Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think we'll sign a forward in the January transfer window?

Do you think we'll sign a forward in the January transfer window?

• Yes

Votes: 160 66.4%
  • No

Votes: 81 33.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Reckon in January it's going to be as much about who we retain as who we sign. Would be fairly easy for Newcastle to flash stupid amounts of cash in the Albion's direction and neutralise our promotion challenge at a stroke, if the Albion board decide to cash in, or the targeted player(s) decide to work-to-rule.

Disagree. Bloom could have sold Dunk, AK and Stephens of course in the summer for between £20 and £25 million.

Why would he do that in January when he's so close to getting his money back.

Personally I think Tony will go large on a loan signing, maybe with an option to buy if we go up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
By definition, any striker the club buy would be deemed to be the right striker at an acceptable price. Personally I'd think that if we're still top two at the end of the year, we'd be prepared to pay over the odds, and what's acceptable to us will be higher than before.

To a certain extent however I think the club have a very clear idea what they want and will not pay way over the odds

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Disagree. Bloom could have sold Dunk, AK and Stephens of course in the summer for between £20 and £25 million.

Why would he do that in January when he's so close to getting his money back.

I'm not saying TB would. But as we saw with Stephens in the summer, players heads can be turned by money, especially with an agent after a swift buck agitating in the background.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hogan for a club transfer record.
That. Brentford will sell, we will have to pay top price, probably the £8million we were going to flush down the toilet for Pritchard but what a signing he would be. Uncomplicated, quick, strong and deadly.

Stockdale; Bruno Duffy Dunk Bong; Knockaert Stephens Kayal Skalak; Murray Hogan

Oh my.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who else did NSC link with the Albion this summer?

Wells has scored 3 for Huddersfield while Dack has 2 for Gillingham, but Dack has 3 assists to Wells' 1.
Both have played a decent amount of game time.

If these inquiries were genuine, the Albion's current position is hardly likely to make them any cheaper.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Hogan would be a great shout, although I still think our other target in the summer was Nahki Wells and I think we'll try for him again in January. Huddersfield are doing well but I think we could offer him more.
There aren't many others in this league that I think are realistic.
We all know it will be someone from the Spanish/French leagues that we haven't heard of.

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
I doubt we will spend (or need to spend) any money on a striker, as they'll be someone on loan who can cover Muzza, Hemed and Baldock when fatigue kicks in. I'm hoping a certain man from Argentina will do us a favour and sign on a 5 month loan deal...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe that South American chap who is struggling to get a game at West Ham after signing in the summer. I forget his name.
Yep, we can always find a place for a young striker to join the youth set-up and disappear in the Lancing Triangle!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If we are serious about the P/L a loan is not the long term solution - we have Muzza filling that role already.
If we are going to get someone in, in needs to be a buy not a loan and someone who if P/L ready to insure that we get there this season [hopefuly] and can stay there next season - it's the final piece of the p/l ready jigsaw as far as I'm concerned.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I also wonder how reliable you poll is
Reliable as what? It's only our opinions on whether we will or won't, it doesn't mean we will or won't.
is the current split standing a result of acceptance of the clubs slow but sure way of going about things (no harm there) or more a reflection of the apathy regarding numerous previous failed striker signing attempts..
I'm sure the poll result is a mixture of many things, like: oops, pressed the wrong button; I think yes, but I don't want to tempt fate so will vote no; I'm a troll and will vote the opposite of what I think; etc. I imagine the majority of votes are what we think though.

I'm not saying TB would. But as we saw with Stephens in the summer, players heads can be turned by money, especially with an agent after a swift buck agitating in the background.
It's understandable if heads are turned in the summer, as a player can have a level of expectation to be released if there's a good offer. Not in January if we're challenging for promotion though. I'd expect all first choice players to be told there's no chance we'd let them go before the summer. Offers would only be accepted if the money would help bring in replacements that would improve the squad.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To a certain extent however I think the club ha[/I]ve a very clear idea what they want and will not pay way over the odds
The club will always have an idea of what they will spend, but I expect the amount they're prepared to spend in January will be higher. They'll be prepared to spend over the odds, compared with other times in our history.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
He needs pace and a good first touch. Finishing will be an obvious strength but we need to find the sort of class to match the likes of Murray, AK, Bruno and co. It wont be easy.

Someone in the mould of Shane Long would be perfect.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That. Brentford will sell, we will have to pay top price, probably the £8million we were going to flush down the toilet for Pritchard but what a signing he would be. Uncomplicated, quick, strong and deadly.

Stockdale; Bruno Duffy Dunk Bong; Knockaert Stephens Kayal Skalak; Murray Hogan

Oh my.

Brentford might sell Hogan, but not to Brighton. Tony Bloom fell out with their chairman & they dislike each other intently.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Yes, probably should sign Chicago Cub Ben Zobrist. He played for last year's World Series champion, Kansas City Royals AND this year's Chicago Cubs. And he was Man of the Series this year or whatever you call it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here