Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think TB will allow CH to spend big on players this summer

Will TB let CH spend big money this summer?

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The top scorer in the Championship this season , Daryl Murphy, has scored 7 more goals than Ulloa last season already and was signed on a free transfer by Ipswich in 2013.
Troy Deeney who is on track to be scoring 20 goals in the Champ for the third season in a row was signed by Watford for £250K in 2010.
Glenn Murray who , cough , scored 31 goals in the Champ was signed on a free...shall i go on.
What we need is a 30 goal a season striker from a third division side, and sign him for a club record fee.

That way when he misses chances people won't have to change any of their rhetoric when hounding one of their own players.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The other examples are exceptions, as you well know.

here's the top Championship scorers this season... the big fees paid to Rhodes, Wilson and Assambalonga are the exceptions.
After all we spent £1.5m on Baldock anyway. A bigger or same fee than 7 of the top ten scorers in the Champ this season.

Murphy - Free
Deeney - £250K
Ighalo - Season Long Loan
Martin - Free
Jerome - £1.5m
Rhodes - £8m
Wilson - £2.5m* (undisclosed so ..press reports)
Assombalonga - 5.5m
Bamford - season long loan
Gestede - £200K (press reports)
Gray - £300k (press reports)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What we need is a 30 goal a season striker from a third division side, and sign him for a club record fee.

That way when he misses chances people won't have to change any of their rhetoric when hounding one of their own players.

CMS has had more goodwill whilst being close to useless most of the time than any other Brighton player I can remember, stop your whinging :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CMS has had more goodwill whilst being close to useless most of the time than any other Brighton player I can remember, stop your whinging :lolol:
It's like mackerel :fishing: :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
here's the top Championship scorers this season... the big fees paid to Rhodes, Wilson and Assambalonga are the exceptions.
After all we spent £1.5m on Baldock anyway. A bigger or same fee than 7 of the top ten scorers in the Champ this season.

Murphy - Free
Deeney - £250K
Martin - Free
Jerome - £1.5m
Rhodes - £8m
Assombalonga - 5.5m
While I appreciate there are cheaper options with more goals, Gestede @ £200K looks to be the deal of the division.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Murphy - Free
Deeney - £250K
Martin - Free
Jerome - £1.5m
Rhodes - £8m
Assombalonga - 5.5m

Interesting. So is the fact that our current manager released Chris Martin when he was at Norwich.

Oh well, I guess I'd better not get my hopes up that we will eventually sign a proven Championship striker come next season, just hope the next one we take a flyer on comes good :down:

How much did the likes of Burnley, Blackpool and Palace splash before gaining promotion to the PL?

I very much doubt that they went big and still succeeded

You can always pull these outlier examples out of the bag if you want - but they remain the LEAST LIKELY way of promotion.

Is that the aim of our club, the very long shot road to promotion every year?

It's a recipe for disappointment most years alas

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whatever we do we cannot spunk wages on wastrels like Kemy, flops like CMS and expense luxury squad players like Aaron Hughes.

We need three or four quality 1st XI additions and must not make the same mistake of having half the first team in on loan.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We will be condemned to being midtable fodder if we dont spend.

It's all very well going on about Kayal but it's very unlikley you can build a promotion team on freebies. Of course not impossible, just very unlikely. And the board need to do a better job backing Hughton than that.

How much did Palace spend on the untried lower league striker that took them to the PL?

Burnley paid £1m for Ings and £350k for Vokes (and £450k for Barnes). The three of them cost about the same we spent on Baldock.

It's about getting value for the money spent that matters, and that's where we failed last summer.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Spending big is not the answer,spending wisely is,

Exactly this, we can build a competitive squad without the big bucks, which is contrary and controversial to some. I'd prefer looking at some youth we have, throwing them into first team pre-season and seeing who'll fit then build a squad around what we have.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How much did Palace spend on the untried lower league striker that took them to the PL?

Burnley paid £1m for Ings and £350k for Vokes (and £450k for Barnes). The three of them cost about the same we spent on Baldock.

It's about getting value for the money spent that matters, and that's where we failed last summer.

Don't really want to point out that two of the four players you mention came from Brighton and the other one had a loan spell ( the fact that I thought he was crap means nothing obviously :smile:).. We seem to be better at losing them than getting them in. Sums up our recent transfer policy perfectly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Don't really want to point out that two of the three players you mention came from Brighton. We seem to be better at losing them than getting them in.

Didn't we get them in in the first place though?

According to many on here they were rubbish anyway.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Didn't we get them in in the first place though?

According to many on here they were rubbish anyway.

Even worse that we had them and then let them go without being able to replace them surely?

Fans AND management without a clue, we probably deserve to be where we are.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Of course it is about spending wisely, that does kind of go without saying. Ideally we should be able to pick up a bargain that no-one else has picked up on like we did with Zamora, Murray and Ulloa. However going back to the original question do I believe Bloom would provide the funds if Hughton and the recruitment team proposed a specific player they felt was key to success next season, then I believe he would.

It's all about unearthing the right player whether they are available on a free or for £5m. This summer we just identified the wrong players.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Even worse that we had them and then let them go without being able to replace them surely?

Fans AND management without a clue, we probably deserve to be where we are.

I think to be fair that Ulloa was a decent replacement for Murray, although it took the club 20 months to rectify the problem. Murray would have rejoined us had it not been for Gary Dicker breaking Will Hoskins' leg, as a swap deal had been agreed with Palace for the two players. Murray had not settled in at Palace in his first season, the same with Hoskins at the Albion.

We're all being expert with hindsight, no one expected CMS to be as moderate as he has turned out to be, although perhaps an analysis of his previous season in the Championship was revealing, although the same could have been said about Murray after one season in this division too.

As for spending 'big', there's one thing that many are casually ignoring, is that they seem a lot keener to spend someone else's money than they are their own.

Ah, so simple!

You really reject any correlation between spending money and success? Has the FFP dogma so addled all our brains now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here