton anyway? unless they had business there.

The city is a nightmare when it comes to parking, and expensive to boot.
You’re assuming they’re driving to Brighton then, what if you’re travelling Saltdean- South Portslade or onwards?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Think that's the best call actually, cheers. I'm in West Berkshire, will look at going down to Portsmouth/Southampton maybe and ditching the car somewhere down there.
Park in Hove opposite the town hall, then bus along to Churchill Sq, tap on tap off for payment. Or you could walk to Churchill Sq in 30 mins or as you are with the kids could do that via the seafront.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here