Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does god EXIST?

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I prefer to think that religion is much more a reason for people to love each other, and to love people of other faiths as well.

And there is also no reason why one can't believe in God and in evolution. Very few christians, I would hazard a guess, believe in the "God made the world in 6 days and then had a day off stuff". In fact, having been trained as a preacher, it was made clear that one was not expected to believe it, it is a "story".

You can do this without religion. A good person will do the right thing without the promise of heaven or the threat of hell. Religion doesn't hold the monopoly on kindness or morals.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Personally, I cannot imagine or understand how a person can genuinely believe that God or another all-powerful ethereal being can exist, let alone live a life around this belief.

Several of the main religions claim that their God is the only true God. So surely only one - if any - can be correct? Who is to say which one is more or less feasible than the rest? I've studied science enough to completely convince me that there is no God and that we are a complete and utter (yet brilliant) coincidence, existing for only a blip in the grand scheme of the universe, a notion I am comfortable with.
Does this make be blind? Arrogant? Closed-minded?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I prefer to think that religion is much more a reason for people to love each other, and to love people of other faiths as well.

And there is also no reason why one can't believe in God and in evolution. Very few christians, I would hazard a guess, believe in the "God made the world in 6 days and then had a day off stuff". In fact, having been trained as a preacher, it was made clear that one was not expected to believe it, it is a "story".

Like they love each other in the Middle East, or Northern Island. Most interactions involving differing religions don't tend to involve very much love as far as I can see!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's ABSURD

You have to be syllologically aware. The first thing that occurs is Exist does God.

It can be proven that God does Exist, logically.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I reckon if there wasn't a God someone would have to invent one, and they probably did.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
There can be unknowns without having to make stuff up, that's why science tries to find answers logically. Religion is based on fear and a lack of knowledge - not a good recipe.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Imagine a place with no Police force or justice system, most people are illiterate and uneducated. How would you keep them from eating foods that might make them ill, even though they taste great? Or stop them from taking from each other by force and creating feuds? Or any other activity that can destroy communities or cause health problems?

Convince them that some all seeing, all powerful, vengeful bastard insists that you behave or else you will suffer for eternity.

Or tell them Father Christmas won't bring them any presents.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Personally, I cannot imagine or understand how a person can genuinely believe that God or another all-powerful ethereal being can exist, let alone live a life around this belief.

Several of the main religions claim that their God is the only true God. So surely only one - if any - can be correct? Who is to say which one is more or less feasible than the rest? I've studied science enough to completely convince me that there is no God and that we are a complete and utter (yet brilliant) coincidence, existing for only a blip in the grand scheme of the universe, a notion I am comfortable with.
Does this make be blind? Arrogant? Closed-minded?

Sane.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Imagine a place with no Police force or justice system, most people are illiterate and uneducated. How would you keep them from eating foods that might make them ill, even though they taste great? Or stop them from taking from each other by force and creating feuds? Or any other activity that can destroy communities or cause health problems?

Convince them that some all seeing, all powerful, vengeful bastard insists that you behave or else you will suffer for eternity.

Or tell them Father Christmas won't bring them any presents.

Or you let them eat the pretty berries, and fight and kill each other for the right to exist.

It seems to me that religion, if incepted as stated for the above reasons stated by baldseagull, has been kicking against evolution from the begining.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm not religious but I'm thinking that god does exist-who else could have led that Palace tit Seaside to NSC to keep us amused until the season starts?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
GOD spelt backwards reads DOG!
Coincidence?

dog+dressed+like+batman.jpg

Did anyone else think Batman was rubbish?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I prefer to think that religion is much more a reason for people to love each other, and to love people of other faiths as well/QUOTE]

Well that hasn't exactly happened has it?

Actually it happens all over the place that people from different faiths can work together for the common good.
Someone else on here quoted Northern Ireland. While ostensibly it was all about Protestant against Catholic, I think most people would accept that it was far, far deeper than that and that many many religious people on both sides abhorred the violence.

And in the Middle East I think it is the intransigent views of a comparatively small number of people that causes all the trouble, particularly around israel/palestine - the situation not being helped by American presidential candidates making ridiculous speeches while seeking the jewish vote in their homeland. Most people in Israel want a peaceful settlement and would actually work for it. Look at daniel Barenboim and what he was done with music and building an orchestra where young Israelis and Palestinians can play together.

Obviously there are extremists and terrorists, but the vast majority of people of faith are good people who care about and for their fellow beings irrespective of what those others believe. In this country, most people would accept that our social fabric would fall apart if it wasn't for volunteers and volunteering, and there are statistics that show that the vast majority of people who undertake some sort of voluntary work in this country are people of faith.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Or you let them eat the pretty berries, and fight and kill each other for the right to exist.

It seems to me that religion, if incepted as stated for the above reasons stated by baldseagull, has been kicking against evolution from the begining.

The greatest minds on evolution think that religion is a side-effect of something else that's useful for us a species; quite possibly the evolved behaviour to unquestionably accept what your parents tell you (so you don't eat the berries), which can be then result in adults blindly accepting what priests tell you

pea

Dec 28, 2011
North Laine
Because there aren't many others. You could probably count all the credible theories of existence on one hand - all of which are unfalsifiable and therefore all possibilities.

A good discussion, but there seems to be a lot of confusion about what evolutionary theory actually theorises. There is nothing in evolutionary theory that would contradict the presense of a deity or contradict the possibility of God creating the universe.

Essentially science is struggling to come up with a competing theory to that, and they are currently left with multiverse theories that frankly require a lot more belief than Christianity. To me this marks a complete failing of science to answer that question, because the multiverse theory is actually non-scientific and cannot conform to scientific method as it is not falsifiable.

So we're left with non-scientific theory to try and answer what is surely the biggest question about our world. If the greatest scientific minds in the world cannot suggest a scientific alternative to God then you have to question those laymen who write off the concept of God so easily. I find it hard to understand how 'atheism' exists at all under these circumstances, other than through ignorance.

Personally I feel that the multiverse theory is completely hypothetical and unsubstantial, whilst the other is intriguing and can be complemented with the testimony of billions throughout time. The story of the early Christian church is particularly compelling and something clearly happened in the middle east at the time of Jesus' existence that convinced thousands to do crazy, sometimes incredible, and often fatal things in order to tell that story across the world.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Wasps
Piles
Croydon

There is no way a benevolent creator would have made any of those, therefore, by a process of deduction, there is zero evidence to suggest he exists.

But then there is

TITS
FANNY
THE ALBION

To balance it out so its INCONCLUSIVE

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A good discussion, but there seems to be a lot of confusion about what evolutionary theory actually theorises. There is nothing in evolutionary theory that would contradict the presense of a deity or contradict the possibility of God creating the universe.

Essentially science is struggling to come up with a competing theory to that, and they are currently left with multiverse theories that frankly require a lot more belief than Christianity. To me this marks a complete failing of science to answer that question, because the multiverse theory is actually non-scientific and cannot conform to scientific method as it is not falsifiable.

So we're left with non-scientific theory to try and answer what is surely the biggest question about our world. If the greatest scientific minds in the world cannot suggest a scientific alternative to God then you have to question those laymen who write off the concept of God so easily. I find it hard to understand how 'atheism' exists at all under these circumstances, other than through ignorance.

Personally I feel that the multiverse theory is completely hypothetical and unsubstantial, whilst the other is intriguing and can be complemented with the testimony of billions throughout time. The story of the early Christian church is particularly compelling and something clearly happened in the middle east at the time of Jesus' existence that convinced thousands to do crazy, sometimes incredible, and often fatal things in order to tell that story across the world.

What a load of absolute rubbish - and that's saying something on NSC.

Last edited:

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
God, yeah u think it's true, but gods got a different name and I'm sure god has to be a woman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here