[Politics] Donald Trump 2024

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
The US is classified in the World Democratic index as "Flawed Democracy".

Another Trump term is a serious threat not just to the US but to global security.
Are there any ”perfect democracies” anywhere?

Don’t you think the Biden administration is proving to be the serious threat to global security? The world was a lot more stable place 4 years ago than it is today.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Putin is praying every night for a Trump win
Another Trump term is a serious threat not just to the US but to global security.

Full disclosure - I don’t really care about Trump, or the next US President, I’m not traditionally conservative or liberal, but I have to ask about the above two posts.

1: Why would Putin be praying for a Trump win? Putin’s shown he will do what he wants, and he’s dealt with the consequences and pushing on. A weak US leader has partially enabled this - how would Trump help Putin further?

2: Trump a “Serious threat to global Security”? Comparing Trump’s term to Biden term, which period of time has endured the most global instability in terms of ‘Global Security’?
Considering the withdrawal of troops in Afghanistan, invasion of Ukraine and the Israel/Palestine war - it’s been a relatively unstable few years.

Please give me examples of why Putin is preying for a Trump win, and how Trump is a larger threat to global security compared to Biden.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Don’t you think the Biden administration is proving to be the serious threat to global security? The world was a lot more stable place 4 years ago than it is today.
So Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the escalation of war in the Middle East is down to Biden and co, then? Silly me, I thought it was Putin and Hamas/Israel (whichever 'side' you're on) to blame.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Many democracies have their flaws, but Trump is consumed with retribution against opponents seeking to weaponise the Department of Justice, he's a direct threat to the rule of law and democracy in the US

So you think any of the current flashpoints have been fanned by Biden?

By the way, how is the US economy performing under Biden? You seem to doing a lot better than us...

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
There are two choices, stand up for the rule of law or ignore it...

Putin is praying every night for a Trump win
So are right-wing leaders and dictators the world over. 🙁

Trump’s appeal in the Colorado case won’t be decided by SCOTUS before January 5th which is the deadline in Colorado for confirming their delegates so as long as Trump appeals to SCOTUS before 4th January, Trump will still be on the ticket in Colorado as a potential candidate (since the Colorado decision is suspended until SCOTUS rules.) They’d probably have to decide by the Primaries in March though.

In just one term, ‘Trump was able to appoint 33% of US supreme court justices and 30% of US appellate judges. This combination of conservative bias on the Supreme Ct and Trump’s legitimacy as a presidential candidate being adjudicated upon under the Constitution, means the 47th POTUS could be decided by SCOTUS one way or another.

Al Gore and Bush revisited but with far more dire consequences if the Court rules either way, not just to civil stability but for the credibility of the democratic institutions of US.

Meanwhile Trump and the Mega idiots will use this latest legal travail as another example of Trump being victimised by the ‘Swamp’ and by the Dems in carrying out a witch-hunt for political reasons.

Only in ‘America 🙄

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Utter horse shit.

Trump was and is and absolute disaster on international stage.

More interested in sucking up to despots in hope they'll massage his vanity, than work with real allies on strategic interest.

He vacated all international responsibility and today real enemies of the US have filled the vacuum.

Get your head out your arse pal, Trump is an absolute buffoon on the international stage and his national appeal is to those rednecks who are half a sandwich short of a picnic, without ability to question bullshit or engage in critical reasoning.

The greatest democracy is the world will be turned into a cult of personality despotism, if enough idiots democratically vote for that sociopathic lunatic (as they did Hitler too)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Won’t do him any good if he can’t get on half the ballots 👍
He can win without being on half the states ballots - that's how nuts their system is.

But, he will be on every ballot in every state, there is no way SCOTUS doesn't throw this ruling out (which only passed by 1 vote between 7 Democratic judges).

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
He can win without being on half the states ballots - that's how nuts their system is.

But, he will be on every ballot in every state, there is no way SCOTUS doesn't throw this ruling out (which only passed by 1 vote between 7 Democratic judges).
Firstly - It depends which States rule him ineligible to stand - if he is off the ballot on some key swing States, it will almost certainly effect what is going to be a very tight race.

Secondly - there were 7 judges on the Colorado SC - 4 ruling in favour of removing Trump from the Republican Primary ballot and 3 dissenting. (Not sure where you get the 6:1 result from?)

Thirdly - SCOTUS won’t ‘just throw the ruling out’ , that’s not how it works - it is Trump appealing to SCOTUS not the State of Colorado. Once Trump’s appeal is accepted, SCOTUS will have no choice but to deliberate on two issues of law not fact - 1) whether Trump’s Presidency gave him Presidential immunity from the insurrection charge (which is what he is claiming) and whether if it does not, (2) that bars him from standing for any public office under Art 3 of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. If SCOTUS rule that he is not barred on those grounds, it will go back to the Federal Court, who no doubt will try and find other grounds to remove him from the ticket. Also a heavily biased SCOTUS can simply drag out the appeal process until after the Primaries since Trump will remain on the ballot until they decide.

The only thing that can ‘get thrown out’ is Trump’s application to make an Appeal to the Supreme Court of the US.

The real shocker isn’t Trump being removed from a ballot but a State Supreme Court ruling not only that he had committed insurrection but the ban under the Constitution extends to Presidents.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if Republicans and Democrats had some better politicans, this wouldnt be an issue.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Firstly - It depends which States rule him ineligible to stand - if he is off the ballot on some key swing States, it will almost certainly effect what is going to be a very tight race.

Secondly - there were 7 judges on the Colorado SC - 4 ruling in favour of removing Trump from the Republican Primary ballot and 3 dissenting. (Not sure where you get the 6:1 result from?)

Thirdly - SCOTUS won’t ‘just throw the ruling out’ , that’s not how it works - it is Trump appealing to SCOTUS not the State of Colorado. Once Trump’s appeal is accepted, SCOTUS will have no choice but to deliberate on two issues of law not fact - 1) whether Trump’s Presidency gave him Presidential immunity from the insurrection charge (which is what he is claiming) and whether if it does not, (2) that bars him from standing for any public office under Art 3 of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. If SCOTUS rule that he is not barred on those grounds, it will go back to the Federal Court, who no doubt will try and find other grounds to remove him from the ticket. Also a heavily biased SCOTUS can simply drag out the appeal process until after the Primaries since Trump will remain on the ballot until they decide.

The only thing that can ‘get thrown out’ is Trump’s application to make an Appeal to the Supreme Court of the US.

The real shocker isn’t Trump being removed from a ballot but a State Supreme Court ruling not only that he had committed insurrection but the ban under the Constitution extends to Presidents.
The vote was 4:3 - that's what one vote in seven means. That means 3 Democrat judges sided by Trump, so at the Supreme Court, this will be kicked out pretty quickly by conservative judges.

It's quite clear this is a political ruling. He will be on the ballot in every state and that this will help him in the opinion polls.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I have a background in law and have never heard that expression applied to the decisions of the Supreme Court - that’s a new one to me - in any event SCOTUS will be ruling on several Constitutional issues that haven’t come before the Courts before so won’t be doing anything very ‘quickly’- Obviously a conservative bias on the Supreme Court is unlikely to uphold the decision of the State Supreme Court of Colorado if they apply a very conservative interpretation of the Constitution.

I can’t make out if you are pro trump/republican or pro dems from your comments but I suspect you support Trump.
If we're willy waving, I have an MA from a top 5 global university in US politics.

I support good politicians, so no one on show here.

This case is nonsense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we're willy waving, I have an MA from a top 5 global university in US politics.

I support good politicians, so no one on show here.

This case is nonsense.
Colorado have used section 3 of the 14th amendment as Zeberdi has said. There are many people on X saying Colorado is well within its rights.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Utter horse shit.

Trump was and is and absolute disaster on international stage.

More interested in sucking up to despots in hope they'll massage his vanity, than work with real allies on strategic interest.

He vacated all international responsibility and today real enemies of the US have filled the vacuum.

Get your head out your arse pal, Trump is an absolute buffoon on the international stage and his national appeal is to those rednecks who are half a sandwich short of a picnic, without ability to question bullshit or engage in critical reasoning.

The greatest democracy is the world will be turned into a cult of personality despotism, if enough idiots democratically vote for that sociopathic lunatic (as they did Hitler too)
First time round was worse than expected, a second time the moderates have left the scene it will be worse again.

We're talking about a total sociopath with fascist leanings...

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have a background in law and have never heard that expression applied to the decisions of the Supreme Court - that’s a new one to me
(which only passed by 1 vote between 7 Democratic judges).

Just for interest really https://middletonma.gov/303/The-Power-of-One-Vote

1703109128466.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports