Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't blame the referee...

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Our poor finishing cost us the win today. Murray, Elphick and Bennett all missed good chances. Whilst I think Forster shouldn't have spat the dummy before such an important game, I can't help thinking he would have put one of our numerous chances away.
As for their goal Kuipers has to take responsibility for slipping and failing to clear the ball, after we blocked the initial shot from the free kick the whole defence switched off.
Blaming the referee just hides the fact that we should have been 2 or 3 ahead by half time.
I think we are starting to sound desperate.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How can you not blame the officials when a 2nd goal for Murray was flagged offside by the lino when he clearly came vetween 2 players. The lino's view was exsactly the same as mine as we were in line and he made a mistake. Also the Dickenson penalty was a clear penalty or if not why wasnt he booked for diving and also why would he dive when he was that near and it was easier to score than miss.

It was the same lino who penalised Kuipers for their goal. When we have an indirect free kick given against us that close to the goal, why doesnt Kuipers line up his players with one on each post and then stand in front of the line so that he can see what is happening and then throw himself or charge the shot down,as it is obviously going to be touched for a player to shoot.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Yes we didnt take our chances, but even if we had won I still would have said that is quite possibly the most incompetant referee I have ever seen.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
According to Poyet their player who was in an offside position blocked him for their goal. Anyone see this?

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
We should of killed the game off in the first half, its because we can not do this that we are in the position we are in!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How can you not blame the officials when a 2nd goal for Murray was flagged offside by the lino when he clearly came vetween 2 players. The lino's view was exsactly the same as mine as we were in line and he made a mistake. Also the Dickenson penalty was a clear penalty or if not why wasnt he booked for diving and also why would he dive when he was that near and it was easier to score than miss.

According to the commentators, the scuttlebutt in the press room (who had the benefit of TV replays) was that it was offside.

Again, according to the radio, the ref said he didn't give the penalty because he didn't see it. How that is possible, I don't know. But if he didn't see it, he can't give a yellow for diving, either, can he?

You can not blame the officials because despite their mistakes, the difference between a win and a loss today was the goal we conceded. A goal, which came from our players mistakes.

The OP's point, one I agree with, is that there is so much that factors into a win or loss and to focus on the referee's error and ignore the mistakes and shortcomings of our team is ultimately harmful to the team, and makes us sound petty and naive to bigger problems (such as our failure to finish numerous chances, and our tendency to have at least one major defensive screw up per match)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Blaming the referee just hides the fact that we should have been 2 or 3 ahead by half time.

Wasting your time. Most fans don't like criticising their own players so if they can avoid it they will, and very few people defend refs, so he's an easy target. Even if he makes fewer mistakes than the players.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Wasting your time. Most fans don't like criticising their own players so if they can avoid it they will, and very few people defend refs, so he's an easy target. Even if he makes fewer mistakes than the players.

We are in the position we are in because we haven't been good enough this season. However, I am struggling to understand how you can defend the referee's peformance today.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Good reply. Poyet said Demetriou blocked Kuipers before they scored. Understand now?

Now I do. Thanks. I wasn't sure if you meant to type someone else's name, but type poyet because he was on your mind for some other reason. (Nothing implied there, I have typed someone else's name when thinking about another topic while replying to something else).

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Now I do. Thanks. I wasn't sure if you meant to type someone else's name, but type poyet because he was on your mind for some other reason. (Nothing implied there, I have typed someone else's name when thinking about another topic while replying to something else).

Poyet's always on my mind! :love:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Acker, were you sitting in Block E last week by any chance?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We are in the position we are in because we haven't been good enough this season. However, I am struggling to understand how you can defend the referee's peformance today.

I'm not defending his performance.

I'm debating how much his performance played into the final result, when put into context of the entire game, which includes what we did right, what we did wrong, and our mistakes etc. Showing that the game ending 1-1 wasn't solely the ref's fault, but that our players had something to do with it, too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here