Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't blame the referee...

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I'm not defending his performance.

I'm debating how much his performance played into the final result, when put into context of the entire game, which includes what we did right, what we did wrong, and our mistakes etc. Showing that the game ending 1-1 wasn't solely the ref's fault, but that our players had something to do with it, too.

Yes, but pen 2-0 different game.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Whether we blame the Ref or not for the result, the fact remains that he was absolute TOILET today. Where the f*** do they get these people from? Shocking. :censored:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Here is a Past interview with Steve Cook..... today's Ref.

Steve Cook

Steve is in his third year of Refereeing on Football League and was promoted to the National List of assistant referees in 2005 some eight years after he started refereeing at 13 years of age. Was promoted to the National List of referees in 2007 and was one of PGMO’s nominees for Dallas Cup 2008. Honours to date include refereeing at the Island games and Surrey Senior Cup Final appointments. Hobbies include playing golf and watching other Sports.

How did you get introduced into refereeing?

My father was a referee and I saw him officiate at grounds where I knew I wasn't good enough to play at. I knew refereeing was the only way I could be involved in professional football of the highest level.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Receiving the letter informing me that I had been promoted to the National List of Referees.

What is the best game you have officiated in and why?

Its difficult to answer what the best game is. Each and every game has highlights and different challenges we have to face.

What are your aims as a National List Referee?

My aim is to never stop improving my game. Pierluigi Collina has said he never stopped learning, right up until his last match.

What skills do you think you need to be a referee?

Amongst the obvious of being fit, confident, have good knowledge of the game etc.- I feel you also have to be a good listener and be able to take advice from those around you.

Who has been the biggest influence in your career and why?

A select handful of people have influenced me greatly in my career to date. They know who they are.

In your opinion who is/was the best referee?

Pierluigi Collina. The man commanded and deserved respect

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He took clueless to a whole new level today, literally the worst refereeing performance I have EVER seen, where do they find these f***ing clowns?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Yes, Yes ,Yes , you can blame the bloody ref ! he bottled it. If he gives a penalty and sends off the defender 2-0 game over. Yes we did have chances but there are times when a decision costs a team the game. This was one of those occasions !

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes. But we had other opportunities to make it 2-0, as well. And failed to do so. Why not make an equal fuss about those moments?

We did have other opportunities and should have scored (and did in fairness but it was disallowed) but that is irrelevant. If he had got that decision right we would be 2 up and a man up. The sad thing is that Poyet will probably get a fine and possibly a touchline ban after today whereas the useless referee will be refereeing again next week.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Blame missed chances, blame the ref, blame Poyet for the joke of a substitution which effectively gave up our hopes of winning the game.

Whoever you blame, the table doesn't lie. We're in deep shit.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I have still no idea why Kuipers got a yellow card

I think he was booked for being injured. Correction, just looked at the BBC website which says it was for time wasting. If that is true then that is a joke as the physio then came on afterwards. Of all his bizarre decisions, I would say that and the ignored penalty were the worst.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here