Does what engine oil you use matter?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Just another example of motor manufacturers over-complicating matters, so you are forced to use their dealer's service departments, @ upward of £90 per hour :rant:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am VERY suspicious of the claims made by manufacturers who tell you it's ok to go up to 20k plus without changing the oil because it is long life. I use long life oil but never go over 10k without changing it. Maybe just old fashioned but given how people/ fleet owners maybe swayed into buying cars by the idea of not having to change their oil and filter for two years is probably a great selling point but most mechanics I speak to are not convinced either. The idea of the same oil in there for a couple of years and 20k plus miles, however good they say it is, doesn't convince me. Better prevention than cure imo and changing oil is not that expensive when compared to an engine rebuild.

Anyway back on topic, I don't think there is a problem doing one top up with incorrect spec oil but more than that may not be a good idea. Better the wrong oil than too little oil though. OP should buy the recommended oil or check with the garage what oil they put in there and buy the same for topping up.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Just another example of motor manufacturers over-complicating matters, so you are forced to use their dealer's service departments, @ upward of £90 per hour :rant:

Why would you be forced to use a main dealer ? There is very little that they do that my garage can't. We're a small independent garage but can do pretty much anything !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports