Does god EXIST?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
Pascals wager.

And if god exists he will know you do not truely believe, in which case you are f'd anyway because the all loving all caring god knows you are lying and will sentence you to enternal torment anyway. And all because some woman I didn't know ate the fruit of a tree he created, knowing she would eat it as he is all knowing of course, and sentenced me to eternal torment unless I appologise for something I didn't do and over which I had no control. But he loves me and wants me to say sorry so he can forgive me. And people believe this shit.

Yep, but the way that people currently class a god is as all loving. If he punishes people for mistakes, surely he is not all loving. I don't really want to get into this bull but all the current religions and views of a 'god' can't seem right to me.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Whether or not God exists, believing on your death bed that there is something beyond rather than "knowing" there is nothing must be a better way to go.

Bit of a dodgy one that though! I mean what if you were praying to the wrong God - wouldn't he/she/it be a bit pissed off?

We've created a fair few God's down here!

There was life in the Precambrian, it began as simple mono-celular organism and evolved through the Precambrian until the late Precambrian we have rather complex creatures (Ediacara Fauna). It's quite simple scientific method proven with the aid of radiometric dating. Ergo more evidence of evolution.

But there were no bunnies were there? Were evolution to be false then there would be bunnies and I would admit evolution is untrue. There are none, it is true. And for those of you who doubt then look up the skink in Australia which is currently evolving into 2 different species, one which give birth to live young and one which lays eggs. Evolution before your very eyes should you chose to open them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You make the assumption that the designed can understand the designer. You can't assume human characteristics or human consciousness on the designer.

funny, 'cause creationists/ID believers make all sorts of assumptions about a creator/designer. that they are "intelligent" for one, or "design" for another.

Yep, but the way that people currently class a god is as all loving. If he punishes people for mistakes, surely he is not all loving. I don't really want to get into this bull but all the current religions and views of a 'god' can't seem right to me.

I was goping to ignore this thread but Kemal's spurious arguments drew me in I'm afraid.

Now I am going back to the olympic football. Come on Canada.......

Bollocks, just as I posted that the us scored :-(

Last edited:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Special pleading. You make the assumption we can not and ascribe that to your designer. The question remains. If the designer requires no first cause then neither does the universe and you should stop using that argument.

So let's say you are God, wandering around the existence being omnipotent etc etc and you create a basic form of being with low consciousness. Your assumption is that the created being can understand it's creator. Really? Is that what your saying?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I'd like to think that eventually religion will fade away. But, probably the harsh reality is that most people will prefer a warm fantasy (I have a powerful friend who loves me and I will live forever) to a cold reality (the universe is meaningless and when you die it's over). I'd rather have the nasty truth than an attractive lie.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Not all the current views of God believe he punishes mistakes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So let's say you are God, wandering around the existence being omnipotent etc etc and you create a basic form of being with low consciousness. Your assumption is that the created being can understand it's creator. Really? Is that what your saying?

i really dont think he is. however, one should point out that such assumptions are the basis of the ontological argument in favor of god. and again, assuming to know the intent of the creator underlies the creationist/IS argument too.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
You make the assumption that the designed can understand the designer. You can't assume human characteristics or human consciousness on the designer.

To be fair, doesn't the whole of Christianity, amongst most other religions, do just this?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
negative existence.....the absolute......essense of all life force......

......killing the mind and opening ones essense.....the releasing of stories, perceptions, and emotional baggage......the dissolving of duality....and the self.....

....each of the above can be contemplated and "played" with during long solitudes in nature...............and some answers can rise up from within........this is the only way to get closer personally to what some may call "god."

dogma is the opposite way, as are priests.....but each religeon contains some golden nuggets deep within.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I care cos I think it's f***ing rude and disrespectful to beliefs people are entitled to have, and neither side in this debate knows the answer any better than the other. I'm sorry that in life you have come across preachy types who have tried to make you feel wrong, but I am not one of them - and there isn't a single person doing that on here, as I predicted. You don't KNOW that there isn't a God, so giving it all that "fairy stories" shit towards people who choose to believe there might be (who on here have said nothing to you about your beliefs) is just narrow minded.

Did I say you cannot believe in what ever you want to believe in? Is my belief that what you believe in is nothing more than Fairy Stories (actually that was pinched from Greg Lake) less allowed because you think it is rude?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There is no God, religion is just another cult and another reason for people to hate each other, that sounds profound in some way, wasn't meant to be ;-]

I prefer to think that religion is much more a reason for people to love each other, and to love people of other faiths as well.

And there is also no reason why one can't believe in God and in evolution. Very few christians, I would hazard a guess, believe in the "God made the world in 6 days and then had a day off stuff". In fact, having been trained as a preacher, it was made clear that one was not expected to believe it, it is a "story".

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
if-you-could-reason-wth-religious-people-there-would-be-no-religious-people-house-500x375.jpg

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I respect that this belief is very much down to each individual.

From my perspective I've seen enough graphic life and death at close quarters in this world to suggest to me that if God exists then why do the innocent get randomly punished for no reason. I have a big question in my mind why if God stood for 'good' he/she would allow such widespread suffering to exist? I haven't seen any persuasive case to answer this. Secondly I tend towards a scientific rather than creationist view. But if some find comfort in their beliefs then I respect that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I prefer to think that religion is much more a reason for people to love each other, and to love people of other faiths as well/QUOTE]

Well that hasn't exactly happened has it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports