Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Sami Hyypia's squad is capable of challenging for a top 6 spot?

Do you think Sami Hyypia's squad is capable of challenging for a top 6 spot?

• Yes I do

Votes: 202 93.5%
  • No I don't

Votes: 14 6.5%

• Total voters

Stumpy Tim

There are a few uncertainties for me. We don't know how good Colunga or Baldock will be for starters, we don't know if Joao will continue playing this well, and I'm not a fan of the system as I think it leaves us exposed against the better teams.

One thing for sure, we're going to play attacking football & we'll score goals - that's almost more important to me

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Without pissing on the fire too much, this is a genuine question- Is the starting 11 now as good or better than the best starting 11 in Poyet's last few games (Remember we are talking Bridge, Upson, Bridcutt, Buckley, Ulloa, Lopez, Orlandi etc).

Genuine question, not meant to be downbeat at all, just fueling the discussion....

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Just a little bit more business to strengthen our back line as we look short if we get a few injuries and suspensions. Currently though, Sami still has a squad to challenge for a top six spot! Well done to the 3 B's (and one H).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have been saying he has got shot of players who couldnt play his system and brought in ones that can so no reason why we cannot at least challenge for play offs perhaps better.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Simple really. The squad is there or thereabouts with days to spare - do you believe it is capable of challenging for a top 6 spot?
Obviously the squad is capable, but it could take time for players and manager alike to gel, leaving us lagging behind.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Yes I do. I'm not going to get carried away expecting automatic promotion and regular four goal whippings of the lesser teams in this division but we at last now seem to have a side with quality in depth. Just look at our midfield options! Gordon and Lewis will be a rock like pairing this season with Hughes as dependable back-up and we seem pretty sorted full-back wise. I'm happy with the strikers we have assembled, each one brings something different and although many are crying out for someone to fill the 'big lad' role, they forget our style has changed somewhat, and that if the situation arises O'Grady I feel would do a job just fine.

All in all, I'm feeling the same excitement I felt prior to Poyet's final season. We've had a good window, kept some familiar faces and seemingly are pushing on to achieve the dream. There were brilliant moments last campaign, but overall it felt like one giant hangover after being kicked out by a long-term girlfriend. Now, we've got a new woman and I'm feeling quietly confident for something special this year. A licker? You bet I am :cheers:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We definitely have a realistic chance of being in the mix come the end of the season, but it's a massively competitive league with at least a dozen or so teams who no-one would really be surprised to see finish in the top 6.
This, exactly. The difference between mid-table --12th 13th, 14th -- and the last playoff berth is sometimes as little as 8-10 points.

A lot of teams are in at 3-4-5-6 with a shout -- well, maybe not 3rd.

So sure, yeah, the squad is good enough. Will there be tailwinds, or headwinds, and how strong? is the real question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here