Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anybody remember Stavros?

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
He was this huge bloke who seemed to run the official Supporters Club at away games in the late seventies - always there and a welcome face on foreign soil - nobody would argue with him, they'd just bounce off him.

Was just wondering who he was exactly, whether he was there in some official capacity (as he certainly seemed to be) and what became of him.

I imagine his nickname had something to do with the character in the TV series Kojak (Telly Savalas), which was very popular in the seventies.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
I've just been down the Ars and they lost to bloody Luton in Coca Cola Cup ( or whatever it used t be back then ) final, that bloody Steve Foster, who's he think he is!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
ac gull said:
I've just been down the Ars and they lost to bloody Luton in Coca Cola Cup ( or whatever it used t be back then ) final, that bloody Steve Foster, who's he think he is!

up the ars, up the ars innit

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
chez said:
ello everybody peeps!!

A few years before Harry's time.

Just me then - can't believe it; this bloke was a legend, who commanded instant respect from the travelling BHA suppporters, which admittedley weren't such a feature of the club in those days.

I particularly remember Stavros telling us all to all behave ourselves at Oldham on a Tuesday night, when they unusually let us into their supporters club bar to dry out, having spent all afternoon mooching around the town in the wet - no all day pub opening in those days, altho' we did unsuccessfully try to get this kid to get his Mum to open up her pub at about half five.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stavros the original Saturday Night Live by Harry Enfield :bowdown: :bowdown:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
wasn't he the main steward on the special away match trains?

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
timbha said:
wasn't he the main steward on the special away match trains?

Yes, he may well have been and that's really what I'm trying to establish (the Oldham game was on the train incidentlly), but I didn't realise that so few people on here would be able to relate to him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember him. Always used to have a navy blue mixed fibre v-neck sweater holding in that girth.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Ah Stavros!

He was a railway guard, and a steward at the Goldstone. Always on the Seagull Specials, telling us not to hang scarves out of the window cos the driver may think its a signal:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: .

He's name was Tony, cant remember the surname.

Ernest will enlighten us soon.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Remember him well on the away day trains.

York away £4 (or was it £4.50?) - bargain. No booze though.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Stavros, wow that's a blast from the past but what a legend :clap2: :clap2:

I always assumed he was the 'official' head steward of the Seagull Specials but now I look back not sure if he actually was.

I'm sure Ernest will be able to tell us who he really was and what happened to him.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think he was a British Railways employee who supported the Albion.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Its coming back to me slowly.

Tony MCloud? Guard at West Worthing

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
KNC said:
Its coming back to me slowly.

Tony MCloud? Guard at West Worthing

I think your right there. I remember him from the Albion & my early days on the Railway.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bromley shrimp said:
He was this huge bloke who seemed to run the official Supporters Club at away games in the late seventies - always there and a welcome face on foreign soil - nobody would argue with him, they'd just bounce off him.

Was just wondering who he was exactly, whether he was there in some official capacity (as he certainly seemed to be) and what became of him.

I imagine his nickname had something to do with the character in the TV series Kojak (Telly Savalas), which was very popular in the seventies.
Yes! An absolute LEGEND. I did an article for 'Keep The Faith' about the Seagull Specials in which I waxed lyrical about Stavros and his legendary stewarding skills.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Her inside the doors says she gonna late me take her up the arse this weekend,

Cos theys playin the queens park range innit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here