Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think the JOCKS will vote YES ?

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Please you skirt wearing piss smelling ginger drunks vote yes...your North Sea oil and whiskey won't stop you from being a no mark nation with massive living costs. The only vote you'll have is for a nil point for the remaing uk In the eurovision song conetest.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I originally thought that they would be mad to go for independence but having considered it I can't see that that they have much to lose if it fails and a lot to gain if it works. There can't be many countries that wouldn't want independence and whilst some struggle ultimately they survive and do okay. If I was scottish I would take the chance now because also I think the shock that has leapt through Westminster and the reaction to the fear that the scots might leave will also leave a door open to return and therefore they might as well go for it.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Please you skirt wearing piss smelling ginger drunks vote yes...your North Sea oil and whiskey won't stop you from being a no mark nation with massive living costs. The only vote you'll have is for a nil point for the remaing uk In the eurovision song conetest.

They will still have a massive tourist industry and can attract overseas business by having a lower tax rate for a start. Their biggest problems would be getting instance credit from the rest of the world and setting up a currency but its not impossible that they can do it

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I originally thought that they would be mad to go for independence but having considered it I can't see that that they have much to lose if it fails and a lot to gain if it works. There can't be many countries that wouldn't want independence and whilst some struggle ultimately they survive and do okay. If I was scottish I would take the chance now because also I think the shock that has leapt through Westminster and the reaction to the fear that the scots might leave will also leave a door open to return and therefore they might as well go for it.

I don't think that that a NO vote will be up for re-negotiation as I understand.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I don't think that that a NO vote will be up for re-negotiation as I understand.

Maybe a threat of that - but if its really so better together why wouldn't we? Surely the Welsh will want out if the scots go so I can't see the Queen and Westminster not leaving the door open

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Obviously they can use the pound, they just don't control it.

you say this as if its no thing. it really matters, financial services would have to leave to keep backing of a central bank, markets will charge them a couple of % more for borrowing (and they want to spend an awful lot) and they'd have to keep quantities of £ in reserve to back their internal economy.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It is certainly admirable what GB has done and irrespective that I am a Jock, the whole concept of Independence for Scotland is so ridiculous in terms of the potential cost to either an Independent Scotland OR to the rump of the existing UK. What we have is an opportunist wishing to make a name for himself in the history books as the 'one' who actually carried this forward (no matter the cost and no matter how irrelevant his argument which is all Nationalistic and with no reference to the 'real' potential issues.

Without any credible idea of where an independent Scotland would go, he is nailing his colours to the mast as the Mourinho of Scottish politics and, following the referendum he will disappear irrespective of the result as he would not wish to be 'found out' when the sh1t could potentially hit the fan.

When my UK employers offered me the opportunity of a promotion to the south of England in 1979, the then status of the SNP was an additional incentive to make that major change to my life but I am certain that it will have been in vain as a NO vote will be forthcoming - 66/34 in my opinion.

Lastly, I hope that the government, in having agreed to this referendum, will have stipulated that no further referendum will be considered for at least a further 50 years given the enormous cost of massaging the persona of that f---head and his cronies.

I should also have said that the political 'divide' in an independent Scotland would be very much more left wing than ------------ oh hang on I can't remember what, which is why it would be completely unsustainable from a Scottish point of view given their new fiscal responsibilities.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
They will still have a massive tourist industry and can attract overseas business by having a lower tax rate for a start. Their biggest problems would be getting instance credit from the rest of the world and setting up a currency but its not impossible that they can do it

Shush you lover of the skirt wearing,ginger pubed I'm security ), always seem to end up down here .

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
As the opinion polls have got closer and closer, it has seemed from press coverage as though Scotland has been moving inexorably towards a yes vote. This hasn't been helped by the antics of Cameron and Milliband who have both showed the political intelligence of a pair of 2 year olds!

However, I've also been watching the betting odds. They are currently 2 - 9 for a no vote and 7 - 2 for a yes vote. They have hardly changed and are even a bit more in favour of a no vote compared to a few days ago. The bookies are surely not so stupid and those are quite polarised odds for a 2 horse race.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I said on another thread that I expect this to go the same way as successive Australian votes on becoming a republic. A long campaign will see the anti establishment / union rhetoric reach unprecedented levels, and with it opinion polls will show successively more in favour of a split. Then when's they get in a polling booth the worry of the unknown will overtake them, they'll lose their shit and vote No.

Or to put it another way I expect the Scottish lion to be feart again.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I really hope they go. There's still 53million left in the uk, even without the oil revenue (which would need dividing up with Scotland keeping the majority) it's profits are negated by the higher spending in Scotland. So the oil argument is dead. England has nothing to gain from a no vote, except more giving of powers and more double standards in Westminster. Problems like trident will get sorted, hs2 can go on the back burner to pay for it. Scotland will have to take its national debt and everything else will be spilt in proportion.
As for the currency, well all 3 main party leaders have said there will be no monetary union and also more importantly the governor of the BoE said that a currency union was impossible as it's incompatible with our sovereignty. So those saying they can use the £ are walking a very risky line. The Scots can't join the EU with sterling and Spain will veto them joining anyway.
But living down here in Sussex I really don't see a downside in them going. I hope they do.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I predict that the exit polls will show it to be close because some of the no voters are cautious of ridicule from the nationalists. When that happens, I will pile on a high no vote percentage and we will get a result of about a 43% yes vote. We will see what transpires.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
After their excitable rhetoric over the EU the Tories would be morally obliged to hold a referendum on the terms of any currency union with an independent Scotland. That would be interesting.

In fact, currency union or not, any Westminster government should really hold a referendum to ask 'the British people' for their reaction to all the terms of the negotiated settlement that will have to be reached with Scotland.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I predict that the exit polls will show it to be close because some of the no voters are cautious of ridicule from the nationalists. When that happens, I will pile on a high no vote percentage and we will get a result of about a 43% yes vote. We will see what transpires.

Apparently there are no exit polls.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I just want it all over as I am sick to death of the whole thing.

I've been quite the reverse. I've been engaged by the whole thing. The 3 main Westminster parties all coming together to campaign with one voice has been a bit of a revelation really. It's really sparked a meaningful debate I've felt about what the UK is, and where it might go. We've been plodding along, government after government, blaming the other for the ills the current is facing, whereas this debate has gone well beyond party politics (mostly) into something much deeper, and questioning the very notion of what governance is all about.

Politically we might look back on this whole thing as one of the really big milestones in the history of our Union regardless of the outcome - I hope it's a watershed moment whether Scotland remains or goes. To get to this point and for a democratic process to be this close shows something has been going wrong and it needs to be put right. This really is a significant moment not just for Scotland, but for all of us. The future of the UK is on a very different path already from that it was on 12 months ago Yes or No.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here