Does god EXIST?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
A good discussion, but there seems to be a lot of confusion about what evolutionary theory actually theorises. There is nothing in evolutionary theory that would contradict the presense of a deity or contradict the possibility of God creating the universe.

Essentially science is struggling to come up with a competing theory to that, and they are currently left with multiverse theories that frankly require a lot more belief than Christianity. To me this marks a complete failing of science to answer that question, because the multiverse theory is actually non-scientific and cannot conform to scientific method as it is not falsifiable.

So we're left with non-scientific theory to try and answer what is surely the biggest question about our world. If the greatest scientific minds in the world cannot suggest a scientific alternative to God then you have to question those laymen who write off the concept of God so easily. I find it hard to understand how 'atheism' exists at all under these circumstances, other than through ignorance.

Personally I feel that the multiverse theory is completely hypothetical and unsubstantial, whilst the other is intriguing and can be complemented with the testimony of billions throughout time. The story of the early Christian church is particularly compelling and something clearly happened in the middle east at the time of Jesus' existence that convinced thousands to do crazy, sometimes incredible, and often fatal things in order to tell that story across the world.

Atheism exists through ignorance of what? An atheist doesn't necessarily have to subscribe to a multiverse theory. "Don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A good discussion, but there seems to be a lot of confusion about what evolutionary theory actually theorises. There is nothing in evolutionary theory that would contradict the presense of a deity or contradict the possibility of God creating the universe.

Essentially science is struggling to come up with a competing theory to that, and they are currently left with multiverse theories...

er what? multiverse is a hypothesis attempting to explain the consequences of quantum physics. you're right, it is hypothetical. it has nothing to do what so ever with evolution, which is a theory conerned with biology.

as for the conflict between evolution and "God" back to an earlier reply, it depends on how you define your god,, which no one seems to want to answer.

pea

Dec 28, 2011
North Laine
er what? multiverse is a hypothesis attempting to explain the consequences of quantum physics. you're right, it is hypothetical. it has nothing to do what so ever with evolution, which is a theory conerned with biology.

as for the conflict between evolution and "God" back to an earlier reply, it depends on how you define your god,, which no one seems to want to answer.

that was exactly my point, people seem to keep bringing up evolution in a discussion about 'does God exist'. The conversation about evolutionary theory has absolutely no bearing on the question original posed on page 1, post 1 but lots of posters seem to think that you can't have evolution and God ???

I don't think there is much, if any conflict between the two personally, but thats a different discussion entirely

Atheism exists through ignorance of what? An atheist doesn't necessarily have to subscribe to a multiverse theory. "Don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

I don't understand how you can be a convicted atheist if you don't have a proper alternative to the question about the origin of our universe, life and our race. The only circumstances I can see people taking that stance is through a rejection of certain facts, or ignorance of the details.

Last edited:

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
that was exactly my point, people seem to keep bringing up evolution in a discussion about 'does God exist'. The conversation about evolutionary theory has absolutely no bearing on the question original posed on page 1, post 1 but lots of posters seem to think that you can't have evolution and God ???

I don't think there is much, if any conflict between the two personally, but thats a different discussion entirely

I don't understand how you can be a convicted atheist if you don't have a proper alternative to the question about the origin of our universe, life and our race. The only circumstances I can see people taking that stance is through a rejection of certain facts, or ignorance of the details.

I don't understand why you think one needs to subscribe to one theory in order to be able to reject another. It's illogical.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Of course GOD/GODS exist, in the minds of many, since the leaders of those distant past years invented this tool to control their masses.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Or just being "wired" differently. From these discussions on here I have come to the conclusion that there are two completely different ways in which some people contemplate their existence and neither one can understand the other.

So we're left with non-scientific theory to try and answer what is surely the biggest question about our world. If the greatest scientific minds in the world cannot suggest a scientific alternative to God then you have to question those laymen who write off the concept of God so easily. I find it hard to understand how 'atheism' exists at all under these circumstances, other than through ignorance.

So what you are saying essentially is that because scientists haven't yet decoded the universe (and beyond) then we should revert to following the rehashed ramblings of a deluded man who may or may not have lived 2000 years ago? Yeah, makes complete sense.

Or, what we could do is keep searching, keep questioning, keep studying, stay open minded and see where it takes us. Just a thought.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Serious question for any of the believers.

South America is predominantly Catholic as it was colonized by the Spanish and Portugese. Would it have been Catholic if it had it been colonized by one of the Arabian countries? No, it would be Islamic. Had it been the Chinese it would be Taoist or Buddhist. You can see where this is going cant you. Religion is just adopted like the language, belief doesn’t enter into it.

This is what makes religion seem such nonsense to me. Once you apply any logic it disappears in a puff of smoke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports