Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Domino’s Pizza closes in Italy

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Because of cost.

But pizza from real Italians cost half the price of Dominos. I have a place just round the corner from me that sells a fully loaded large pizza for about 8 quid. Dominos would charge around 16 pounds.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Any pizza I have ever had in Italy bears no resemblance to any pizza I’ve ever had from any of the chains over here. Italian version every time!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Any pizza I have ever had in Italy bears no resemblance to any pizza I’ve ever had from any of the chains over here. Italian version every time!

Most of the big pizza chains over here are American owned or influenced. Naples is where pizza was invented, and always thin crust, none of this thick crust doughy nonense.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I can well believe this. Italians generally ignore chain restaurants that try to emulate their traditional foods and beverages.
I saw a documentary about coffee shops a few years ago. British fella went to Italy to see what they thought of chain coffee places.
Every single person laughed when he mentioned Starbucks and barely anyone had heard of Costa and some of the other brands.

I’m sure it will be no surprise to many that mostly they enjoyed their coffee in traditional, local, family run places with people they knew. Of course in Rome and other big cities people are going to work and are in a rush but still, nobody used the chains.

In the U.K. people tend to go to chains for pizza etc because “it’s easier with the kids”. I disagree. Go to a lovely, family run pizzeria and see the fuss they’ll make of your kids. You’ll have a couple of hours to yourself pretty much.

We are lucky where we are, near Brighton and Shoreham. Plenty of independent places to eat and drink. One might have to put up with the odd hipster barista but a small price to pay for decent produce.

Best pizza I ever had was in Zadar, Croatia. A lovely, fortified coastal town that was once part of Venice and still has a heavy Italian influence. Stunning food.

Had nice pizza in Rome too but was In hurry to drop off the hire car and get to the airport so we really rushed our meal. The restaurant owner looked at us like we were typical English barbarians, not taking our time to enjoy our meal. Oh well, nice food though.

When in Rome, do as the Romanians do.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Lots of gushing over Italians on this thread.

They definitely appreciate local businesses which is great but the problem I have with Italy is that they only do their own cuisine well. So hard to get decent food outside their own type and specific region.

Hence why London destroys any of the major Italian cities foodwise.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
But pizza from real Italians cost half the price of Dominos. I have a place just round the corner from me that sells a fully loaded large pizza for about 8 quid. Dominos would charge around 16 pounds.

Do them a favour and name them. The name check might help their business. I live near Hangleton so I might try it myself instead of the Dominoe's which is also near me. Do they do takeaway?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

They definitely appreciate local businesses which is great but the problem I have with Italy is that they only do their own cuisine well. So hard to get decent food outside their own type and specific region.

That’s the beauty of it!

Why would you go to Italy for a curry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Just London? Most decent sized towns and cities in the UK have a plethora of independent restaurants and cuisines to choose from which is brilliant - let's be honest Brighton and Hove is up there with the best too for an incredible range of independent places.

Do agree with Guiness Boy too though that part of the beauty of Italy is how each region has specific traditions which largely remain true

And as for domino's, pizza hut and all that crap... :sick:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Most of the big pizza chains over here are American owned or influenced. Naples is where pizza was invented, and always thin crust, none of this thick crust doughy nonense.

Exactly!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

It's hardly a surprise that the international food scene is more varied in London than whichever Italian city, is it? If you're there for a holiday, I don't really see why it's an issue anyway as the local food is so good.

However, with the rise of immigration, dining options are widening. I used to live in Cagliari and there were great restaurants offering food from Ethiopia, Bangladesh, the US, Senegal and Kazakhstan as well as numerous Chinese and Japanese places. That's just the ones that spring to mind and this is a city of 150,000 people.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Totally agree with the sentiments on here...authentic Italian every time for us, but my son loves a Dominos as well. When we were in Rome a few years ago a sales rep at my company suggested a restaurant just round the corner from the Trevi fountain in the back streets, which was a "must see". We were the only tourists in there amongst all the locals, and the food was just incredible. No sign of prawn cocktails, Hawaiian pizzas etc on the menu - & one of the mains was pigs trotters. You wont find that down at Pinocchios or Donatellos!

I've mentioned before that our neighbours are from the Naples area and own a small restaurant in town - and Nino does THE best pizza (as well as other home made Italian dishes, inc. cakes etc). The smell coming out of their home kitchen in the evenings as his wife bakes Nonnas Cake etc is divine. Our balcony is quite close to their lounge window, and weve had many a conversation about food / my love of Italy in general, across the gap over the years - and it always ends with him passing me some stuff to try that hes either made, or brought back from Italy. Honestly, our produce over here doesn't even come close to it. Amazing.

If anyone wants to go, his (very small) restaurant is "Pronto in Tavola" just off Western Road. They have gone back to Italy for a holiday until the end of the month, but when hes back in September the restaurant will be in full swing again. Try it, its good.

Last edited:

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I think Domino's thought they would follow in the footsteps of Starbucks, who somehow managed to convince a nation of (teenage) Italians that their inferior product was worth spending two or three times of what the local stuff would cost.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Dominos isn't pizza

I'm amazed they were that deluded the Italians would ever buy their product.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think Domino's thought they would follow in the footsteps of Starbucks, who somehow managed to convince a nation of (teenage) Italians that their inferior product was worth spending two or three times of what the local stuff would cost.

I guess the thing with Starbucks is that they're offering something different. I mean you're not going to get a pumpkin mocha chai latte in your average Italian bar. But added to that they can tempt teens in with the offer of comfy sofas to hang out on as opposed to the Italian tradition of being in and out in the time it takes to down an espresso. And, of course, kids are often a sucker for a bit of branding.

That's my rationale anyway as I doubt anyone's going there for the quality of the coffee (disclaimer: I don't think I've ever had a coffee from Starbucks so maybe it's great and I'm missing out).

Domino's was always destined to fail though due to the price and quality. Why pay whatever they charge when you can pick up an excellent pizza for 5 euros?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I guess the thing with Starbucks is that they're offering something different. I mean you're not going to get a pumpking mocha chai latte in your average Italian bar. But added to that they can tempt teens in with the offer of comfy sofas to hang out on as opposed to the Italian tradition of being in and out in the time it takes to down an espresso. And, of course, kids are offer a sucker for a bit of branding.

That's my rationale anyway as I doubt anyone's going there for the quality of the coffee (disclaimer: I don't think I've ever had a coffee from Starbucks so maybe it's great and I'm missing out).

Domino's was always destined to fail though due to the price and quality. Why pay whatever they charge when you can pick up an excellent pizza for 5 euros?

good assessment re Starbucks, its about a "lifestyle" image thing more than the actual drink. Dominos is simply takeaway and no value add. im only surprised they ever tried.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And all made for pence. The mark up on pizza is horrific.

600g bread flour - 27p
Tomato paste - 40p
Mozza x 2 - 90p
Yeast - 5p

4 Pizzas enough for family of 4, even with the oven 50p person tops..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here