Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anybody remember Stavros?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Yes it was Tony McCleod who died in the last year, my favourite memory was coming back from Southampton on the Seagulls Special after we lost 5-1 and Mad Chris Tilly decided to cheer us up by setting fire to his nose followed by pissing in his cap topping it when he dropped his trousers.
Stavros McCleod came along had a massive strop and locked Chris in the guards van cage for the rest of the journey home.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I saw Harry Enfield at Chessington on Saturday, he was there with his family.

It was funny listening him talk to his young daughter/grandaughter, i half expected some sort of punchline or a 'its only me' to come from him.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Didn't remember him as Stavros but know the bloke you mean. My old man always referred to him as 'Rolling Stock' due to the combination of his BR background and his ample girth.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Ernest said:
Yes it was Tony McCleod who died in the last year,

Blimey I did'nt know he'd died. I'll pass that sad news on to my Dad & Brother who both worked with him.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I remember him well. First game of the season late 70's. Wrexham away, fiver return. Ambushed by Wolves fans as we waited outside Wolverhampton station on the way home. He wasn't happy!
I remeber Teddy Maybank f***ing around on a kids skateboard at Brighton Station as we were waiting to board & Mullery giving him an almighty bollocking.

Seagull Specials, happy days. RIP Stavros. :clap:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yeah, I remember him well. Although I didn't know his name.
Used to try and stop us shouting SEEEAAAAGGGGUUUUUULLLLSSSS as we went though various stations slowly and stop us sticking things out the windows (like our backsides)

Seagull Specials - thoses were the days.

RIP stavros

- oh and smudge - the wrexham game - was that the 0-0 - we were on the side of the pitch - really hot day - left sussex and it was freezing so took jacket/jumper and nearly f***ing boiled to death!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
Used to try and stop us shouting SEEEAAAAGGGGUUUUUULLLLSSSS as we went though various stations slowly and stop us sticking things out the windows (like our backsides)

RIP stavros

- oh and smudge - the wrexham game - was that the 0-0 - we were on the side of the pitch - really hot day - left sussex and it was freezing so took jacket/jumper and nearly f***ing boiled to death!

one of the most boring games I've ever been to. Went by coach and it took about 10 hours to get there!

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
Ernest said:
Yes it was Tony McCleod who died in the last year, my favourite memory was coming back from Southampton on the Seagulls Special after we lost 5-1 and Mad Chris Tilly decided to cheer us up by setting fire to his nose followed by pissing in his cap topping it when he dropped his trousers.
Stavros McCleod came along had a massive strop and locked Chris in the guards van cage for the rest of the journey home.

I remember the Seagulls Special being bricked as we left Sheffield and 1 carriage had to be emptied due to a number of windows being smashed.

Chris Tilly went through it singing ' I love the sound of breaking glass ' which Stavros did not find amusing and proceeded to ban him from future specials.

RIP Stavros

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:

RIP stavros

Yep, 0-0 & it was so freaking hot! I went the season before when we were behind the goal in that little shed before the new stand was built. 0-0 as well!!

jazzy

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I remember him too. RIP.

Remember being told to pull all the blinds down as we pulled out of the (away) station - to stop the glass hitting us if/when the bricks and stones were chucked at the windows.

I also remember a trip to Wrexham (I'm sure it ended 0-0) when we were delayed due to someone jumping in front of one of the trains in front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here