• No

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Previously

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah. Used to it, but it takes me three or four days to get back into normal sleep patterns, and I nearly always struggle to sleep on my last day off before returning to work for an early shift. At one stage they changed our shifts so we only had two days off between nights and earlies. The first day off was mainly sleeping anyway, after finishing at 7am, so you wouldn't sleep much that night, and would effectively have one day off (after a 7 day shift) before going back to work. I can remember going to start early shifts at 7am having had no sleep whatsoever :nono:

They grudgingly changed that when they realised how many mistakes people were making because they were turning up for work in a complete state.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

SeagullBT

Sep 7, 2011
I used to work nights in a bakery. Sun, Mon Tues, Thurs & Fri nights - depending on our order sheets but usually started at 8pm and finished 5-6am. I used to get in bed about 9am, never felt right though eating dinner at 7am. It felt like I had less free time after work compared to a 9-5 job. Sunday shift was always a long day, I would be out of bed on a Sunday about 10am (couldn't waste the day in bed) and I would be up for 24 hours; not a massive problem but I remember sleeping on Monday's until nearly work time on that night.

I used to quite like it, more relaxed with just two of us working there and we could work the way we wanted. Tuesday night I used to be on my own though which wasn't much fun; my GF at the time used to visit a lot of Tuesday nights.

It's not perfect, feels like you're missing out on a lot of life (hence why I stopped after three years) but there are ++++ to working nights (no traffic) but if it was a good job I wouldn't think twice about working nights again.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I work a 3 week rotation that is 7 days (9am-7/8/9pm), 7 nights (5pm-2/3am) and 7 off. So its not a full on "night shift" but working as a manager in the restaurant industry leaves you wired afterwards. So when working nights I usually am up till 5 or 6am and will sleep till 1 or 2pm. When I have to turn around to days its a pain but I get used to it. If I could I would work just nights as I prefer them. In the summer I tend to work even longer hours as we double-triple out business. But I am on salary so its a bit of a kick in the teeth sometimes. Working 40 hours in a week or 60....cheque is still the same

Who do you work for?

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
I work part time in a night club here in Copenhagen which is over the night. Start at 11pm and finish between 4 and 7 depending on how busy it is. Fooks me right up when I have to get up for college at 11 to learn Danish but when there is no college I'm OK.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I used to be a pub landlord and so worked earlies, office hours and nights! Two years in I realised I was killing myself and went to get an office job (I asked for "anything, as long as its 9 to 5!").

Nearly twenties years working in stuffy offices from 9 to 5 and I still believe it was the best decision I ever made.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Statistically, most burglaries take place during the day, funnily enough.

Thought that's quite obvious to a burglar as people more likely to be out during day, whereas at night more risky as they stand more chance of being rumbled (either by householder or police after as streets empty)?

gully is my god

Apr 13, 2011
Hove
I do nights every christmas for the post office. 10pm till 6am.

The pay used to be really good - the reason for me doing it, with £9 /h this year however we were only on 40p more than the dayers.

Its hard fitting it around my other things - this year Im at uni, and lectures spread across the days mean no time for decent sleep during the week, just a few 2 or 3 hour naps. And then catch it up at the weekend.

I love it though. Its a weird feeling. Peaceful and theres more comradery and banter.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I do 2 days (7am-7pm) followed by 2 nights (7pm-7am) within a 24 hour Airline environment. So 4 on, then 4 off. I love the shift pattern. Get to go shopping, to the gym, down to see the parents in Brighton etc. at a time when the rest of the world is working - so avoid the busy periods nicely. Nights don't bother me at all - they're generally fairly quiet in the early hours, and we even occasionally get a little game of Halo going on the company network. If it's quiet, and the phone gets answered, it's not uncommon to have a bit of kip on the floor.

There are downsides though - can't really participate in any classes, sunday footie or anything, since the 4 day week means that my available days roll around every week.

Last edited:

May 17, 2011
1066 country
I do 12 hr shifts, 5 days on, 2 off then 5 nights on 3 off, 60hrs a week. my days off vary so its not worth me having a season ticket. Work in transport admin/security. love it. find it hard to sleep during the day but have found that wax ear plugs from boots are a must. i can't now sleep without them. I just pray there's not a fire or war outside as i wouldn't hear anything.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
At American Express in the Comms center, our shifts were 2 twelve hour day shifts, 2 twelve hour night shifts, followed by four days off... I preferred it.... meant you only tended to see management 2 days out of 8 and could pretty much do as you pleased...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Nights don't bother me at all - they're generally fairly quiet in the early hours

Exactly. Radio on, lights down, no management, watching the moon move across the sky - fantastic. Heading into town at 10am on a weekday, and only having to battle the occasional lady that lunches, rather than dealing with thousands of weekend shoppers in Churchill Square. It's years since I've ventured into town on a Saturday or Sunday for shopping.

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
I used to work shifts in the oil and gas industry....... work pattern was.... 7am - 7pm or 7pm to 7am. We used to do 4 days then 3 nights then 10 days off and then 3 days 4 nights and then 11 days off. It was great i got loads of travelling done on my 'rest' days. The only down side was the night shift was just you were on your own, but we had a TV and you could call all the other oil companies shift controllers that were there doing the same job for a chat! -Was upset when i was promoted and had to work normal hours!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
find it hard to sleep during the day but have found that wax ear plugs from boots are a must. i can't now sleep without them. I just pray there's not a fire or war outside as i wouldn't hear anything.

Really? Thanks for the tip, might check that out. I have a few sets I've picked up off planes but I wouldn't say they block much out. But better than nothing.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly. Radio on, lights down, no management, watching the moon move across the sky - fantastic. Heading into town at 10am on a weekday, and only having to battle the occasional lady that lunches, rather than dealing with thousands of weekend shoppers in Churchill Square. It's years since I've ventured into town on a Saturday or Sunday for shopping.

Me too, never have to wait days for appointments either :thumbsup:

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Well, not all night: I run a big strip pub in High Wycombe (known to Albion fans who came here when the local team drew Albion in the Cup a few years ago.) We're open until 2.00am, which means I'll get to bed 3.30 - 4.00am and then usually up and working around 9.00am. We're open all day, so the trick is to get a break: I usually go back to bed for a couple of hours 7.30ish when we're quiet and by 10.00pm I'm back up and hopefully in control. Not ideal but then I'm over retirement age and most men of my age are retired with a wife they probably don't like any more! And hey, its fun - there's always a bunch of strippers around!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here