Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Domino’s Pizza closes in Italy

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The last Domino’s Pizza in Italy has closed for good 🍕

Despite ambitious plans and major investment from the global chain, Italians continued to choose local restaurants over the American option

Sounds like the Italians are a sensible lot , they take their food seriously and don’t want to eat the processed muck that Domino's was serving .

Brighton has lots of great high quality independent pizza restaurants, why would anyone order from Domino’s, the McDonald’s of Pizza’s .

Rant over ..

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Despite ambitious plans and major investment from the global chain, Italians continued to choose local restaurants over the American option

Sounds like the Italians are a sensible lot , they take their food seriously and don’t want to eat the processed muck that Domino's was serving .

Brighton has lots of great high quality independent pizza restaurants, why would anyone order from Domino’s, the McDonald’s of Pizza’s .

Rant over ..

One of the few times I've ever agreed with you :)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Rant over ..

Had one once. It tasted like the box it came in. Nothing like real pizza. The best pizza I have eaten was actually in Switzerland.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Sadly I've just burned my Hawaiian pizza.

I probably should've cooked it at aloha temperature.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can well believe this. Italians generally ignore chain restaurants that try to emulate their traditional foods and beverages.
I saw a documentary about coffee shops a few years ago. British fella went to Italy to see what they thought of chain coffee places.
Every single person laughed when he mentioned Starbucks and barely anyone had heard of Costa and some of the other brands.

I’m sure it will be no surprise to many that mostly they enjoyed their coffee in traditional, local, family run places with people they knew. Of course in Rome and other big cities people are going to work and are in a rush but still, nobody used the chains.

In the U.K. people tend to go to chains for pizza etc because “it’s easier with the kids”. I disagree. Go to a lovely, family run pizzeria and see the fuss they’ll make of your kids. You’ll have a couple of hours to yourself pretty much.

We are lucky where we are, near Brighton and Shoreham. Plenty of independent places to eat and drink. One might have to put up with the odd hipster barista but a small price to pay for decent produce.

Best pizza I ever had was in Zadar, Croatia. A lovely, fortified coastal town that was once part of Venice and still has a heavy Italian influence. Stunning food.

Had nice pizza in Rome too but was In hurry to drop off the hire car and get to the airport so we really rushed our meal. The restaurant owner looked at us like we were typical English barbarians, not taking our time to enjoy our meal. Oh well, nice food though.

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I can well believe this. Italians generally ignore chain restaurants that try to emulate their traditional foods and beverages.
I saw a documentary about coffee shops a few years ago. British fella went to Italy to see what they thought of cabin coffee places.
Every single person laughed when he mentioned Starbucks and barely anyone had heard of Costa and some of the other brands.

I’m sure it will be no surprise to many that mostly they enjoyed their coffee in traditional, local, family run places with people they knew. Of course in Rome and other big cities people are going to work and are in a rush but still, nobody used the chains.

In the U.K. people tend to go to chains for pizza etc because “it’s easier with the kids”. I disagree. Go to a lovely, family run pizzeria and see the fuss they’ll make of your kids. You’ll have a couple of hours to yourself pretty much.

We are lucky where we are, near Brighton and Shoreham. Plenty of independent places to eat and drink. One might have to put up with the odd hipster barista but a small price to pay for decent produce.

Absolutely- we are very lucky , it’s not even just central Brighton or central Hove , there is lots of decent independent pizza options all over the city

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Absolutely- we are very lucky , it’s not even just central Brighton or central Hove , there is lots of decent independent pizza options all over the city

So true. We don’t have to resort to the chains with the choice we have. And usually cheaper too, especially with lunch time deals.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I get the point being made but I stand by the point that it’s cheaper to get dominos over most independents if you are feeding a family, especially the half decent ones. Not saying it’s right.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I get the point being made but I stand by the point that it’s cheaper to get dominos over most independents if you are feeding a family, especially the half decent ones. Not saying it’s right.

I’m surprised at that. I rarely use Domino’s because I have always found it far more expensive than independents. That’s on my own, with friends or with their families.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

One example off the top of my head is Fatto Mano , it’s a small independent, 3 branches across the city & just opened 2 branches in London I understand . Kids under 11 have 3 choices of pizza at £5 and it includes a small ice cream tub as well for their dessert .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
On a recent trip to Milan we did notice not only do the Italians go to the local pizza restaurant they also dress for the occasion, saying that most people in Milan are well dressed.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
On a recent trip to Milan we did notice not only do the Italians go to the local pizza restaurant they also dress for the occasion, saying that most people in Milan are well dressed.

I think Italians in general are well dressed .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here