Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does what engine oil you use matter?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think it mainly relates to whether you have a diesel or petrol engine, as the oil is normally designed to suit the different characteristics of these plus very important to use the correct oil if you have a turbocharger running at very high revs and temperatures. I'm not sure if its a good idea to mix synthetic with traditional type oils either.

Plus I suspect there is a bit of a scam going on - I went to buy some engine oil last week and found the prices varied wildly with the Castrol version was £5 a litre (!) more than the manufacturers own pukka branded stuff (Honda).

I suppose any oil is better than none at all - I wonder how many punters even bother to check their oil / tyre pressures / water etc or just wait for the warning light to come on or worse?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it depends how old the car is, older ones are more tolerant, and i think petrol needs different charateristics to diesel. if it matches the spec, its probably OK. if it doesnt, then there will damage over the long term.

Dec 29, 2011
I think it mainly relates to whether you have a diesel or petrol engine, as the oil is normally designed to suit the different characteristics of these plus very important to use the correct oil if you have a turbocharger running at very high revs and temperatures. I'm not sure if its a good idea to mix synthetic with traditional type oils either.

Plus I suspect there is a bit of a scam going on - I went to buy some engine oil last week and found the prices varied wildly with the Castrol version was £5 a litre (!) more than the manufacturers own pukka branded stuff (Honda).

I suppose any oil is better than none at all - I wonder how many punters even bother to check their oil / tyre pressures / water etc or just wait for the warning light to come on or worse?

Engine oil is the most important thing needed for the combustion engine to operate properly and efficiently. Skimping out of cheaper oil will be detrimental in the long run. It's not like you need a lot of oil to keep it topped up so buying cheaper/more expensive stuff won't hurt the pocket that much either.

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
The spec matters a lot if you a high performance car or a car with a 'longlife' service schedule, then you might have to put the £5 a litre stuff in. By spec, I don't mean the SAE5W/30 type number, this is just a viscosity designation. The spec will define whether a base mineral oil, a semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil is required. A fully synthetic will keep it's viscosity and other properties for longer. There may be other requirements because there are additives in cheaper oils that will damage catalysts in a new car (not instantly but over a period of time). If its a common manufacturers spec like VW504 you can look for it on the can.

If unsure, check the handbook or you can use an online option like Car oil recommendations and motorbike oil recommendations.

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
From the point of view of being a fleet administrator i know that mazda warranties become invalid if you dont use their specific oil.

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Just to correct what a couple of people said, some oils are suitable for both diesel and petrol engines (e.g. VW507 spec), but it's not the general rule.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Judging by the number of punters I deal with, standing forlornly by their cars on the side of the M23/A23/A27 in the pissing rain with a smoking/steaming engine or ragged, punctured tyre, I'd say hardly any.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

fatfingers

Aug 18, 2004
hove
F.Y.I.

Ford focus zetec petrol?? ..... 5w30 fully synthetic oil required

Vauxhall Vectra petrol ..... 5w30 fully synthetic LONG LIFE OIL required

if using the oil for the vectra you should be fine to use it in the focus

general rule though is to always consult your handbook and use the recomended oil grade

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Think you'll be ok tbh :thumbsup:

F.Y.I.

Ford focus zetec petrol?? ..... 5w30 fully synthetic oil required

Vauxhall Vectra petrol ..... 5w30 fully synthetic LONG LIFE OIL required

if using the oil for the vectra you should be fine to use it in the focus

general rule though is to always consult your handbook and use the recomended oil grade

:kiss: thanks guys, reassuring and informative.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
The spec matters a lot if you a high performance car or a car with a 'longlife' service schedule, then you might have to put the £5 a litre stuff in. By spec, I don't mean the SAE5W/30 type number, this is just a viscosity designation. The spec will define whether a base mineral oil, a semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil is required. A fully synthetic will keep it's viscosity and other properties for longer. There may be other requirements because there are additives in cheaper oils that will damage catalysts in a new car (not instantly but over a period of time). If its a common manufacturers spec like VW504 you can look for it on the can.

If unsure, check the handbook or you can use an online option like Car oil recommendations and motorbike oil recommendations.

Exactly this...Don't ever use the wrong oil, the potential damage is huge especially in modern high performance engines. Think of the oil as the engines blood, you wouldn't want the wrong blood in you now would you?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Exactly this...Don't ever use the wrong oil, the potential damage is huge especially in modern high performance engines. Think of the oil as the engines blood, you wouldn't want the wrong blood in you now would you?

But everyone can take a small amount of O- (neg) blood, its the universal donor.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
My view is that any oil, provided it is for the correct fuel type engine, is better than no oil at all.

Not any more.

New Diesels fitted with a DPF need low SAPS oil as an example. Wrong oil can increase the soot load on a DPF and coupled with low mileage, stop-start type driving and the DPF can clog up requiring help to regenerate properly. Modern engines need the correct oils-put the wrong stuff in once and you'll probably have no problems. Probably best to put the correct oil in and make that the best you can afford too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here